PDA

View Full Version : MKV formats

eladfern
09-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Hay there
1.My brother has a Philips TV model: 47PFL7404H/12
when he connet an external Hard drive to it, with the usb connection, it doesnt play .mkv movies only .avi
does a software update will solve the problem? i have to mentiom that he has never upsate the software

2. if this problem can be sokved, i have another question.Can he buy a wireless card to connect to the tv and to stream movies from the pc to the tv ?

Thank you
Elad

Philips - Benedickte
10-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Hay there
when he connet an external Hard drive to it, with the usb connection, it doesnt play .mkv movies only .avi
does a software update will solve the problem? i have to mentiom that he has never upsate the software

2. if this problem can be sokved, i have another question.Can he buy a wireless card to connect to the tv and to stream movies from the pc to the tv ?

Thank you
Elad

Hi Elad.

Welcome to the forums.

1. The reason why.mkv files does not play is because the TV does not support this format.

2. If you want to connect your PC to the TV it needs to be with a DVI, HDMI or VGA cable. See here (http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=GB&mid=Link_FAQs&view=aa12_view_partial.html&session=20121002165845_80.254.147.236&list=aa12_list_partial.html&slg=ENG&ctn=47PFL7404H/12&dct=FAQ&refnr=0071807&faqview=1) for how to do it.

Best regards,
Benedickte

eladfern
10-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Hi Elad.

Welcome to the forums.

1. The reason why.mkv files does not play is because the TV does not support this format.

2. If you want to connect your PC to the TV it needs to be with a DVI, HDMI or VGA cable. See here (http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=GB&mid=Link_FAQs&view=aa12_view_partial.html&session=20121002165845_80.254.147.236&list=aa12_list_partial.html&slg=ENG&ctn=47PFL7404H/12&dct=FAQ&refnr=0071807&faqview=1) for how to do it.

Best regards,
Benedickte

Tank you.And a software update wont solve it ?

eladfern
01-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Tank you.And a software update wont solve it ?
i am still waiting for answer about it...

vanderkoppel
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
i am still waiting for answer about it...

I do not think this option will become available. MKV format is used on blueray discs and so you run into issues like copyrights. Same problem with VOB format used on DVD''s.
The workaround is to use media streaming software on your PC, like TVersity, Nero Media Home, Wild Media Stream, XBMC, etc..
Until now my best experience is with Wild Media Stream. Plays all formats and does handle sub titles.
Not the easiest program, but than you can change almost eveything you want.
Nero does not handle all formats and does not display sub titles.
TVersity is also a very good program, but I could not get sub titles working.
XBMC I have not tried yet.

vanderkoppel
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Hay there

Thank you
Elad

About subject 2.
Philips has a USB wireless N adapter, PTA01, which you can use for this purpose.
I heard from other people who also worked with other brand wireless adapters, but I have no information about this. My TV has wireless in itself so no need for this option.

chrisham
01-08-2013, 01:22 PM
About subject 2.
Philips has a USB wireless N adapter, PTA01, which you can use for this purpose.
I heard from other people who also worked with other brand wireless adapters, but I have no information about this. My TV has wireless in itself so no need for this option.

I also heard that *some* other WiFi dongles might work - but be careful:

It will only work if the TV has drivers for your WiFi dongle! Without the drivers, there is no chance at all for it to work.
Therefore, most likely only dongles that use the same WiFi circuit as the Philips one can work. Perhaps Google can help ...

vanderkoppel
01-08-2013, 02:11 PM
I also heard that *some* other WiFi dongles might work - but be careful:

It will only work if the TV has drivers for your WiFi dongle! Without the drivers, there is no chance at all for it to work.
Therefore, most likely only dongles that use the same WiFi circuit as the Philips one can work. Perhaps Google can help ...

Fully agree with this statement.
But the dongle I heard about was not a simple WiFi dongle. I do not recall the exact details, but it was a dongle whith active (Android) software on it and its own IP address (if I remember correctly). So in fact is was a very small computer, hooked up the the USB port.
But as said before I do not recall the details. If you are interested I can get some more information about it.

Manuj
01-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I do not think this option will become available. MKV format is used on blueray discs and so you run into issues like copyrights. Same problem with VOB format used on DVD''s.
The workaround is to use media streaming software on your PC, like TVersity, Nero Media Home, Wild Media Stream, XBMC, etc..
Until now my best experience is with Wild Media Stream. Plays all formats and does handle sub titles.
Not the easiest program, but than you can change almost eveything you want.
Nero does not handle all formats and does not display sub titles.
TVersity is also a very good program, but I could not get sub titles working.
XBMC I have not tried yet.

XBMC (free and cross platform) is supporting almost all formats. MKV and ISO included (I always dump my DVDs into ISO so that I can access them on my NAS from TV/Smartphone/tablet).

MKV is just the outside box (open source multimedia container) that can include many different formats and overcome some AVI limitations.
So it could be that the mkv was not built correctly, I mean that the TV is not handling this particular Mkv correctly, or that the internal format is not supported (such as an audio codec that the TV is not able to decode). People often wrongly say that a player is not supporting MKV whereas it is only the video/audio format that is not supported.
So you should maybe take one working AVI file, and create an MKV file from it and try out again (put video as first stream). This way you'll know better if your TV is supporting MKV (and the problem is not a Codec). Search for a tool like MKVToolnix for instance and make sure with VLC if the mkv is readable (PC tool with good Mkv support).

You may also then try to demultiplex / Remultiplex the Mkv, as well as just dumping into an AVI format. There are free tools for that.
Have fun !

eladfern
01-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks
I have just update the TV with the latest software. it didnt help... anyway i think i will just buy one of the dongle which turn your tv to smart tv

vanderkoppel
01-14-2013, 02:11 PM
XBMC (free and cross platform) is supporting almost all formats. MKV and ISO included (I always dump my DVDs into ISO so that I can access them on my NAS from TV/Smartphone/tablet).

MKV is just the outside box (open source multimedia container) that can include many different formats and overcome some AVI limitations.
So it could be that the mkv was not built correctly, I mean that the TV is not handling this particular Mkv correctly, or that the internal format is not supported (such as an audio codec that the TV is not able to decode). People often wrongly say that a player is not supporting MKV whereas it is only the video/audio format that is not supported.
So you should maybe take one working AVI file, and create an MKV file from it and try out again (put video as first stream). This way you'll know better if your TV is supporting MKV (and the problem is not a Codec). Search for a tool like MKVToolnix for instance and make sure with VLC if the mkv is readable (PC tool with good Mkv support).

You may also then try to demultiplex / Remultiplex the Mkv, as well as just dumping into an AVI format. There are free tools for that.
Have fun !

You are correct about MKV beeing a container for other type of files. However most streaming software can handle the most common formats available inside MKV. So is is easy to say the program supports MKV athough technically not correct.
This is also what I see in daly practice. Programs on the PC like Wimdows Media Player have no problems with MKV files while my TV has (so the TV does not support the video/audio files inside the MKV file).
If I use a programs which can transcode, I have no problems with the MKV files.
And now my problem with your remark that XBMC supports almost all formats.
This is what I read on the XBMC site:
''me files can be shared from XBMC using the built-in UPnP server and files scanned into the Video library. XBMC will not currently transcode any files, so only file formats that your TV/device can natively playback will work. This will only work with video (so you won't see XBMC's GUI) and currently does not work with add-on content.''
So to my opinion this would mean the files you stream with XBMC are only visible is the used file format can be handled by the TV. XBMC can not transcode a unsupported file format (unsupported by the TV) into a supported file format. This also would mean XBMC cannot handle subtitles sinve mosty of the time subtiltles are only supported via Transcode.
This is also what I noticed when trying XBMC. It did not support m MKV files and VOB files and subtiles.
Which is a petty because the user interface is beautifull.

Manuj
01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Well, XBMC is a player (client) at first. And it plays almost all formats, new version (Frodo) will provide very latest. Videos can be on platform (such as on PC hard-disk) or streamed from a NAS (via UPNP/DLNA). So this is the CLIENT side.

What you read is about the built-in UPNP SERVER.
Meaning you can have XBMC act as a player (connected via HDMI/DVI/VGA), or stream video to another player (via Upnp transport protocol).

For sure, if you use that built-in streaming server, XBMC is not transcoding one format to another, so you still have your TV player (client) to support the format, just like when you use another PC or NAS Upnp server.

Just like if you start your tablet/Phone/laptop, you may had previously the TV player proposing to stream from those sources. Because those products can be clients, or server (and stream to others).