PDA

View Full Version : Undefined behaviour of the TV when connecting to DLNA: some tips....

Philips
10-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Some people on the forum report that their TV shows strange behaviour when connected to a DLNA server, like rebooting, can't get connected, does not see the server, etc..
One of our posters (tnx "weijte000" :)) experienced similar issues with his setup (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?8219-52pfl9606H-12-Cisco-Linksys-Connectivity-issues-(Reboot)&p=42555&viewfull=1#post42555), but was able to solve it in the following way:
1. Remove all attached devices and run the network for a day, see if the problem persists. If not, it's one of the connected peripherials.
2. Do a factory reset on (at least) the router. Disconnect all connected network devices like NAS devices. Test networking with direct connection to the router and internet and no other devices attached. Then start adding the other devices again one by one and test after each device.

Some additional tips:
3. Take care that ALL network connected devices run the latest software version.
4. Do not select only the 802.11n wireless standard in the router setup. The (older) TV's cannot handle this. Always choose 802.11b/g/n (multi standard).

Hope this will help in some cases.
Regards,
JuAn

japao
10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Some people on the forum report that their TV shows strange behaviour when connected to a DLNA server, like rebooting, can't get connected, does not see the server, etc..
One of our posters (tnx "weijte000" :)) experienced similar issues with his setup (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?8219-52pfl9606H-12-Cisco-Linksys-Connectivity-issues-(Reboot)&p=42555&viewfull=1#post42555), but was able to solve it in the following way:
1. Remove all attached devices and run the network for a day, see if the problem persists. If not, it's one of the connected peripherials.
2. Do a factory reset on (at least) the router. Disconnect all connected network devices like NAS devices. Test networking with direct connection to the router and internet and no other devices attached. Then start adding the other devices again one by one and test after each device.

Some additional tips:
3. Take care that ALL network connected devices run the latest software version.
4. Do not select only the 802.11n wireless standard in the router setup. The (older) TV's cannot handle this. Always choose 802.11b/g/n (multi standard).

Hope this will help in some cases.
Regards,
JuAn

I have linux debian server - router, installed mediatomb and minidlna. DLNA function work correctly on PC, iPad, iPhone. Connection is wifi and wired.

Why DLNA not working correct on TV 47pfl4307H fw 0.90, 0.91, 0.92 ????.
DLNA disintegration connection after a few minutes (approximately 30 min.)

Tv is connected wired RJ45, no wifi.

Please excuse my english.

Toengel
10-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Hi,

I also read that some people could solve the "disconnection from DLNA server after some minutes". They just put another switch between the internet router and the TV.

Toengel@Alex

japao
10-12-2012, 08:08 AM
DLNA play is also disabled if applies to around 30 minutes after turning on the TV. TV write then you have to turn on PC and media server.
I think that it may somehow be related to power management, network card in TV. Will help then switching from dhcp to static and vice versa. But this is not a solution to the problem because then again after about 30 minutes of not working.

Same problem is media renderer in TV.

japao
10-23-2012, 01:33 PM
DLNA play is also disabled if applies to around 30 minutes after turning on the TV. TV write then you have to turn on PC and media server.
I think that it may somehow be related to power management, network card in TV. Will help then switching from dhcp to static and vice versa. But this is not a solution to the problem because then again after about 30 minutes of not working.

Same problem is media renderer in TV.

problem is also fw 0.93

after 30 minutes tv shows this:

tomulli
10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Although Philips does not seems to be willing to admit problems, it becomes clear there is an error in their DLNA support implementation and its bundling to other network services. It s nice example how end user experience and brand perception can be destroyed by bugs and bad firmware. I decided to not buy any Philips TV anymore due to this experience.

For those having problems with 20-30 minutes play time thru DLNA there are workarounds for few often used servers. see: YUT's post from 30.9.2012 http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4595-TV-lost-the-dlna-server/page4&highlight=tv+lost+dlna , i can confirm functionality with minidlna and 47PFL7606.

Philips does not seems to refresh its server list once SSDP expires, set max-age to long time enough and you should be ok.
Keep pushing Philips, problem is neither in your network nor on attached equipment, it is Philips TV who has problem.

japao
10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Although Philips does not seems to be willing to admit problems, it becomes clear there is an error in their DLNA support implementation and its bundling to other network services. It s nice example how end user experience and brand perception can be destroyed by bugs and bad firmware. I decided to not buy any Philips TV anymore due to this experience.

For those having problems with 20-30 minutes play time thru DLNA there are workarounds for few often used servers. see: YUT's post from 30.9.2012 http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4595-TV-lost-the-dlna-server/page4&highlight=tv+lost+dlna , i can confirm functionality with minidlna and 47PFL7606.

Philips does not seems to refresh its server list once SSDP expires, set max-age to long time enough and you should be ok.
Keep pushing Philips, problem is neither in your network nor on attached equipment, it is Philips TV who has problem.

DLNA disconnected Problem solved by setting the parameter mediatomb alive.

Why the customer must solve the error on the media server when the problem is in the TV firmware?
When will this bug was fixed in firmware TV?

Device such as Playstation 3 or iPhone iPad programs can solve this without modifying the media server.

yawgmoth72
11-01-2012, 04:58 AM
My 32" smart tv says there are no playable files in my folders on my pc when I browse pc, but if I put the files on a usb drive they play fine. What could cuse this problem?

Niels
11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
...Why the customer must solve the error on the media server when the problem is in the TV firmware? When will this bug was fixed in firmware TV?...

And I think Philips already has the solution for this problem in older firmware versions!
I own a 32PFL7605C12 from november 2010
I had NO REBOOT problems at all until november 2011 when FW 140.39 or 140.40 was introduced
And I have been using the DLNA function from the beginning to watch pictures and videos from my Network HDD.

From November 2011 until now I had the same setup.
The problem occurs even WITH ONLY THE TV connected to the Network, so the problem is not in other devices like laptops, iPods or whatever device.

Niels

Bill Jonair
12-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Before You put in the same effort I did, read this

I have same problem on both my Philips TV sets a 40PFL9606 and a 32PFL7605. Both are connected via DLink DIR-855 router to a Synology DS1511+ NAS. When streaming movies the playback stops after appr. 30 minutes due to disconnection of the TV sets to the server

No loss of connection on any other device.
It is just the TV sets that loose connection. I stream music and movies to many other devices (Android Tablet, Windows Smartphone, Windows PC) without any problem.

Try Media Renderer
Go to Configuration / Network Settings / Media Renderer and turn it on. I don’t know why but it sometimes works. Still don’t understand why I need to turn it on while it is allready turned on. It seems like the TV looses the setting????

Philips Support not SMART
I spend many hours to figure out the problem. I was very well supported by DLink and especialy by Synology who supported me even up to R&D level.

Unlike Philips support who did not try at all to understand the problem and put any effort at all in solving this problem. I find that as long as you want to watch TV, they can help you out. They are not smart enough to support their SMART TV's. They even got rude and hooked up the Phone.

It is NOT your router..
That causes the problem. Philips support wants to let you believe that your router causes the disconnection and refer to the manufacturer of the router.

I am lucky to work for a IT distributor and was able to try out several routers from different manufacturers without the need to buy one. Another router doesn’t make a difference. Wired or wireless doesn’t make a difference either.

I asked Philips support to provide me specifications a router should meet. They can’t. They also can not provide settings of the router nor a supported router list.

I still wonder how they can conclude that the router causes the problem. Looking a the posts on several forums, people work with all kind of routers and storage devices.

Visit forums
I have visited many forums. You will not find any topic on this problem from TV’owners of Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba. Visit for example the Synology forum and you will only find posts from owners of Philips and LG TV’s. No wonder since Philips TV’s are manufactured by LG.

My workaround
I found that the problem occurs when using the TV’s GUI. I now use the MyNet app on my on Android tablet to select and play movies and project to my TV. So far this works perfectly. The Philips MyRemote app should work the same way but it doesn’t.

The Philips TV sucks
All support departments I had contacted came to the same conclusion: The Philips TV causes the disconnection.

This is why I am for sure that it is the Philips TV
One of my collegues has the exactly same configuration as I do. He also uses a Dlink DIR-855 router, the same Synology DS1511+, a Philips SMART TV and...... a Samsung TV. Gues what…… he has the same problem with his Philips TV. His Samsung TV however works perfectly.

Don't update the firmware, It will get worse
I am pretty shure that at the start also video streaming worked well. The problems occured after installing a firmware update.
Unfortunenately is not possible to downgrade and try.

Streaming Music worked fine until today. After installing the latest firmware version to my 40PFL9606 I can no longer play my Music files either. What a SMART TV.

DLNA certified ????
I do not understand how Philips managed to get their TV sets DLNA certified. They simply don't work with other DLNA certified products. My NAS is DLNA certified and so where most of the routers I tested.

Go get your money back
The TV does not do what it should do. In legal terms is it “Non conform”. You can return your TV to the store and demand your money back on grounds of this non conformity.

If in future you want a TV set that works without putting in a lot of effort and get decent support. ...........

DON’T BUY A PHILIPS TV.

svedek
12-12-2012, 08:34 PM
3 weeks ago I bought 47PFL6687K and face the same problems. TV can see (sometimes) the mediaservers (latest versions) on my PC and notebook (both WinXP), but never the shared content. From USB it works just fine.

Moreover the wifi smart screen and Simply Share streaming work from time to time. They lose the connection as well. The whole internet functions incl. Smart TV and menus is crap. No cursor in the browser, the first and last items in the menu are not connected. Hey, it's 2012!

I'm quite shocked the Philips moderator did not bring any advice in this discussion for about 2 months!

I spoke to Philips support in CZ twice and sent a few mails, no solution yet. I spent hours or even days on solving all the issues (incl. duplicite channels coming to my favourites again and again).

I'm going to write a story about this for my friend, UK journalist, how the Philips Customer Care looks like, and intend to return TV within the one month period and buy Samsung instead.

Or is there anybody of Philips who could help us?

lionel007
12-14-2012, 08:20 AM
After reading this, I realized that I'm a victim too. Was going crazy trying to figure out what the problem is.
I own a 32pfl5507/h12 and my DLNA stopped working during playback. After this it seems that the Wifi on the TV cannot connect to my router. It sees my network and surrounding networks. It's even able to connect, but it doesnt get an IP adress. I tried setting the IP manually, but still no network connectivity. I even tried installling the latest firmware and do a factory reset on the tv and my router. all my other devices work fine

C'mon philips fix this problem get the Tv's software right

dajode
01-04-2013, 11:52 AM
I have the same problem. Drop-out after 20minutes or so - the server just suddenly disappears.

Funny though - the server is still visible on my other devices, and can output as normal.

So I think it's very safe to assume that the problem is with the TV.

This said, Philips has a responsibility to remedy the issue in their next firmware update, no?

The same way that other TV manufacturers like Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp, etc. etc. seem to have done (there is a notable lack of mention of this problem on their forums).

Or does Philips think that it is ok to advertise built-in DLNA on their tv's despite knowing that it doesn't work properly?

jorgefhq
01-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I've experienced this problem many, many times, thinking it was a problem with my NAS (media server). I've solved it simply using a second adsl router with adsl connection disabled, between my original router and my 40PFL7605H.

It's a 7 years old adsl router I wasn't using. I now it's an other device, another plug, more connections, and many more little lights flashing all the time, but I'll live with that.

Niels
01-05-2013, 06:37 PM
I've experienced this problem many, many times, thinking it was a problem with my NAS (media server). I've solved it simply using a second adsl router with adsl connection disabled, between my original router and my 40PFL7605H.

It's a 7 years old adsl router I wasn't using. I now it's an other device, another plug, more connections, and many more little lights flashing all the time, but I'll live with that.

Jorge,

Can you give more details (here or by direct message) about this setup?
My TV is now connected to my Netgear WIN3700N router, but I still have an unused linksys WRT54g router.
Can I create a similar solution as you did?
It will reduce network speed from 65 Mbps to 54 Mpbs
And are you using different network names for the network where the TV is connected to?

Niels

dajode
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM

Seems incredible that the solution to Philips DLNA fault has to be that customers must add extra hardware equipment in order to make it work.

If this is the case, then perhaps the easiest solution is for people to go out and buy themselves an Apple TV device to hook up to the TV as a wifi receiver/media player... I noted last night that my XBOX's media player worked perfectly to stream media to the TV, so that's another solution.

I still don't think its acceptable that Philips sells "DLNA enabled" TV's that are clearly incapable of delivering what they are advertised to do.

Worse yet, that Philips just ignores the problem. They clearly don't give two hoots about their customers.

jorgefhq
01-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Jorge,

My TV is now connected to my Netgear WIN3700N router, but I still have an unused linksys WRT54g router.
And are you using different network names for the network where the TV is connected to?

Niels

Lets see if I can help you.

I am using an "old" Amper router with both ADSL services and DHCP disabled, directly connected (wired) to my actual ADSL router. In this way I think I'm using only one set of network names. (I'm not an expert at all ). Actually I used an App for IOS called Fing, to help me map my connections, and I only see one network and all the IP's as they were before. I only have a new IP address for my "intermediate" router. Of curse since it also had WiFi capabilities, I turned it off.

My WiFi speed is 54 Mbps, but it does not affect mu second TV, and I can play any video with no problem.

I just configured the old router to set it as I have explained (WiFi OFF, DHCP OFF, new IP for Second Router: 192.168.1.40 and ADSL services OFF), and tried with movies of all kinds, with no problem at all. Simply it does not disconnect.

Maybe you remember that I posted before because I wasn't able to play avi files in one of my two Philips TV. This problem we are talking about now, showed up once I found out how to play every supported file type in my 40PFL7605H. I did this simply changing what the internal twonky server in my NAS recognized as a Philips Renderer TV, to a Kenwood Media Player. Once I could play movies I found out that the server would disconnect every 30 min.

I tried with the second router because I read it here:

Hi,

I also read that some people could solve the "disconnection from DLNA server after some minutes". They just put another switch between the internet router and the TV.

Toengel@Alex

So thanks to Toengel, again.

Please let me know if I could help you, and of course if you need any detail I can give to you.

Regards.

MassimoG
01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi everybody,
After reading the different posts, from one side I'm happy that it is not something I'm doing wrong on my set, from the other I'm quite disappointed that an issue on one basic function of a SMART TV is still far to be solved.

Here is my contribute to the cause, I have one Netgear ADSL modem/router with Wi-Fi capabilities, this access point is regularly used by the personal computer running Serviio as media server, one i-phone, one i-pad, one network printer, one Wii, one sony bravia and one philips 37PFL9606.
All the devices are working properly and accessing the network and the internet.
The difference is the DLNA between the sony and the philips, while the sony is always accessing the server and reading the contents, the philips has all the effects already mentioned on the previous posts, sometimes it sees the server, sometimes not, sometimes it reboot by itself if I try to access the media.
Initially I was thinking on a wrong server setting but then I noticed that the reaction of the TV seems to become slower while time is passing, if I switch it off (removing power) than on, it seems to work fine for a while, then it become in some way "tired" it starts to react slowly to the media menu, then it starts to be unable to read the contents then it stops definitely to work and sometimes, at this stage, it reboot.
In parallel, the bravia continues to work; restating (removing power) sometimes work but it can be required to restart the router (only to renew the IP because the DNS tends to keep it locked).

I frankly hope on a solution from Philips because I like the image quality and I don't want to regret to don't have two bravia.....

Massimo

dajode
01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
A possible solution:

I haven't tested this long enough, so I don't know how stable this might be in the long run, but I've now had a couple of hours of problem-free streaming:

Go into your router and assign a fixed IP address to your TV (using the TV's MAC address).

Got my fingers crossed that this will keep holding up! But like I said, I've now had a couple of hours of streaming without the typical drop out...

Anyone else tried this?

CJS
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
I experienced disconnect problems between TV (32PFL7605H/12) and DLNA media server after changing to a different router. Problem was solved after changing the DHCP lease time on the router from 60 minutes to 1440 minutes.
See this topic (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4595-TV-lost-the-dlna-server&p=49797&viewfull=1#post49797).

EDIT: Unfortunately it appears that increasing the DHCP lease time on the router does not solve the disconnect problem.

Jomsp
01-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Hello friends,

In my opinion, the problem of disconnection and other problems of the Philips TV via DLNA, depends on the quality of connection of our network, our Router and our multimedia files.

Firstly, it seems clear that the Philips TV is unstable via DLNA. It seems to require that the "speed" of our network must be very stable and constant. When there is a small bug in the "speed" of our network synchronization, the Philips TV easily loses control and failure.
The Philips TV is not very stable via DLNA, does not tolerate well the minor bugs in the "speed" of our network synchronization.

What can we do to make our TV Philips fails the least possible via DLNA? Improve the quality of our network everything possible. This does not guarantee that there are no failures, but minimized. My experience, and from what I read in this forum, is that if somehow we improve the quality of our network connection, our Philips TV works relatively well via DLNA.

To be more specific, it would impact on three aspects:
1. Do not use wireless connection. Instead use network cable between the PC-Router-TV.
2. Try different routers and configuration. Routers that "give away" the ISP are low range; especially bad is your wireless connection.
3. Although this point would be less relevant to the case, to the extent possible, our multimedia files must comply with the standards that the TV Player supports correctly.

In my case, I use network cable to connect the PC-Router-TV, which has fixed the main problem I had. Before with wireless network, when I reproduced my photos, sometimes depending on the day and at one point was "hung" and, from that moment, I could not continue playing new photos, but yes it could play videos and music. Only restarting the TV was corrected the problem.
My conclusion was that the wireless signal on my network was too unstable for my Philips TV, because wiring my network the problem has been corrected.

The conclusion is that, while Philips does not make more stable DLNA connection of their TVs, customers must improve our network connection if we want to enjoy this medium of reproduction.

Regards

dajode
01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Sorry Jomsp, but I think that way of rationalising is wrong.

If there is a DLNA problem with Philips TV's - which seems clearly to be the case (other tv's and devices seem not to have a problem with the same setup) - then Philips has an obligation to fix it their faulty products.

It should hardly be the responsibility of the customers to find inconvenient/costly workarounds due to Philips' complete lack of support/care.

If someone were to go out and buy a brand new car with air-conditioning, would they accept that the air-conditioning suddenly shuts off after 20 minutes? Would any reputable car manufacturer suggest that they minimise the problem by just opening the window instead to cool down the car? Or go out and buy another ventilation system to cool down the car?

I bought a DLNA TV for a specific reason - it's not practical/convenient for me to pull cables in from another room. There's a reason why a bought a TV with this specific feature - and I *DO* expect it to work as advertised.

Given that Philips seem unable/unwilling to address this fault - I'm guessing that it is a hardware problem in the DLNA module rather than a firmware problem. That is why they are so reluctant to help, as a recall would cost them a fortune in replacements and bad press.

But in truth, as the consumer, I don't give a damn what the *cause* is - that's not my problem, it's their's!

And I'm not interested in hooking up some kind of makeshift, 3rd party add-on at my own expense - it's exactly the kind of setup I was trying to avoid in the first place by buying this TV!!

Don't get me wrong Jomsp, I don't mean to shoot the messenger when you're only trying to help :) - especially when Philips is making absolutely no effort themselves to help. But my frustration with Philips knows no bounds at this point...

This is definitely the first *and last* Philips TV I will ever buy, and I'm being very proactive with my friends and colleagues to make sure they don't make the same mistake of buying from a *no-service* company like Philips. In the end, bad word of mouth will cost them a lot more than simply trying to offer support to their current customers.

Jomsp
01-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Sorry #dajode, this thread is to give tips on how to improve the performance of our TV via DLNA.

In my comment, it has become clear what must be done to improve the performance of our Philips TV via DLNA, for those who freely wish to take advantage of my experience.

Regards

Bill Jonair
01-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Sorry Jomps I dont agree.

1. Philips TV's have build-in or optional (dongle) wifi connectivity there should not be a need for wire. Besides I have tried wireless as well as wired connection but this does not make any difference.

2. I have tried several routers of different manufacturers. All of them latest DLNA certified models. They all have the same problem. I have asked Philips for a list of tested, supported, recommended routers. They can't (or won't). I wonder how their R&D does the testing.

4. I only use media files that are supported.

5. TV's of other brands (except for LG) do not have these problems and work perfectly. Why do these work perfectly in the same network and is Philips not?

6. We are not using pre production TV's, we are not R&D people, not a testpanel nor network engineers. We are consumers and we may expect a DLNA certified TV to be Plug and Play and work seamless with other DLNA certified products. What else is the sence of DLNA certification?

It has cost me many hours, evenings, nights and weekends to test many different configurations and settings. I have tried all possibile solutions that pass by on this forum.

IT IS THE TV THAT SUCKS

Doens't anyone wonder why Philips is not replying to posts on this topic? After all it is their own forum. I can't believe they are not moderating. Why are they putting their head in the sand and let their customers float?

I allways thought that customer satisfaction, brand awareness and brand value is key to a vendor.

It is a shame that MMD (a TPV company) who manufactures the Philips TV's through a brand license agreement detracts the value of the Philips brand.

As a Philips addept I have had many Philips TV's. They have allways had the best TV's by far. It is with pain in my heart that I will no longer recommend a Philips TV to anyone that wants to use it for multi media purposes.

Good luck to you all.

Jomsp
01-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Sorry Bill Jonair.

You think one thing. Why other many customers don't have your problem?. I don't know, but I think it is because some of your "PC-Router-TV" is different.

1. TV. I have two Philips TV, 9706 and 8605, is years from 2011 and 2010 manufacturing. If your TV is 2012 this would be a difference, because your TV is Chinese, but I doubt that there is a difference in DLNA with 2011, but I don't know. It would have to make sure that the firmware is correct and is correctly installed.

2. Router. Routers that "give away" the ISP are bad, especially very bad wireless connection. Tests should be done with routers from different brands and, if possible, good quality. Maybe you could try to connect directly with crossover cable TV to your PC (without using the router) and see what happens. How is your home network connection?. Do you use any Switch or some "rarity"?.

3. PC. What Media Server use?. For testing you should use Windows Media Server (WMP) and disabled anti-virus. If you have any Media Server installed different Windows uninstall it.

Regards

MassimoG
01-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Sorry Bill Jonair.

You think one thing. Why other many customers don't have your problem?. I don't know, but I think it is because some of your "PC-Router-TV" is different.

1. TV. I have two Philips TV, 9706 and 8605, is years from 2011 and 2010 manufacturing. If your TV is 2012 this would be a difference, because your TV is Chinese, but I doubt that there is a difference in DLNA with 2011, but I don't know. It would have to make sure that the firmware is correct and is correctly installed.

2. Router. Routers that "give away" the ISP are bad, especially very bad wireless connection. Tests should be done with routers from different brands and, if possible, good quality. Maybe you could try to connect directly with crossover cable TV to your PC (without using the router) and see what happens. How is your home network connection?. Do you use any Switch or some "rarity"?.

3. PC. What Media Server use?. For testing you should use Windows Media Server (WMP) and disabled anti-virus. If you have any Media Server installed different Windows uninstall it.

Regards

Sorry Jomps,

I also disagree, but with you.
You are right saying that many others have the system working but you have to consider that there are also a lot of others people that are facing the same issue.
If you look at my previous post, I have a certain number of devices perfectly working with the router, with the wireless and without restart of the device, only the philips TV is giving me this trouble.
I'm not so worried because frankly I don't consider, for the purpose I use the TV, this feature as foundamental for me but I have to agree with all the others that we paid for a function that is not working as the other devices are doing.
Having already a few of devices working properly, why shall I replace my original network in order to make the last one working and not have Philips making it working as all the rest?
I agree on the fact that in case philips will not solve the issue, we have to commonly find a workaround, but it will remain a workaround, not a solution.
Final, also I'm surprised that there are no official position from Philips.

Regards

dajode
01-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Jomsp I appreciate that you're only trying to help, and these critiques are most definitely not aimed at you personally.

But if you're going to speak on behalf of Philips Support (who seem to be hiding from their own support forum? seriously?), then responses to Philips will tend to be addressed to you instead.

You don't know this either. Perhaps they returned their tv's or simply don't want to make use of the dlna function? Regardless, there are a lot of people who *do* seem to have this problem with their brand new Philips TVs.

make sure that the firmware is correct and is correctly installed.

I think most do - that's the first step in troubleshooting. How can we make sure we have it "correctly installed"? TV told me it was installed successfully - how can this be verified?

Again, I think you're missing the point. People are saying that all their other tv's and devices are stable and running fine. Nowhere does Philips say that their dlna functionability is restricted to certain brands/models, or incompatible with others? Wouldn't that be their caveat emptor if that were the case? I'm using a new, high quality router from Apple - surely that's good enough for Philips? Signal strength is high, and I've never had any other wifi issues. Only with Philips. Ergo, Philips is the prime suspect.

I'm still having fairly good results using a fixed IP address assigned to the tv's MAC address. Haven't tested long enough to be sure, but have passed the magical drop-out zone a few times. Problem is that I get exceptionally stable streaming through both a Mac Mini and an XBox that are hooked up to the TV - so I just use those if I want to sit down and watch something :cool:

Jomsp
01-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Sorry MaximoG and Dajode.

My tips are for people who freely want to do something to solve their problems.

Regards

Htep
01-12-2013, 04:36 PM
A possible solution:

I haven't tested this long enough, so I don't know how stable this might be in the long run, but I've now had a couple of hours of problem-free streaming:

Go into your router and assign a fixed IP address to your TV (using the TV's MAC address).

Got my fingers crossed that this will keep holding up! But like I said, I've now had a couple of hours of streaming without the typical drop out...

Anyone else tried this?

Hello Dajode, I tried with a static IP (or fixed DHCP via Mac adresse) and after 2 days, unable to dectect the TV via my network... So no, issue is still there.

MassimoG
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Sorry MaximoG and Dajode.

My tips are for people who freely want to do something to solve their problems.

Regards

Jomps, I'm really grateful fort the tips you are giving and for the aim of your suggestions. My disagreement was for the "aperture" of your message. All of us must have a common understanding, the TV is not working as all the other systems, the fault it is not on our installation but is on the TV firmware.

Then, each tip to workaround this issue is well accepted and maybe helpful for the Philips R&D if they have intention to go for a solution.

Regards

Massimo

mrots
01-15-2013, 11:19 PM
I experience frequent "network connection lost" problems - without using DLNA at all.

For me, i It happens just by watching a channel which includes HbbTV information (Danish TV DR1) .

Often, when the tv gets HbbTV info to show the "DR.NU (red dot)" logo in lower right corner, it will blank out the screen and show a [1[2[3 Connecting... STOP]]] panel. Sometimes it briefly shows a message about "network connection lost" (in Danish) first. But the common thing is that this pop-up never disappears by itself - I have to press OK to confirm the STOP button.
The TV then goes completely black for 2 secs before returning to the channel/program I was watching.

So I think the problem lies deeper than DLNA -- it's at the root of the network stack or interface(s) affecting all services using the network. Insanely annoying for a "net tv" !

55pfl8007T/12 (150.82).
Good WiFi connection 54 Mbps -- tried with static IP and DHCP settings - happens with both.

dajode
01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Philips support - are you getting any of this?

Your silence is rather ominous. Do you not care?

Richard Suijkerbuijk
02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Jorge,

Niels

Hi Niels,

Exactly the same problem here.
Configuration:
TV: Philips 40PFL7605H/12
Router: Netgear WNDR3800 + Lacie harddisk connected the USB port

While looking at video files from HD every app. 30 minutes the TV loses connection with the network.
After switching the TV off and on the problem is "solved".
So it looks quite clear the the problem is in the TV.
It would be very nice if Philips could make this thing better in a next software update !!

Regards,
Richard Suijkerbuijk

jorgefhq
02-19-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm not really sure that the problem resides exclusively on the TV 's software, since I have solved it completely by simply changing the router which it was connected to. I've tried with an old one, and also with a brand new TP Link TD W8970. It is true that there is something interfering with the router caused by the TV and NOT with other newer Philips TVs. (I also own a 32pfl4007h and it has never given me any sort of problem).
It has to be simply a certain combination of factors that makes the TV disconnect from the media server. (This does not mean that Philips is not responsible for solving it. Of course they should have done it a long, long ago).
I know it's not fair but, I'd try with another router and see if luck smiles to you.

Richard Suijkerbuijk
06-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Well, in the beginning it worked all perfectly.
But after the last firmware update the disconnectiong problems begun....
And I did no hardware changes in the mean time !

Htep
08-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Hello All,

I'm pretty sure that the problem comes from the TV. I have 1 iphone 5, 1 Mac, and one media center.
They are LAN or Wi-Fi connected to the same router.

I installed a DLNA server et a DLNA client on my iPhone, on my mac and on my Media Server. The only device that doesn't work every time is the damn Philips TV. I'm not supposed to buy another hub/switch, philips will have to fix this issue... and quickly because the TV is one year old...

Cristian
11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Hi,
I have 40PFL8008S TV (latest firmware), connected to wireless N network, with 130 Mbps speed, through Belkin router. Until 2 days ago, I was able to use DLNA to play mkv files from my PC (network).
Now the same files are not recognized... "Unsupported file format" or something. The "Play To" function from Windows Media Player also stopped working for .mkv files.
Anyone have any ideas? (Other than throwing the expensive TV out the window :) Thanks!

pmarcaul
11-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi Cristian, I am just a Philips consumer as you are.
I suggest you try first with .AVI files (because DLNA streaming of MKV files via Windows media Player is not standard for Windows-it requires some Matroska file type resetting in Windows7 registry...). So to be sure it is not connected to MKV files, you can try with AVI files and see if PlayTo feature comes (JPG picture files also should make PlayTo button visible in Windows Explorer).
On Windows Media Player, check also that you selected Stream "Automatically allow devices to play my media".
On the TV itself, Network/Digital Media Renderer: check it is still ON
Last, make a try with Ethernet cable connection if you have a cable on hands (so without Wifi connection): if it works, and does not work with Wifi, then it is related to Wifi...
Hope it helps

Cristian
11-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Hi Cristian, I am just a Philips consumer as you are.
I suggest you try first with .AVI files (because DLNA streaming of MKV files via Windows media Player is not standard for Windows-it requires some Matroska file type resetting in Windows7 registry...). So to be sure it is not connected to MKV files, you can try with AVI files and see if PlayTo feature comes (JPG picture files also should make PlayTo button visible in Windows Explorer).
On Windows Media Player, check also that you selected Stream "Automatically allow devices to play my media".
On the TV itself, Network/Digital Media Renderer: check it is still ON
Last, make a try with Ethernet cable connection if you have a cable on hands (so without Wifi connection): if it works, and does not work with Wifi, then it is related to Wifi...
Hope it helps

Thanks for your answer pmarcaul. Unfortunately it didn;t help me. I know .mkv is not windows standard. But I have codecs and they do play on WMP; also I have the PlayTo button and the TV appears, but it fails to "contact media server"... AVI or other files work.
MKV works from USB, but from the network (wifi or wired) it doesn't (same file that was playing a few days ago...). I tried all you said, with no result.

So the problem still stands:
In the "Browse Network" source on the TV, the .mkv files appear with an "x" and if trying to play it I get "Unsupported file: not able to execute".
In windows explorer if using the PlayTo option on mkv it freezes in "Contacting media server", or fails.

I'll try to reinstall the latest firmware, because "Reinstall TV" didn't help. Will post back.

Cristian
11-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Update: pmarcaul, you helped me after all. it was the thing you said about the registry. I started to wonder, because the TV played MKVs with other sharing software (ex: twonky), but not with the WMP share. So I reset my codecs (Shark007) to defaults and works fine now. :)

Now only the other 99 bugs remain :)) Hope for a FW update soon.

Still on the subject, DLNA works fine on both wifi and wired. (in my case wi-fi - 130 Mbps, while wired is only 100 Mbps). However I cannot identify the problem with the stream dropping after a few minutes... I saw this issue also on the forum, but no solution so far.

Htep
11-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Hello all,

Just move from a Philips tv to a Panasonic plasma with the same network set up... Guess what, everything works like a charm... DLNA, remote, pictures and movies from a device... I think the technical point is in the Philips side.

I think it would be one of my last post here, and you don't imagine how I'm happy now with my new TV.

Regards,

Cristian
11-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Hello all,

Just move from a Philips tv to a Panasonic plasma with the same network set up... Guess what, everything works like a charm... DLNA, remote, pictures and movies from a device... I think the technical point is in the Philips side.

I think it would be one of my last post here, and you don't imagine how I'm happy now with my new TV.

Regards,

:)) I hope Philips or TP Vision, whatever, see these kind of comments, 'cause they are alot and they'll at least try to keep some of the customers

Anyway, besides the VERY annoying bugs and lack of performance... I think Philips TVs still have some great features and great image quality. They just need to fix the current sw and hire some Quality Assurance (I'm available :).

As for plasma TVs, I saw they are prone to clouding.. when whatching a channel for more than 5 mins... after changing the channel shadow of the channel logo remains on the screen, etc..

24Noel15
12-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Before You put in the same effort I did, read this

I have same problem on both my Philips TV sets a 40PFL9606 and a 32PFL7605. Both are connected via DLink DIR-855 router to a Synology DS1511+ NAS. When streaming movies the playback stops after appr. 30 minutes due to disconnection of the TV sets to the server

No loss of connection on any other device.
It is just the TV sets that loose connection. I stream music and movies to many other devices (Android Tablet, Windows Smartphone, Windows PC) without any problem.

Try Media Renderer
Go to Configuration / Network Settings / Media Renderer and turn it on. I don’t know why but it sometimes works. Still don’t understand why I need to turn it on while it is allready turned on. It seems like the TV looses the setting????

Philips Support not SMART
I spend many hours to figure out the problem. I was very well supported by DLink and especialy by Synology who supported me even up to R&D level.

Unlike Philips support who did not try at all to understand the problem and put any effort at all in solving this problem. I find that as long as you want to watch TV, they can help you out. They are not smart enough to support their SMART TV's. They even got rude and hooked up the Phone.

It is NOT your router..
That causes the problem. Philips support wants to let you believe that your router causes the disconnection and refer to the manufacturer of the router.

I am lucky to work for a IT distributor and was able to try out several routers from different manufacturers without the need to buy one. Another router doesn’t make a difference. Wired or wireless doesn’t make a difference either.

I asked Philips support to provide me specifications a router should meet. They can’t. They also can not provide settings of the router nor a supported router list.

I still wonder how they can conclude that the router causes the problem. Looking a the posts on several forums, people work with all kind of routers and storage devices.

Visit forums
I have visited many forums. You will not find any topic on this problem from TV’owners of Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba. Visit for example the Synology forum and you will only find posts from owners of Philips and LG TV’s. No wonder since Philips TV’s are manufactured by LG.

My workaround
I found that the problem occurs when using the TV’s GUI. I now use the MyNet app on my on Android tablet to select and play movies and project to my TV. So far this works perfectly. The Philips MyRemote app should work the same way but it doesn’t.

The Philips TV sucks
All support departments I had contacted came to the same conclusion: The Philips TV causes the disconnection.

This is why I am for sure that it is the Philips TV
One of my collegues has the exactly same configuration as I do. He also uses a Dlink DIR-855 router, the same Synology DS1511+, a Philips SMART TV and...... a Samsung TV. Gues what…… he has the same problem with his Philips TV. His Samsung TV however works perfectly.

Don't update the firmware, It will get worse
I am pretty shure that at the start also video streaming worked well. The problems occured after installing a firmware update.
Unfortunenately is not possible to downgrade and try.

Streaming Music worked fine until today. After installing the latest firmware version to my 40PFL9606 I can no longer play my Music files either. What a SMART TV.

DLNA certified ????
I do not understand how Philips managed to get their TV sets DLNA certified. They simply don't work with other DLNA certified products. My NAS is DLNA certified and so where most of the routers I tested.

Go get your money back
The TV does not do what it should do. In legal terms is it “Non conform”. You can return your TV to the store and demand your money back on grounds of this non conformity.

If in future you want a TV set that works without putting in a lot of effort and get decent support. ...........

DON’T BUY A PHILIPS TV.

THIS HAS TO BE SINGLE-HANDEDLY THE BEST ANSWER HERE.

After so much searching online NO PHILLIPS TECH has EVER been able to identify this problem. Somehow the only people that ever got this working were reviewers from websites like C-Net after giving it a bad review to make it a good one. None of them ever bothered to help the general public with this problem. The main reason I created this account was to advise people STAY AWAY FROM THEIR TVS. In all, you pay extra for Net TV, a piece of crap software that brings netflix and hulu to your TV and 20 other programs that do NOT work. Best to just get a Roku if you need it that badly. To the mods and admins here, talk to your supervisors to offer better advise than you do. The same old "check your router, firewall, wifi" BS does not work no matter how many times you repeat it.

Jarnimo
12-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Hello,

My TV crashes to with streaming movies via my DLNA Certified NAS server and with Smart-TV/NET-TV functions.

When you call to the customer support by telephone, they are listening to your problems but they are not giving answers or solutions. They are letting me explain all like they hear these problems for the first time. It seems like they know about it but they don't have any solutions as they KNOW that it is firmware related.....

A satisfying answer could be: Yes mister, we know about these problems and are our technisians are working for a firmware update that solves the network related problems. (DLNA and SMARTTV) We are doing our best to solve it, give us a couple of weeks

I suppose a lot of customers have simular problems with Philips TV's as almost each family streams videos in 2013!!!

Belive me; I tried both: Wired and Wireless connection! Both having the same problems! I am Sooo disapointed.

Per A
12-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Hello,

My TV crashes to with streaming movies via my DLNA Certified NAS server and with Smart-TV/NET-TV functions.

When you call to the customer support by telephone, they are listening to your problems but they are not giving answers or solutions. They are letting me explain all like they hear these problems for the first time. It seems like they know about it but they don't have any solutions as they KNOW that it is firmware related.....

A satisfying answer could be: Yes mister, we know about these problems and are our technisians are working for a firmware update that solves the network related problems. (DLNA and SMARTTV) We are doing our best to solve it, give us a couple of weeks

I suppose a lot of customers have simular problems with Philips TV's as almost each family streams videos in 2013!!!

Belive me; I tried both: Wired and Wireless connection! Both having the same problems! I am Sooo disapointed.

My problem is only regarding my local network. My PC's can see each other, but my SMART TV looses these connections after 10-20 minutes. The TV writes to me: Searching for mediaservers but never find any of my 3 computers ACTIVE (Twonky or other) mediaservers.
The apps for my SMART TV are not perfect but are generally working OK. The APPs are not made by PHILIPS, and sometimes not tested on all TV models?. In this moment I have to turn off my TV .... wait a minute... turn it on again and after 1 minute or 3 the servers are showing again on my TV. Then these disappears again after used for 10-20 minutes. Then same procedure if I want to see/ use these again.

Jarnimo
12-12-2013, 03:27 PM
@ Per A:

The "searching for mediaserver" error i have to (sometimes)!!

If i understand you good. Your PC's sometimes dont appear in the TV function - browse network- . Then appears the message "searching for mediaserver"

As my NAS have a build in mediaserver and is DLNA certified (my Tv have DLNA certification too).
So normaly it should work....

I own a Samsung Blueray Player as well (DLNA certified to). This player ALWAYS recognise my NAS server!

Per A
12-12-2013, 04:51 PM
@ Per A:

The "searching for mediaserver" error i have to (sometimes)!!

If i understand you good. Your PC's sometimes dont appear in the TV function - browse network- . Then appears the message "searching for mediaserver"

As my NAS have a build in mediaserver and is DLNA certified (my Tv have DLNA certification too).
So normaly it should work....

I own a Samsung Blueray Player as well (DLNA certified to). This player ALWAYS recognise my NAS server!

I have just checked your 47PFL6007K/12 (correct?) on the www.DLNA.ORG webpage .... NOT LISTED!!!

My TV is not listed too ... 40PFL8007T/12.

Do you have a DLNA certificate for your TV?

Jarnimo
12-13-2013, 02:57 PM
@ Per A;

I own a 47PFL6008K/12. I just checked it and it's not listed on WWW.DLNA.ORG.

If i watch the website from Philips and read the information it's telling that this TV supports DLNA? Also the product sheet which you can dowload tells that this model have DLNA support. So what does that mean?

My NAS have DLNA certification; also this is written in the documetation and the retailbox of it.

Best Regards,
Jarno

Cristian
12-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi Jarnimo,
Since Philips (or TP Vision) is too busy or won't care enough to answer, here's a screenshot from DLNA.org.

I also was worried my model isn;t listed (40PFL8008S/12), but I remembered Philips is now only the brand, the company is TP Vision, or something like that.

Jarnimo
12-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks Cristian,

So the Tv and NAS have DLNA Certification. So both need to work good together.

My samsung blueray player (in the second floor!!) have WIFI and DLNA as well and works good with the NAS! The blueray player is 2 and a half years old...

Why the Philips Tv (from 2013) still have some issues? The Tv is very close from the router +/- 3 meters (in the first floor). Connected by wifi. I also tried wired and have simmular issues.
I suppose it are firmware related issues.

Regards,
Jarno.

Per A
12-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks Cristian,

So the Tv and NAS have DLNA Certification. So both need to work good together.

My samsung blueray player (in the second floor!!) have WIFI and DLNA as well and works good with the NAS! The blueray player is 2 and a half years old...

Why the Philips Tv (from 2013) still have some issues? The Tv is very close from the router +/- 3 meters (in the first floor). Connected by wifi. I also tried wired and have simmular issues.
I suppose it are firmware related issues.

Regards,
Jarno.

The last 2 days I tried to play my mediafiles by my BDP3380/12. Guess what happened? There was no limit of playing these from my PC from my local network. No drop out and I could start my servers after the Blue-ray player was on line! I cannot do this on my TV 40PFL8007T/12!

When my player was playing my music or showing my pictures, I switched over to my TV's network and this told me as usual: Start the computer an the mediaserver. The Tv is searching for a mediaserver.

Then I switched back to my player(BDP3380/12) and my mediaserver were still active and the files were able to be played without any problems!

My conclusion: My TV has a connecting problem against the servers after about 10-20 minutes. And the server cannot be started after the TV is ready, because the TV is not able to find the server at this time.

Jarnimo
12-20-2013, 02:47 PM
The last 2 days I tried to play my mediafiles by my BDP3380/12. Guess what happened? There was no limit of playing these from my PC from my local network. No drop out and I could start my servers after the Blue-ray player was on line! I cannot do this on my TV 40PFL8007T/12!

When my player was playing my music or showing my pictures, I switched over to my TV's network and this told me as usual: Start the computer an the mediaserver. The Tv is searching for a mediaserver.

Then I switched back to my player(BDP3380/12) and my mediaserver were still active and the files were able to be played without any problems!

Conclusion: My TV has a connecting problem against the servers.

Very anoying: The "Tv is searching for a mediaserver" error. We just want a TV that works when we need it, Not one that we need to turn off and turn on again to recognise a NAS server. I am not asking for something crazy or imposible .....
Please tell me if i am wrong...?

The solution (in my case) is to turn OFFFFF the TV. Wait a while and Turn ONNNN again. Wait some minutes untill the TV established the WIFI connection and after doing this, the TV finds the NAS server imediatly. So there is an error in the TV.

We have a Samsung Bluerayplayer and it works always good with the NAS server. No connection problems like "searcing for mediaserver...."!!! This player we are using in the 2nd floor.
Our new philips Tv is downstairs and we would like to use it without connection problems.

Best regards,
Jarno.

Per A
12-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Very anoying: The "Tv is searching for a mediaserver" error. We just want a TV that works when we need it, Not one that we need to turn off and turn on again to recognise a NAS server. I am not asking for something crazy or imposible .....
Please tell me if i am wrong...?

The solution (in my case) is to turn OFFFFF the TV. Wait a while and Turn ONNNN again. Wait some minutes untill the TV established the WIFI connection and after doing this, the TV finds the NAS server imediatly. So there is an error in the TV.

We have a Samsung Bluerayplayer and it works always good with the NAS server. No connection problems like "searcing for mediaserver...."!!! This player we are using in the 2nd floor.
Our new philips Tv is downstairs and we would like to use it without connection problems.

Best regards,
Jarno.

The BDP3380/12 is also a PHILIPS product, so they can make a working player software (I know that the software for the player has not so many playing features, BUT IT WORKS) .......... and of course you are right: The TV should be able to work a stand alone item.

Jarnimo
12-20-2013, 05:50 PM
The BDP3380/12 is also a PHILIPS product, so they can make a working player software (I know that the software for the player has not so many playing features, BUT IT WORKS) .......... and of course you are right: The TV should be able to work a stand alone item.

Well that's quite a complicated story to explain;

Did you know that PHILIPS is not producing TV's anymore since 2011. PHILIPS from Holland split off It's complete TV bussiness. Nowadays several companies are responsible for producing, marketing and sales of PHILIPS branded TV sets during a license program.

I believe that PHILIPS also outsources its DVD / Blueray production to FUNAI from Japan. (tell me if i'm wrong!)

Our (European model) PHILIPS TV is produced by TP-Vision. A Joint venture between TPV and PHILIPS.

This can be a reason why your PHILIPS Blueray player works good and our TV's dont work good because the software is not from the same devollepment. Both software versions are not from the same manufacturer even if the products are PHILIPS branded.

Per A
12-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Well that's quite a complicated story to explain;

Did you know that PHILIPS is not producing TV's anymore since 2011. PHILIPS from Holland split off It's complete TV bussiness. Nowadays several companies are responsible for producing, marketing and sales of PHILIPS branded TV sets during a license program.

I believe that PHILIPS also outsources its DVD / Blueray production to FUNAI from Japan. (tell me if i'm wrong!)

Our (European model) PHILIPS TV is produced by TP-Vision. A Joint venture between TPV and PHILIPS.

This can be a reason why your PHILIPS Blueray player works good and our TV's dont work good because the software is not from the same devollepment. Both software versions are not from the same manufacturer even if the products are PHILIPS branded.

Yes I know about TP-Vision, but PHILIPS must have power to get a usable product from them, when they put their name on it.
I use the Twonky server, and I have just found out that some videos can only be played by streaming to the TV, and not via the Blue-ray player. Normally I just stream music or pictures, but video should also be working.

Jarnimo
12-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Yes I know about TP-Vision, but PHILIPS must have power to get a usable product from them, when they put their name on it.
I use the Twonky server, and I have just found out that some videos can only be played by streaming to the TV, and not via the Blue-ray player. Normally I just stream music or pictures, but video should also be working.

If there is DLNA certification we - consumers - should trust on that! What sence have DLNA certification if we can't trust on this?

About PHILIPS; I Agree with you.

Now i see different companies licensed in different parts of
the world for production and sales of PHILIPS branded TV's.
For example: Europe: TP-Vision, North America: FUNAI,
CHINA: TPV, INDIA: VIDEOCON.

A better idea was to license just ONE company resposible for
the complete TV bussiness from PHILIPS worldwide. The deal with FUNAI for North America ends in 2014. As TP-VISION became active sinds 2012, maybe in future TP-VISION will be licensed worldwide. PHILIPS still have a 30% Control in TP-VISION.

PHILIPS made a simular license deal with MMD for their monitor bussiness worldwide. FYI: MMD is part of TPV.....

I think PHILIPS must protect their well known brand name better.
Many people still see PHILIPS as a very reliable brand.

Per A
12-23-2013, 07:23 AM
I think PHILIPS must protect their well known brand name better.
Many people still see PHILIPS as a very reliable brand.

I have about 10 PHILIPS entertainment products in my house and have professionally repaired PHILIPS products for more than 30 years.
I have always considered PHILIPS as a 100% reliable product, until they started to connect their items to the internet/PC. Then the problems started, and the support was poor. A restart was often needed to make the item connect. New products were released all the time, and the "old" types were forgotten and not supported.
(example: I had a WACS system, now dropped/ thrown out. An I-PRONTO remote which cannot connect externally to a program guide because of no server support anymore, and the internet function cannot be disabled(automatically trying every day to connect))

Jarnimo
12-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Support from Philips products are two - maximum three years. This should be much longer. Customers are paying a big amount of money for these products. For expmale a new TV should be supported for at least 5 or 6 years. The same counts for your WACS system.

I saw with many Philips products that after two years the support stops. No fixes and firmware updates anymore.

I understand that they cannot support it for 10 or 15 years! But 5 or 6 years should be nothing more than normal with consumer electronics, dont you think!!

lhave
12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Support from Philips products are two - maximum three years. This should be much longer. Customers are paying a big amount of money for these products. For expmale a new TV should be supported for at least 5 or 6 years. The same counts for your WACS system.

I saw with many Philips products that after two years the support stops. No fixes and firmware updates anymore.

I understand that they cannot support it for 10 or 15 years! But 5 or 6 years should be nothing more than normal with consumer electronics, dont you think!!

This hasn't been my impression at all... 6 months ago I experienced some weird display issues with my 7403D (which was bought in 2008), and called support... I got all the help I needed, despite the TV not being within warranty at all. I get why they stop producing software updates after x number of years (I'd prefer focus to be on development for my newer model anyway), and assume that's because most of the issues have been ironed out.

Jarnimo
12-23-2013, 10:28 AM
This hasn't been my impression at all... 6 months ago I experienced some weird display issues with my 7403D (which was bought in 2008), and called support... I got all the help I needed, despite the TV not being within warranty at all. I get why they stop producing software updates after x number of years (I'd prefer focus to be on development for my newer model anyway), and assume that's because most of the issues have been ironed out.

Hi,

I am not speaking about customer support when you Phone them.These people really are doing their best to attend you.

I am speaking about firmware upgrades, I think they have to support it for some years longer. What i see now is that this support stops after just two years or three years. I think this should be a little longer...

I understand that they cannot support it for 10 years but at least 5 years should be normal.

For expample: I was shocked when I read that Philips won't support NETFLIX on their 2012 series of Tv's. They only have NETFLIX support on their 2013 series and newer....

lhave
12-23-2013, 10:40 AM
For expample: I was shocked when I read that Philips won't support NETFLIX on their 2012 series of Tv's. They only have NETFLIX support on their 2013 series and newer....

As I mentioned in another thread about 30 minutes ago, as far as I know, the problem with Netflix is a hardware limitation, not a software limitation... I was really curious about this as well (as it just seemed like a money grab originally), but it seems to me that Netflix' format isn't supported by sub-2013 TVs, and they actually require a hardware component to decode this correctly... altho correct me if I'm wrong @ Philips

LH

Jarnimo
12-23-2013, 11:00 AM
As far as I know, the problem with Netflix is a hardware limitation, not a software limitation...

A hardware limitation in the 2012 series? This is hard to believe...

Per A
12-23-2013, 11:05 AM

Hi Ihave. Do you have a DLNA problem yourself?

No problems contacting support, even with products out of warranty.
The persons employed in support are trying 100% to support you. But you do not place the programmers/ engineers department in the frontline, so the supporters have to pass the problem "backstage", and you normally do not get a reply. I know it is also an economical issue, or it is not considered as a common problem, worth to solve!
When you contact support you have to explain again and again your problem, and mostly you are told that your problem is unknown.

It seems that this DLNA problem is a general (This thread shows it).

I know that PHILIPS call it SIMPLY SHARE (DLNA associated). But it is not simple to make it work stable for a longer time.

Normally I never give up solving a problem, but I am not able to produce a new software for my TV.
I have tried all possible set up's for my TV/ server(s), all fails to make a reliable directly local network connection to the TV.

I can add that streaming from apps in the SMART TV works very reliable!

Some of the products are unfortunately discontinued before the main problems are solved.
Therefore I try to get my issue solved at this time.

lhave
12-23-2013, 11:24 AM
A hardware limitation in the 2012 series? This is hard to believe...

How so? If the TV wasn't built with the hardware decoder required for a particular format/codec, it obviously won't be able to decode it... is that so hard to believe?

Hi Ihave. Do you have a DLNA problem yourself?

Nope, no issues... I've streamed video and audio in various formats without problems... I had a couple of minor issues on the previous firmware (audio cut out sometimes), but since then I've not had any problems (or before).

Jarnimo
12-23-2013, 11:29 AM
No problems contacting support, even with products out of warranty. The persons employed in support are trying 100% to support you. .

Here in Holland to, these people are trying to do their best.

Problem is the software, helpdesk people cant do anything about it! Seems like they know it, but they can't tell you. Imagine how many people are calling with problems like us, they should know it!

As long as the software programmers / engineers don't know how to solve this , i am afraid that it dont have sence to call customer support.

Jarnimo
12-23-2013, 11:37 AM
How so? If the TV wasn't built with the hardware decoder required for a particular format/codec, it obviously won't be able to decode it... is that so hard to believe?

Yes, i suppose netflix wants their app to be installed on as much tv's as possible...So a hardware limitation is hard to believe.
Especialy because these tv's are from 2012.

Per A
12-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Nope, no issues... I've streamed video and audio in various formats without problems... I had a couple of minor issues on the previous firmware (audio cut out sometimes), but since then I've not had any problems (or before).

The firmware for your TV (XXPFL7403D?)is quite different from my TV (40PFL8007T/12), and has probably not the same options/ bugs.
If you look at PHILIPS user manuals you cannot see which APP's are available for just your TV.
Buy and try! ...or ask the seller before the buy. (if he happens to know?)

lhave
12-23-2013, 10:30 PM
The firmware for your TV (XXPFL7403D?)is quite different from my TV (40PFL8007T/12), and has probably not the same options/ bugs.
If you look at PHILIPS user manuals you cannot see which APP's are available for just your TV.
Buy and try! ...or ask the seller before the buy. (if he happens to know?)

The 7403D is now stuck in a seperate room ;) my main TV now is a 6678S, which I've not had major problems with dlna on as per my last post.

LH

Ricky
01-08-2014, 10:58 AM
It seems like everyone else that my television drops the signal after approximately 30 minutes. Ive spent ages on this problem, speaking to the manufacturer of my NAS (Western Digital), my broadband provider (BT) who provided the router and hours on the phone with Philips. With all my other devices (iphone, ipad, laptop, computer) I can stream wirelessly from my NAS wihtout any interruption but the connection drops after 30 mins when streaming to my philips tv (model:46PFL8008S). I believe that the issue is with SSDP which is a packet used for discovery and the TV should normally broadcast this packet regularly but fails to do so. Regrettably I have no solution other than to return the television

Per A
01-08-2014, 11:39 AM
It seems like everyone else that my television drops the signal after approximately 30 minutes. Ive spent ages on this problem, speaking to the manufacturer of my NAS (Western Digital), my broadband provider (BT) who provided the router and hours on the phone with Philips. With all my other devices (iphone, ipad, laptop, computer) I can stream wirelessly from my NAS wihtout any interruption but the connection drops after 30 mins when streaming to my philips tv (model:46PFL8008S). I believe that the issue is with SSDP which is a packet used for discovery and the TV should normally broadcast this packet regularly but fails to do so. Regrettably I have no solution other than to return the television

I have my 4 computers connected in a local network + my 40PFL8007T/12 and have the same problem. The connection is interrupted when I am streaming pictures/ music or video from any of my computers(these are not in sleep mode!), and my TV "tells me": searching for a mediaserver. This mediaservers are still available, but my TV is never finding any of these PC servers. Only by an off/on action of the TV!!

Ricky
01-08-2014, 11:56 AM
yes, turning off and then on allows the television to reconnect with the network but this obviously isnt a solution. My NAS uses Twonky and there isnt any way to change SSDP settings on Twonky

Per A
01-08-2014, 12:52 PM
yes, turning off and then on allows the television to reconnect with the network but this obviously isnt a solution. My NAS uses Twonky and there isnt any way to change SSDP settings on Twonky

I am also using Twonky. But I have also tried other mediaservers (and Microsoft Mediaplayers/ newest vesions!) with the same problem.

I know that it is not a practical solution to to turn off/on to get the lost connection back.
It is a software problem to get the lost connection back or rather keep it running. If you can do it by pressing a button twice, it might give a clue to the programmers.

I do not say it has to be solved in the TV's software (but it might be the best way to solve it).

If this is not possible then give us a working mediaserver program+SETUP, that connects reliable to the Smart TV's playing from the local network.
I have normally no problem at all by streaming from VIAPLAY or YOUTUBE. NO TIME LIMITS AT ALL!

I had hoped that when the new 8008 type came, all DLNA problems were solved.

Ricky
01-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Per A

Regrettably 8008 is no better. I've given up streaming form the NAS and downloaded Vuze onto my macbook last night and yet again after approximately 30 minutes the connection dropped - so frustrating! Last chance saloon for Philips - Im going to try mediatomb over the next couple of days and adjust the settings as suggested in this forum. If that doesn't work its being returned!

Ricky
01-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Vuze doesn't work so philips suggested the PS3 media server - that's even worse ranging from 5 mins to 20mins! The product is faulty so Im going to insist on a refund!!! Most frustrating experience bar none!!!

rubhec
01-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Can`t connect DLNA via WIFI (tv go back to tv mode all the times) with 47PFL4307K- with firmware 97.
The Tv shows the server, but when try to connect go back to TV mode.
¿Where PHILIPS solve all the problems with DLNA?
Newer firmware = worstest TV.

Jarnimo
01-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I don't understand why PHILIPS does not get their software development under control. Each update have little problems making incomprehensible television crashes randomly. There seems to be a systematic problem in the PHILIPS software.

In our case the Tv works good for some weeks, then without a reason it starts crashing randomly. Unplugging the powercord for two/three minutes is a solution (for now) that makes it work good again, for a while.

I am hoping for a firmware version that fixes this + all DLNA network issues. Also the "searching for mediaserver" error is
a very anoying bug...

Per A
01-20-2014, 07:10 AM
As I can see in this moment regarding problem with my 40PFL8007T/12:

Normal TV functions are generally OK. Except after 5 seconds the TV shows a distorted picture for a short while (I think this when the TV is catching the TV-guides from my stored channels)

The TV guide (DVB-T)has a problem: Showing locked channels which I am not able to access (normally the guide do only show my favourite channels)

And then the DLNA problems as I have described a lot of times before.

Most television have various problems, but if PHILIPS can solve the DLNA problem, I think it is one of the best TV's on the market. (TOP 1 to 3)

richardb10
01-22-2014, 06:19 PM
I just bought a 32PFL4258. Same problems with DNLA as mentioned in several forums. I asked DNLA.org for the certificate. I recieved one from DNLA.org. I'm really curious how the problem will be solved when ever!

b_verberne
01-28-2014, 11:24 AM
I must say that streaming (WIFI) with the DLNA protocol works reliable on my 40PFL8007 (Netgear Router WNDR3700 and Synology NAS). The only thing is that the tv doesn't always get a connection to the NAS directly (message: keeps searching for ...). I've to stop and start the media server of the NAS and then it's working fine again. I'm still looking for a solution.

Per A
01-28-2014, 11:55 AM
I must say that streaming (WIFI) with the DLNA protocol works reliable on my 40PFL8007 (Netgear Router WNDR3700 and Synology NAS). The only thing is that the tv doesn't always get a connection to the NAS directly (message: keeps searching for ...). I've to stop and start the media server of the NAS and then it's working fine again. I'm still looking for a solution.

Thats what I have told a lot of times here. But in your case: If you try to keep a streaming going on, the connection will be lost when you try to go back to get a new streaming to the TV. The same happens when you stream a lot of pictures/ music to your TV.
Suddenly there is no connection to ANY of your mediaservers, and the search is going on forever. Do you have this problem, or did you not try for so long time? (about 20 to 30minutes).

b_verberne
01-28-2014, 12:53 PM
No it's just the initial connection, sometimes it works, sometimes I have to restart the Media Server (package on Synology NAS). By the way that's done in a few seconds with my mobile, no big issue.
After that all is working fine, I don't have issues after 20 or 30 minutes, everything is working properly, also watching movies for hours or streaming music. I didn't stream pictures over DLNA to the tv so far.

Per A
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
No it's just the initial connection, sometimes it works, sometimes I have to restart the Media Server (package on Synology NAS). By the way that's done in a few seconds with my mobile, no big issue.
After that all is working fine, I don't have issues after 20 or 30 minutes, everything is working properly, also watching movies for hours or streaming music. I didn't stream pictures over DLNA to the tv so far.

If you start the mediaserver 5 minutes before you start the TV, do you also have this problem? When I start the mediaserver after I have turned on the TV I'll never get a connection!!

Guru
01-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Hi there,
Everything mention before is TRUE. There is no problem in peripheral devices only in Philips TV !
After updating my 47PFL6008 Series TV with latest FW 0.173.44.0 I started experiencing problems with watching any video from NAS drive, or any other drive connected to my LAN (wired and wireless) using DLNA. There is no problem with connecting, selecting or starting videos, but just after 30 minutes of watching TV gets disconnected from media server. In that moment TV still has LAN and internet access. To reconnect with media server I need to turn off/on TV from mains (turning off by remote does not help) or to restart my router. Video format is not important, same thing with every type, 30 minutes and media server is lost. Some times GUI and Net TV hangouts. Extremely slow OS/hardware.
Just to be clear, before FW update everything was much better. On the same network I have Panasonic TV with no issues. Network: Linksys EA6400 1.3Gbit WiFi, WD My Book Live NAS 1Gbit LAN, WD My Book USB 2.0, Linksys WUMC710 1.3Gbit WiFi.
In this moment I'm experimenting with static LAN settings on TV.
Any suggestion? Any comment from Philips support? Any new update on its way? Is it any way to roll back to OEM firmware?
Kind regards to all frustrated Philips TV owners.
P.S. Philips shame on you !!!!!

Per A
01-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Hi there,
Everything mention before is TRUE.
In this moment I'm experimenting with static LAN settings on TV.
Any suggestion? Any comment from Philips support? Any new update on its way? Is it any way to roll back to OEM firmware?
Kind regards to all frustrated Philips TV owners.
P.S. Philips shame on you !!!!!

Hi!
I have also tried with static LAN settings. The problem is still there!

The only option on the TV that I have disabled is the QUICK START.
If this function is activated the ON/OFF procedure of the TV is not enough to get the mediaserver back in function.

b_verberne
01-29-2014, 09:26 AM
If you start the mediaserver 5 minutes before you start the TV, do you also have this problem? When I start the mediaserver after I have turned on the TV I'll never get a connection!!

The mediaserver is always up and running, so it's strange that the behaviour is unpredictable. The only thing maybe is that the NAS uses a sleep mode, but I'll have to find that out. However when I connect with my mobile to the NAS it's always working ... :confused: Maybe DLNA.

Per A
01-29-2014, 10:21 AM
The mediaserver is always up and running, so it's strange that the behaviour is unpredictable. The only thing maybe is that the NAS uses a sleep mode, but I'll have to find that out. However when I connect with my mobile to the NAS it's always working ... :confused: Maybe DLNA.

I have tried Windows Mediaplayer 11, TWONKY and other mediaservers, but all fails after 20-30 minutes.
My 3 PC's, connected in my LAN, is always active (no sleep/ stand by or suspend mode). I am running XP, VISTA and Windows7, and all 3 systems fails in connecting to my TV after this "TIME OUT". I does not matter if I go wireless or not, the fault is still there. My PC's can interconnect, but the TV connection is dropping out!

Guru
01-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Hi!
I have also tried with static LAN settings. The problem is still there!

The only option on the TV that I have disabled is the QUICK START.
If this function is activated the ON/OFF procedure of the TV is not enough to get the mediaserver back in function.

As you sad, static LAN settings does not help. Unfortunately in my case turning off QUICK START also doesn't help. Issue is still present.:mad:

I see that new FW update (173.045) is released.:) Did anyone try it against Media Server dropouts and TV turning off by itself?:confused:

Kind regards.

Per A
01-31-2014, 02:20 PM
As you sad, static LAN settings does not help. Unfortunately in my case turning off QUICK START also doesn't help. Issue is still present.:mad:

I see that new FW update (173.045) is released.:) Did anyone try it against Media Server dropouts and TV turning off by itself?:confused:

Kind regards.

Hi.
I did noy say that turning off QUICK START had solved the problem, BUT it helped the on/off reset of the TV (when the mediaserver is lost). Else you had to wait a long time for a complete reset of the TV.

Sometimes my TV goes off by itself, when I use an app in the SMART TV function. (but not seen using the mediaserver function)

Jarnimo
01-31-2014, 02:52 PM
As Fw. v.173.045 is just a minor update i think we all have to wait for the next major update! Hopefully Philips still reads the forums here, and takes our problems seriously!

@Per A; You updated to 173.045 already?

Per A
02-02-2014, 10:25 AM
As Fw. v.173.045 is just a minor update i think we all have to wait for the next major update! Hopefully Philips still reads the forums here, and takes our problems seriously!

@Per A; You updated to 173.045 already?

Hi Jarnimo.

I think we have the same problem, but not the same TV.

The latest update for my TV (40PFL8007T/12) is the 000.150.092.000 version (12/12-2013)

Ronnie Liefhebber
02-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi
My TV 46PFL8008K has got the same problems as above.
The mediaplayer crashes after ca,10 minutes. Only rebooting the TV helps to restart the mediaplayer.
Reconfigured router (linksys E4200) did not solve the problem. I have a cable connection. Windows 8.1 on the PC. Version v.173.045 on the TV.
Problems with buffering?

Ronnie Liefhebber

Per A
02-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Hi
My TV 46PFL8008K has got the same problems as above.
The mediaplayer crashes after ca,10 minutes. Only rebooting the TV helps to restart the mediaplayer.
Reconfigured router (linksys E4200) did not solve the problem. I have a cable connection. Windows 8.1 on the PC. Version v.173.045 on the TV.
Problems with buffering?

Ronnie Liefhebber

I do not know if it is a buffering problem inside the TV. Anyway the streaming to the TV stops and the TV tells me: SEARCHING FOR A MEDIASERVER..... but never find anyone of these already active servers!!

Jarnimo
02-06-2014, 01:32 PM
I do not know if it is a buffering problem inside the TV. Anyway the streaming to the TV stops and the TV tells me: SEARCHING FOR A MEDIASERVER..... but never find anyone of these already active servers!!

A buffering problem should not give these kind of problems! In case of buffering problems the TV just needs to start buffering and dont need to lose the connection with the mediaserver(s)
and continue searching for something that is active already!!!

Are your TV's connected with cable or by Wifi? In case of Wifi it can be an unstable wifi connection, althought this should work good because these tv's are being sold as "wifi enabled Smart TV's".

Per A
02-06-2014, 03:46 PM
A buffering problem should not give these kind of problems! In case of buffering problems the TV just needs to start buffering and dont need to lose the connection with the mediaserver(s)
and continue searching for something that is active already!!!

Are your TV's connected with cable or by Wifi? In case of Wifi it can be an unstable wifi connection, althought this should work good because these tv's are being sold as "wifi enabled Smart TV's".

Hi Jarnimo.

You wrote: should not give these kind of problems!......But could ???

Anyway, I am running with cable directly to the router, but have tried with WiFi and also with a fixed IP address from the router. All of these types of connections has the same problem here.

Jarnimo
02-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Hi Jarnimo.

You wrote: should not give these kind of problems!......But could ???

Anyway, I am running with cable directly to the router, but have tried with WiFi and also with a fixed IP address from the router. All of these types of connections has the same problem here.

Hi Per A;

At the beginning Philips made me believe that it was a incompatibilty issue with my Linksys router, so I changed my router for another brand. I still experienced the same problems. Then they made me believe it was an issue with my NAS server which is from D-Link. Since i am reading this forum, I know that many people are having simular problems! So I can not believe it's my NAS server!

Ovious there is a serious software issue with the firmware for these series (8007 you've got, right?) I was having a 6007
(same Fw.version) and had simular problems like you!

Per A
02-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Hi Per A;

At the beginning Philips made me believe that it was a incompatibilty issue with my Linksys router, so I changed my router for another brand. I still experienced the same problems. Then they made me believe it was an issue with my NAS server which is from D-Link. Since i am reading this forum, I know that many people are having simular problems! So I can not believe it's my NAS server!

Ovious there is a serious software issue with the firmware for these series (8007 you've got, right?) I was having a 6007
(same Fw.version) and had simular problems like you!

Correct Jarnimo.
40PFL8007T/12, and I have tried with 3 different routers. The one I am using today is the newest combined vdsl-modem/ cable-router/ wireless-router/ ATA telephone-adapter type from TDC (called a Homebox). But it does not make any difference, the fault is still here!(as it were with the 2 other types I have used before). All functions in this Homebox are used without any problems, EXCEPT FOR THE TV DLNA FUNCTION. (my local network from PC to PC (4pcs)is working 100%)

Jarnimo
02-06-2014, 05:57 PM
So it isn't your router!! Did you contact your local Philips customer helpdesk already? And what are they telling you?

Per A
02-06-2014, 06:37 PM
So it isn't your router!! Did you contact your local Philips customer helpdesk already? And what are they telling you?

I have contacted helpdesk a couple of times many months ago. I was told that this is not a common problem (or they wont say). They said: Try to reset the TV, try to use a static IP's in router, use DMZ!!, change (not available) server settings (TWONKY) and other "hints".

If they should make a service visit in my home and the fault did not appear during the time they were there, I would be charged for "NO FAULT FOUND".
I made a total datalist of my TV's options / serial number etc. ... They promised to mail this + info about the DLNA problem to the technical department, but I never heard anything.

Ricky
02-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Philips took back my 46PFL8008K and returned my money. The 'help desk' told me it couldn't be returned and that the problem was mine. However the online retailer who I purchased it from was able to ensure a total refund. I now have a panasonic tx-p55vt65b and whilst i don't think the quality of the picture is quite as good (despite going for a bigger screen) I now have no problem streaming from my media server to the television. The fault lies with the tv - no question in mind. Over and out.

Jarnimo
02-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Philips took back my 46PFL8008K and returned my money. The 'help desk' told me it couldn't be returned and that the problem was mine. However the online retailer who I purchased it from was able to ensure a total refund. I now have a panasonic tx-p55vt65b and whilst i don't think the quality of the picture is quite as good (despite going for a bigger screen) I now have no problem streaming from my media server to the television. The fault lies with the tv - no question in mind. Over and out.

I read simular stories from another people here. I think this is not good for the reputation of the Philips brand!