PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MKV embedded subtitles in Smart LED TV 40PFL5007H

bertez
09-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I recently bought a Philips 40PFL5007H (5000 series, 40 inches, no 3d) and everything is just great, nice TV. But I have a little probem with the mkv embedded subtitles, I can't get them to work via DLNA neither via USB.

The process is:

Update to the latest firmare
Get a typical mkv from the internets (1 track of video, 2 tracks of audio)
Get the srt subtitles and add a new track of subtitles using the last version of mkvmerge
Try to play mkv via DLNA: perfect video and audio, no problems switching between audio track, but NO subtitles (option disabled in menu)
Same happens if try to play the mvk via USB

I searched the forums and got different and sometimes opposite answers, so my questions are:

Does this TV model supports mkv embedded subtitles via DLNA? and via USB?
Should I use a different program than mkvmerge to embed the subtitles?
Is this a firmware issue that may be fixed in future releases?
Is there any workaround for this I can't imagine?

Thanks very much in advance :)

grafmarr
09-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi,

I have the same with 46PFL5507/K12 and the same questions.
Firmware: 000.091.000.000
Which DLNA server are you using?

Philips - Benedickte
09-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi Grafmarr and bertez.

.MKV files is supported. For more information about the video and sound codecs supported please look in user manual at page 64 (under "7 Product specifications").
Here you can also find what subtitles that is supported on your TV. Subtitles are supported over USB, not DLNA.

Best regards,
Benedickte

grafmarr
09-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Hi Benedickte,

Yes, .MKV files are supported, but without subtitles (embedded in MKV). MKV is not a file, this is a container (can contain multiple audio tracks and several subtitle tracks which in player TV should be selectable).
It does not matter what is specified in the user manual.
I ask, why support the format. MKV is an lame.
This can be corrected in the software yet, and this should serve opinions in this forum.

With regards,

bertez
09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Which DLNA server are you using?

I'm using twonky noww but the same happened with the windows streaming server

bertez
09-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Here you can also find what subtitles that is supported on your TV. Subtitles are supported over USB, not DLNA.
Benedickte

I couldn't enable the mkv subtitles track over USB neither

Also, are you planning to support subtitles over DLNA in future firmware releases?

Thanks for your support

Philips - Benedickte
09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I couldn't enable the mkv subtitles track over USB neither

Also, are you planning to support subtitles over DLNA in future firmware releases?

Thanks for your support

Hi Bertez.

I can confirm that embedded subtitles is not supported.

Best regards,
Benedickte

bertez
09-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi Bertez.

I can confirm that embedded subtitles is not supported.

Best regards,
Benedickte

thanks but you didn't answer my question :)

Philips - Benedickte
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Hi Bertez.

The specifiactions of future TV's is not available yet, so this is a question that cannot be answered yes or no to at this moment.

Best regards,
Benedickte

hendrik
09-30-2012, 05:04 PM
A few days ago i purchased an 55pfl6007 and overall it works fine, great view in relation to my old 32 inch CRT TV. The only problem i encounter now is the lack of support voor subtitles when playing movie via dnla. And that we do a lot. I have a Synology NAS with mediaserver and with my Philips HMP5000 mediaplayer i can play all type of media files via dlna including subtitles. I had hoped that the new 6007 would function the same way so i don'n have to use the HMP5000 any more. Sadly i still have to use an extra device. For such an expensive TV i find this very disappointing, especially when a cheap device as the HMP5000 does this without any problems.