PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with new Net TV User Interface (portal 2.5).

Philips
11-26-2010, 01:15 PM
As already announced here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?762-New-Net-TV-design-(portal-2.5)-will-be-launched-on-short-notice!&p=1521#post1521), the new Net TV portal will go live soon.
Please share your experiences with the new design here in this topic.
Channelling your input will make it easier for users to search and find relevant info.

Discuss here all your experiences when upgraded to the new portal (what you like, or what you don't like, etc.).

Thank you for your cooperation....

Jessy
11-26-2010, 01:41 PM
From what I can see on the quick guide, it looks very nice. Bring it on!

Toengel
11-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I hope it is fullscreen on my 21:9 58PFL9955... and not only 16:9...

Regards,

Toengel@Alex

Philips
11-26-2010, 03:50 PM
The portal is not in 21:9 format, 16:9 only, but with your TV you have the split screen option, half Net TV and half broadcast channel. (Wow!) Of cause movies from the video-stores are fully scalable. For video content in app’s it depends on how they programmed it, some will go full-screen, some won’t.

Philips
12-01-2010, 07:35 AM
December 1: The new NET TV portal is live! Post your remarks here!

daL
12-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Great Philips,

Congratulations! I really like the new interface. My tests haven't completed yet, but it looks like we can make a fully personalised menu. No superfluous app icons anymore. Easy drag & drop. TV PIP. It also seems to load faster (not really tested yet). Is there nothing to improve anymore?
Yes, service can always improve! My top 3:
1. support for external subtitles (sorry, has nothing to do with NetTV)
2. (again) support for external subtitles
3. (firmware) support for an external keyboard OR (nettv portal) an on-display keyboard as on many devices (mobile, remote, PSP etc.). One music app has got this display built in as well.

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
daL

Toengel
12-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi,

is the new videostore for Germany also now available?

Toengel@Alex

petasis
12-01-2010, 02:15 PM
I like the new interface, and especially the PIP of the tv inside. Is there a way to not stop the PIP while changing from the main page to applications?
Also, the white highlight box should be another colour.

Toengel
12-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi,

- language translations: Germany-Settings - right bottom: "Nutzungs bedingungen" is one word in German, so please change to "Nutzungsbedingungen"

- where in the "internet"-app is the on-screen keyboard?

- on my 58PFL9955 the "Quick Guide"-App and the "France 24" has a cross in the upper right corner and I cannot start the apps. I got an error message "App not accessible. The App you are trying to access uses newer features not available on this product". This problem does not occur on my BDP9600

- in the PIP-windows 4:3 broadcasts are stretched to 16:9

IT IS EXTREMLY SLOW!

Toengel@Alex

daL
12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
@Alex,
I agree that it's now (20:00 GMT+1) extremely slow. This morning around 9:00 it was much faster. So it probably has more to do with the hosting servers. Don't how many servers are running this portal and how load balancing etc. is configured.
The keyboard should be displayed when you click in a text box.
Good luck.

Alicia
12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
40pfl8605 owner here. Indeed, portal in extremely slow compared to old portal. Time between pressing the button on remote and switching to the app is > 10 secs !!!! Not useable at all.

Toengel
12-01-2010, 08:10 PM
@Alex,
The keyboard should be displayed when you click in a text box.
Good luck.

Hi,

one need to press the OK-Button in the text box (e.g. in the free internet APP)...

Toengel@Alex

Jorrit
12-01-2010, 09:02 PM
8605 40"
The UI is extremely slow!

jvoskes
12-01-2010, 09:21 PM
December 1: The new NET TV portal is live! Post your remarks here!
I like the new interface, but............
It shows ssometimes the tv PIP and the add, but not the menu.
It is very slow and I can't see if it is loading or just doing nothing.

I like the choices and the way they are presented.

Xtreme
12-01-2010, 10:18 PM
The new portal's GUI is looking great. Thanks. :)

Atm I cannot use it because it doesn't load anything.
Are the servers having difficulties or what is wrong?

Edit: Ok, I see... *screen capture below*

http://philips.samipupu.com/philips_services_2010-12-02_0020.jpg

Philips
12-02-2010, 08:58 AM
The speed issue (extreme slow, in the evening of December 1) was recognized and repaired.

pistoiaa
12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Great job, Philips!
I like the new GUI and above all I like very much that now radiotime and similar apps are available on 2010 TV sets too! Thank you!

Neverthless I agree with daL that there are many things to improve:
1) external subtitles support
2) improving of multimedia player ("jump to" functionality, more robustness in fast forward and fast rewind, ...)
3) again, external subtitles support and improving of multimedia player!

Ciao!

Erikrijnders
12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
* Why is there a differenve in the shown program info?? On some tv';s of Philips there are logo;s of the channels and PIP from te channel which is on. I donot have this on 37PFL8605/H12

* When is RTLXL going live ??

I think not all the services are migrated. It look like there are fewer ??

* When is thera a now or next EPG-functions coming??? Is must be on an expensive tv!!!!!

giko
12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi,

I have a 37PFL8605H/12 when i'm going to nettv (it's look great now!!!)but in the right upper corner there is no picture
when i look to satelite dish.(is connect to hdmi 2)
When i look to tv his own tuner there is a picture.
Is this good or bad?(Sorry for my bad englisch)

bas
12-03-2010, 12:29 PM
This is useful when i have searched something and turned the tv off and want to show it to someone else without typing the search words again.

mgkoeln
12-03-2010, 12:40 PM
So, now that the new NetTV has arrived, it looks nice and simple...

But what I absolutely HATE: You now first have to add Apps as Favourites to your start screen, before you can even test if you like them? That was much, much easier before! Please add a "Start App"-function to the App gallery!!!

Toengel
12-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi,

it is not possible to test the APPs which are NOT in my favorites (one the main page)... Please add a button in the APP list not only to add to the main page but also to test the app...
At the moment, I need to add an APP to the main page, before I can test it...

Toengel@Alex

Dequiero
12-03-2010, 01:04 PM
The new lay out looks very good. No complaints about the speed BUT

What a shame we still can't connect an external keyboard to the tv. This functionality would make it so much easier. Really another missed chance.

Greetings

el911wood
12-03-2010, 01:54 PM
The new lay out looks very good. No complaints about the speed BUT

What a shame we still can't connect an external keyboard to the tv. This functionality would make it so much easier. Really another missed chance.

Greetings

hi ,
u can use your iphone/ipod with the remote application in the apple app store.
there is a little screen with a keyboard function. works fine but u have to set your language on the screen to english.
regards

Jorrit
12-03-2010, 07:37 PM
hi ,
there is a little screen with a keyboard function. works fine but u have to set your language on the screen to english.
regards

Which app do you use? The apple remote app asks for an itunes library.

edit: found it, thanks!

ahasver
12-06-2010, 02:46 AM
I like the new design very well too. And now it's also fast enough.
To add and application to favourites to test it is no so much problem for me.

But it would be nice, if I can use the p+/p- Key to scroll one page in favourites and apps gallery like the browser navigation inside apps does. With the little buttons on the left it's difficult to jump to the next page.

Toengel
12-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Dear Philips,

do you read this feedback or is this just for fun? For example, the German spelling error isn't fixed yet. And I think this can be handled very fast - even by your company :D

Toengel@Alex

Dequiero
12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
@el911wood: I'm one of those people who don't have an ipod/ iphone :)

bta
12-09-2010, 07:14 PM
The PiP is cool but it's annoying that the sound is interruped while NetTV is loaded or when I switch from the main page to the App-Gallery or the internet browser. There is no interruption in sound when I switch from TV to IP-EPG where also PiP is integrated, so it should be possible on NetTV too. (TV 7605, SW 000.140.025)

Alicia
12-09-2010, 09:34 PM
What I think needs to be improved/changed:
- the white highlight in the main NetTV page needs to be another color
- too bad that the PIP window only shows TV (signal from my mediaplayer, HD DVD recorder and STB are not picked up/shown)
- you cannot check/see anywhere as far as I know, if new apps are added.

Toengel
12-10-2010, 07:45 AM
- you cannot check/see anywhere as far as I know, if new apps are added.

Hi,

just go into the APP-App... on the top there is a pulldown menü (I think it is titled with "All"?). There you can choose "new"...

Toengel@Alex

Waspy
12-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Just two more features for NetTV:

a) add a "Start" Button to your App-Gallery to start apps directly without the need to add it before to your personal app store.

b) add a "Bookmark this" to the Option-Menu if browsing with the internet browser

greetz
Waspy

cendol
12-11-2010, 02:32 PM
My experiences with the new NetTV portal:
Positive:
+ better look-and-feel
Downsides:
- menu not accessible when decoder is on. See this topic: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?812-NetTV-Menu-not-accessible
Tips:
- enhance navigation between pages (home, back, forward, go back few pages, etc.)
- enhance navigation on screen (cursor not just from link to link, but also up/down/left/right). Sometimes I can't see where my cursor is
- manage bookmarks (new, delete, sort, etc)
- why not show last visited apps first?
- to be short: make it like a regular internet browser

Alicia
12-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi,

just go into the APP-App... on the top there is a pulldown menü (I think it is titled with "All"?). There you can choose "new"...

Toengel@Alex

Found it ! Thanks.

Daniel03
12-11-2010, 04:58 PM
hi ,
regards
...and how do I set the language to english ( my native language is german!) Wouldn't it be more easy to use the regular iPad keyboard layout? Philips, take over!

Toengel
12-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi,

more language/spelling errors (German Net TV):

- as a reminder: bottom right "Nutzungsbedingungen" is one word without a space
- APP widget: if I click on "All Services" (german "Alle Dienste") the headline of the pull down menu isn't translated. It is in english: "Category". It needs to be translated to "Kategorie"

Toengel@Alex

Daniel03
12-14-2010, 02:09 PM
After some deeper evaluation I found navigation in the app screens ( paging through the app screens for picking favourites) very tediuous. There used to be more apps on the display compared to just four per page right now. So there is a page key absolutely lacking. Best candidate is the "P+/P-" key which is currently unused in this screen; Currently paging through the apps list needs at least three keystrokes to accomplish.
The paging through lists also applies to the various apps from different origins. Only up and down key is available, which makes browsing through long lists ( example: the new released ARD Mediathek) of items very time consuming. A change would be a great Christmas gift, Philips!

avia
12-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I think that so many apps MUST be categorized by user.
If i have for exapmle ten screens (pages) of apps then i really can't nomally use them. This flat list is unusable.
I want to categorize apps in several topics, for exapmle
- TV channels
- fun
- social networks
- etc

janefs
12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I am a new user to Net TV. I tried the old user interface when I bought my tv 3 months ago, but gave up as the experience was horrible. I have a 42fpl8404h/12. I preferred the net connections on the 8404 ovet the 2010 models.

I expect Philips to continue to upgrade the 2009 models in line with the 2010 models, as do many other forum members with 2009 models.

Now the new UI.

Pro: It is easier than before but not perfect.
It is easy to add apps - I added the radio no problem.

Cons: It is difficult to see where the cursor (or selected cell) is.
It is painful to enter any text. A remote keyboard app/interface is needed urgently, NOT the iPhone/iPad option. I don't have either and consider it an unacceptable expense to have to buy one as a keyboard for the tv.

New: Is there a full user guide for newbies? The short guide is ok except it doesn't show the remote delivered with my tv.
Would a mouse function be possible?

avia
12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
It needs to be translated to "Kategorie"

Not only there. In russian for example Argentina is still written in Latin letters, not cyrilic...

el911wood
12-22-2010, 11:30 AM
hi philips,
it looks like the videos at some of the german "mediathek"s are stoping or crushing after app. 20 minutes of viewing.
can u confirm this or could this be an error of the provider of the application.
thx

Toengel
12-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I also experienced this in the ARD Mediathek...

Toengel@Alex

Nettle
12-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Dear Philips,

I've got a 37PFL8605m/08 with the latest firmware version installed.

When will be possible to use an external USB wireless keyboard to interact with NET TV?

The "on screen keyboard" is too slow in order to introduce adresses and/or strings.

regards

v-man
12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I had the same problems with ZDF Mediathek after approx. 20 minutes: no sound and corrupt pictures!

Another question: is there way to fast forward mediathek videos?

Yours...

bta
01-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi,

I do not have this problem while watching the ZDF Mediathek - I've watched two tv showes over 28 minutes without any problems.

Regards
bta

bta
01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi

PiP works fine when I'am watching TV via DVB-C and start NetTV via the home menu.

When I'am running a DVD (on HDMI port) and start NetTV the PiP is black. The DVD-Video is not showen on the NetTV home. I think PiP should work with any source. And what happes if someone watchs TV over a external reciver connected via HDMI. Doe's PiP work or not?

Redards
bta

(40PFL7605H/12, FW 140.027)

bta
01-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Hi,

my NetTV home contains 2 pages. Now I've removed an App from the first page. The result is, that the last position of this page will be empty an there are no changes on the second page. Despite of this I've assumed, that the first App from the second page will be shifted to the last position of the first page in order the keep the number of pages as small as possible and keep the first page as full as possible.

I've observed this with the FW 140.025 and 140.027 on my 40pfl7605H/12.

regards
bta.

Philips
01-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi, my NetTV home contains 2 pages. Now I've removed an App from the first page. The result is, that the last position of this page will be empty an there are no changes on the second page. Despite of this I've assumed, that the first App from the second page will be shifted to the last position of the first page in order the keep the number of pages as small as possible and keep the first page as full as possible. regards bta.

Hi bta,

You can still move the apps around manually....
Some people create pages per subject, e.g. a video page with video apps, a news page, or a radio page.
Then you don't want that the apps would automatically shift as you suggest.
Im afraid we cannot please everybody, but with this solution it is okay for most parties :D

bta
01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Hi NetTVMod,

thx for replay.
If this is implemented as a feature it's fine for me :-) although i've not expected this.

But if this behaviour is a feature I think its implemented only half the way:
It is ok if I remove an App, but if I move an App at a allready filled page all consecutive Apps are shifted by exact one position. But if the proposition is to keep the pages as they are, the result must be to insert an new page with one item and shift the consecutive pages.

In this case it'will be fine if the P+ and P- key can be used to zap one page ahead or back like in the channel list additional to the small squares on the left side of NetTV home.

Regards
bta

kwesth
01-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Really the user experience w. NetTV is almost a joke. Main reasons being really slow rendering and the aboslute showstopper being the remote controls' used for this. A keyboard/and or some new device like a WII controller is absolutely imperative, if the NetTV thing is to be taken seriously.

bds2k4
03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
i wanted to know if net tv portal 2.5 was going to be added onto 46pfl5705d/f7 model in the us

Philips
03-28-2011, 03:26 PM
As you can read in this (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1171) topic, Netfix in the USA is different from the European NetTV. So the new portal will not be added to your model.

exitido
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
"Really the user experience w. NetTV is almost a joke. Main reasons being really slow rendering and the aboslute showstopper being the remote controls' used for this. A keyboard/and or some new device like a WII controller is absolutely imperative, if the NetTV thing is to be taken seriously. "
you can use your mobile phone to write in the tv...

Constantinos19
01-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Are you going to update netv tv with lg & sharp so to be more interesting? Or net tv will be as it is, Poor comparing to samsung. Please make dvd rentals and in other countries so to be able to watch it too. More game will be great to add, Skype too. Redesing please your net tv/

Philips admin
02-07-2012, 09:54 AM
This thread is closed. Please look/post here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4312-New-quot-Smart-TV-quot-user-interface) for any issues with the new Net TV (Smart TV) portal.