PDA

View Full Version : Please add a now/next feature in TV mode

Toengel
12-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi,

please add a "now/next" feature which shows the current broadcast and the next one in an on-screen display. For example, this feature could be mapped to the OK-button in the TV mode, since at the moment the OK-button has there no function.

My 50 EUR PC TV-Card has such functionality, but my 4000 EUR Philips-TV lacks of this feature.

Toengel@Alex

m5jf
12-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Right now and again next function and integrate the same DVB-S2 tuner fully integrated into the LCD at the K-models. IP EPG and red button is on no function. Teletext does not have the features such as DVB-C.

Erikrijnders
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Right now and again next function and integrate the same DVB-S2 tuner fully integrated into the LCD at the K-models. IP EPG and red button is on no function. Teletext does not have the features such as DVB-C.

I can make nothing out off your reply. We want an on screen now/next function when we zap through the channels. I don't wanne search for information that can be porvided on screen. For an expensive tv as i bought i minimaly expect this feature (which is on every settopbox which you can buy for € 50,-))

petasis
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I also want this feature...

pistoiaa
12-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I totally agree in requesting this "feature" (feature? This should be a basic normal working for a TV like these) and I really can't understand why Philips have produced all the 2010 TV sets without it (the 2009 ones did have it!).

el911wood
12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
hi philips,
i have an 5 year old philips dsr-9005 with an useable epg, whats running/whats next and some other informations like date time, signal informations and so on when i'm switching through the channels.
so it should be easy for philips to support this stuff in a 3k euro television.
regards

Faassen
12-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I totally agree. This feature should be available on every TV! And: where is the former page button for TXT hidden?

daL
12-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Philips,

I totally agree with the other posters. This is basic functionality which every customer expects to find in a TV.

1. Do you know if it's on the roadmap for the next firmware?
2. Are the priorities for a next development cycle at your end really depending on what is being posted in this forum? I know the answer is yes for bugs like the 'no teletext after nettv'. But what about requested functionality like "now/next" and "external subtitle support"? Are you counting votes?

Maybe you can give some background info on the above answers. I'm certain it would shine some positive light on this forum.

Kind regards,
daL

bta
12-09-2010, 07:29 PM
A "now/next-function via the ok-button" is realy missing. Although I know that this function isn' there I instinctively press the ok-button bevore I choose the optiones menue ... what is realy circumstandial just to get the informations whats running right now at tv. Therefore I suppose that almost all customers will appreciate a "now/next-function via the ok-button".
There is al lot of sense and simplicity in my philips tv but "now/next-function via the ok-button" realy makes sense and realy brings simplicity.

Waspy
12-10-2010, 09:22 AM
"Now & Next" is an extra licensable feature of the EPG provider.
Thats the reason, why Philips talks about a "industry changed standard".

el911wood
12-10-2010, 11:05 AM

my tv was to be high in price,so i think i have paid the licence :rolleyes:

trueblue
12-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I got my (2010) 32pfl7605h yesterday, and can't belive it lacks of this featue!!
That's really basic!
Firmwareupdate??

petasis
12-10-2010, 03:18 PM

This is wrong. Can you provide a link that supports it?
The TV already has now/next support, but in the wrong place.

pistoiaa
12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I confirm petasis is right!
And I add that now/next not only is in the wrong place but also in a completely wrong modality (on a totally black background)

Erikrijnders
12-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Yeah???? I donot get wat you want to say with thist quote. Philips can talk what they want, butter a now and next featureis something i expect on an expensive tv. Philips should make thing better (like in there old slogan) and not cover up with quotes which give their customers an irritated feeling.

If I had known this feature is not supported by Philips I would have bought an other tv and not froim Philips. Every Customer expects this on his new tv. So i didnot get what I expected from mu Phlips tv an I think Phlips should do everything within their power to make sure this feature is in their new softwarerelease.

Waspy
12-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Look here:

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/40pfl8664h_12/40pfl8664h_12_fhi_eng.pdf
Since this firmware release there is no "Now and Next banner" after channel change.

Q5481_0. 26.33.15
• To disable Now and Next program banner after channel change. This is a new EPG
(Electronic Programme Guide) requirement.

Here a German forum with more details from a Philips support technician:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=152&thread=7103&postID=1264#1264

and here
http://www.digitalfernsehen.de/Herstellern-droht-hohe-Lizenzabgabe-fuer-EPG.news_252591.0.html

For English please use Google Translate
http://translate.google.de/

Waspy

Daniel03
12-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I can understand that the licence fee issue would apply to the cheaper models of the 3xxx series or even the 5xxx series, but why in the world even the 8xxx or 9xxx models are affected, although the price is way out of bounds to be called "cheap" !
By the way, luckily my 5xx4 models I own still exhibit the "now and then" display, whereas my 8xx4 FTV does not have this feature anymore! Shame on Philips.

Erikrijnders
12-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Look here:

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/40pfl8664h_12/40pfl8664h_12_fhi_eng.pdf
Since this firmware release there is no "Now and Next banner" after channel change.

Q5481_0. 26.33.15
• To disable Now and Next program banner after channel change. This is a new EPG
(Electronic Programme Guide) requirement.

http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=152&thread=7103&postID=1264#1264

and here
http://www.digitalfernsehen.de/Herstellern-droht-hohe-Lizenzabgabe-fuer-EPG.news_252591.0.html

For English please use Google Translate
http://translate.google.de/

Waspy

I say Philips must buy the license. Its total crap this feature is not on my expensive tv! If Philips doesnot have the license they must obtain it. Every tv had this, so why doesnot Philips have it??

el911wood
12-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I confirm petasis is right!
And I add that now/next not only is in the wrong place but also in a completely wrong modality (on a totally black background)

and after i've pressed two buttons...
install it on the ok button philips, like all other vendors...

ahasver
01-02-2011, 04:35 PM

and here
The first link describes an answer of philips support claiming a patent issue. It seems to be a trivial patent but the benefit of its use is limited. So don't paying for it and disabling this feature is acceptable for me. My tv has still this feature but its not useful to automaticly get now/next displayed after every channel switching. I'd like to switch it off 'cause it's slowing down zapping and it's confusing for me. But getting Now/Next via Info-Key is useful and is only one key-press more if Now/Next display is wished. Is displaying Now/Next via Info-Key disabled in your versions too?

The second link describes licence issues for EPG but no patent issues. So it may be related to EPG-Support in different countries but not related to this thread.

A "now/next-function via the ok-button" is realy missing.... Therefore I suppose that almost all customers will appreciate a "now/next-function via the ok-button".
There is al lot of sense and simplicity in my philips tv but "now/next-function via the ok-button" realy makes sense and realy brings simplicity.No, at least for me it doesn't. Better would be to navigate via working EPG-List so I can see running transmission before I switch to channel via OK! But this is limited by the number of channels in preferred channel in DVB-EPG and in my case by currently no more working IP-EPG.

petasis
01-02-2011, 10:52 PM
There are no licensing issues covering EPG. It is a DVB-T feature, and any DVB-T device can have it. The threads describe problems with *specific channels*, that want money to provide their EPG... In such case they try to scramble EPG info, but again this relates to specific channels...

epsylon
03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I want this feature on my 7605 2010 TV! It is a basic requirement for a current TV!

petasis
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Who doesn't want now/next and a proper DVB-T EPG implementation...

jielse
03-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Absolutely support a now/next feature in TV mode. Also please add the possibility to show time.

regards

Corneel
03-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I do not understand what you all are crying about?
I put my TV on a channel, press the options button, just above volume, there I can choose "programmes" and there I see NOW (on TV) and NEXT (on TV).
I have a 32PFL7605/12 on DVB-T.
The feature you ask for is already available in your TV!

Toengel
03-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I think the people want an onscreen display of the actual/next broadcast DURING the zapping process.

Toengel@Alex

Erikrijnders
03-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I think the people want an onscreen display of the actual/next broadcast DURING the zapping process.

Toengel@Alex

Indeed, LIKE EVERY OTHER BRAND has this option

Erikrijnders
03-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Absolutely support a now/next feature in TV mode. Also please add the possibility to show time.

regards

Are you out of your mind??? i want to see a box wich contains this info during zapping. LIK EVERY OTHER BRAND!!!! I expect this on an expensive tv.

Toengel
03-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Are you out of your mind??? i want to see a box wich contains this info during zapping. LIK EVERY OTHER BRAND!!!! I expect this on an expensive tv.

Hi,

wrong quote?

Toengel@Alex

Erikrijnders
03-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi,

wrong quote?

Toengel@Alex

yes, sorry

gonzo
04-21-2011, 03:21 AM
I found a cure for the totally lame channel surfing software in my Philips TV...

I bought myself a Humax Freeview+ HD recorder - it's software is brilliant compared to the utterly dreadful catastrophe that is the Philips TV software and you no longer have to suffer that stupid remote control where everything you want is buried in a menu somewhere.

Toengel
04-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Hi,

I love my remote. For only watching TV it is brilliant. But I'd like also to have an OSD for Now/Next...

Toengel@Alex

Erikrijnders
04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
ALL customers want that. But Philips doesnot seem to give a damn to what we want.

bta
04-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I found a cure for the totally lame channel surfing software in my Philips TV...

I bought myself a Humax Freeview+ HD recorder - it's software is brilliant compared to the utterly dreadful catastrophe that is the Philips TV software and you no longer have to suffer that stupid remote control where everything you want is buried in a menu somewhere.

Hi gonzo,

I do not agree that the remote of my 2010 model is stupid. For me it's just the other way arround. The remote includes all I need for TV, watch videos and use NetTV - it is still a TV and nothing else. In comparison to that my panasonic db player has hundreds of buttons but over the last year I need exact 8 of them so why is the rest there.BTW the player has viera cast - the user interface of viera cast is a lot of better than the NetTV UI but the amount of avialable services at NetTV is enormous compared to vc.

regards
bta

Toengel
07-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi,

please see: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1915-Now-Next-amp-IP-EPG-Recording-(PVR)

@Philips

Can you PLEASE give us some explanations:

1.) Why did you change the Now/Next behaviour?

2.) Can can you make the "What's on" feature transparend AND / OR please do NOT mute the currend broadcast sound!

Toengel@Alex

Erikrijnders
07-15-2011, 05:12 PM
double post

Erikrijnders
07-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi,

please see: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1915-Now-Next-amp-IP-EPG-Recording-(PVR)

@Philips

Can you PLEASE give us some explanations:

1.) Why did you change the Now/Next behaviour?

2.) Can can you make the "What's on" feature transparend AND / OR please do NOT mute the currend broadcast sound!

Toengel@Alex

Philips answers with the utmost arrogance.

1) now/next feature: Philips read what WE CUSTOMERS want. We want now/next box when zapping LIKE ALL OTHER BRANDS. Its not kind of the standard, its THE standard!!!!

I and all other consumers of Philips want a box when zapping and not silly options I have to go through. So answer us when you are going to change this, not what we have and how it works, because we know what we have (AND DONOT WANT!!!!!!)

2) Phlips, tell us when IP-EPG will be available for CI+-users in Holland with Ziggo en UPC (2010-models). The certification can be changed buy contacting Ziggo and UPC about this problem. As customer of Philips we demand the functionallities we bought and that can not be blocked by third parties (that kind of hacking a computer and taking over control!!!)

Above that the 2011-models do support IP-EPG with CI+ and Ziggo/UPC. So whats the problem than for the 2010-models??????

3) Why is USB-recording not supported for the 2010-models?? A customer that bought a 2010-model will buy an new tv-set over 10 years and not a year later!! So we demand support and new features.

I get the feeling that Philips thinks that by reacting that the things are what they are the customers will be satisfied, it gets me angrier. Philips must ansure that their customers are happy, but they donot do a thing to solven problems and donot react when they will solve problems.

Toengel
07-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi,

regarding USB recording on 2010 series... I think the hardware isn't strong enough for encryption processes...

Toengel@Alex (Toengel@Alex)

Erikrijnders
07-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Hi,

regarding USB recording on 2010 series... I think the hardware isn't strong enough for encryption processes...

Toengel@Alex (Toengel@Alex)

It would be nice to hear this from Philips. Maybe Philips should react to my questions point 1 + 2 in a proper way. Philips is so afraid of the reactions they even closed the topic after coming with their arrogant statement (I cannot mention an other name to it)

Waspy
07-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Rovi Corporation is the patent holder of a huge multimedia patent portfolio.
The old Gemstar TV Guide was owned by Macrovision which changed its name to Rovi Corporation.

Toshiba and others has licensed Rovis EPG
http://www.rovicorp.com/company/newscenter/pressreleases/1434_15475.htm
http://www.rovicorp.com/company/newscenter/pressreleases/1434_15069.htm

If someone is interested about the EPG license fees in Germany:

(German Links)
http://vg-media.de/de/epg-tarif-menu.html

Waspy

Erikrijnders
07-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Be suprised. This license or patent you are talking about cannot be the reason anymore (certainly not in the Netherlands, but I think this court jurisdiction means that this is a change for all countries:
http://www.digitalekabeltelevisie.nl...zaak_ove.shtml

TRANSLATEDZiggo has won a lawsuit that was filed by the American Rovi. Ziggo HAS won a lawsuit filed by the American That was Rovi. Rovi Ziggo had sued for infringement of a patent on their EPG. Rovi Ziggo was sued for Infringement of a patent on Their EPG. The court stated, however, that patent (patent is a Dutch term for what the rest of the world's patent calls it) "void", and thus was Ziggo acquitted because "an invalid patent no infringement." The court Stated, however, That patent (patent is a Dutch term for what the rest of the world's patent calls it) "void", and Galanthus Ziggo was acquitted because "an invalid patent no infringement."

Rovi owns the European patent EP 1244300 ("Method and apparatus for accessing information about television programs"). Rovi owns the European patent EP 1244300 ("Method and apparatus for accessing information about television programs"). In that patent describes an Electronic Program Guide, and presenting program information when changing channel. That patent Describes in an electronic program guide, program information and presenting When changing channel.

Ziggo argued that the patent is invalid because it would be "addition of matter, patenting a computer program and presentation of data, lack of novelty and lack of inventiveness" The court gave Ziggo are right, and has the patent for the Netherlands destroyed. Ziggo argued thats the patent is invalid Because it would be "addition under or matter, patenting a computer program and presentation of data, Lack of novelty and Lack of inventive ness" The court gift Ziggo are right, and Has The patent for the Netherlands destroyed. Rovi was ordered to pay the legal costs incurred by Ziggo, an amount of € 151,033.80. Rovi was ordered to pay the legal costs Incurred by Ziggo, an Amount of € 151,033.80.

So, Philips, now the patent is not the reason anymore this cannot be a reason to withhold us from a now/next box when zapping. Please react when Philips is going to implement this on all models!!!

el911wood
07-21-2011, 08:44 AM
hey folks,
regardless of the licence fees for the now and next support in firmware (that i have sure payed with my 2700 euro tv :cool: and installed is in the tv but not displayed during channel switching) , could philips think about a firmware update with costs for the customers like other manufactures has done (denon for example).

i think i would pay for a firmware with new functions like now/next at zapping and time shift support at the sd card for example.
think about philips

Erikrijnders
07-21-2011, 05:07 PM
I think I already paid for now/nect box when zapping. As customer I expect this to be on my tv, regardless of the brand. Its the standard nowadays.

el911wood
07-22-2011, 08:54 AM
hey,
i think it is a legal way for philips, to give new (!) functions with a subject to a charge to the customers.
maybe a suggestion for a poll thread ?
regards

Erikrijnders
07-22-2011, 05:35 PM
hey,
i think it is a legal way for philips, to give new (!) functions with a subject to a charge to the customers.
maybe a suggestion for a poll thread ?
regards

I donot think so. I bought an expensive tv. So why should I pay for something thats on all other tv-brands for free!!! Stupid idea and I'm never going to pay more than I already did!