PDA

View Full Version : EPG doesn't work in some countries (please post your know-how)

Mario
12-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi there,

please post here if you have problems with EPG in your country and describe briefly what exactly doesn't work (e.g. wrong clock issue) and extend the list below. You ought to add also your TV model or firmware version information and of course solutions if you have any.

- Greece: doesn't work or wrong clock, 2010
- Turkey: wrong clock, 2010
- Russia: doesn't work at all, 2009

petasis
12-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Greece: The EPG guide (DVB-T) does not work at all. There is information about the current/next show of the current DVB-T channel only. But the guide (daily/weekly) is absent. EPG through IP is totally absent.
If I install the channels using a different country (like Germany or Spain), the EPG guide from DVB-T works, but the clock is wrong (I think 3 hours behind).

avia
12-28-2010, 12:10 PM
In Russia this is more interesting.
DVB-C is disabled by Philips for Russia and i was forced to switch regional settings to Gremany.
I don't understand why regional settings should interact with DVB-C\T or any other tuning capabilities. If there is no channels then tuner will simply not find it! Why Philips not allows me to search the channels?
In addition the search process is very time consuming, and disabling search capability therefore can not be done for "user satisfaction and improvement".
Even with german regional settings EPG does not work, even the current/next info isn't shown. :(

petasis
12-28-2010, 06:39 PM
I think that Philips should make an official statement about which countries are supported regarding EPG.
I think most of Europe is not supported, and only selected (and few) countries are supported. Customers deserve to know BEFORE they buy the TV sets made by Philips. Not to discover that the TV has such an important problem AFTER they have paid their nice 2.500 euros for a TV that is not functional...

ahasver
01-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Additionally panel type for 2009 modells should be added, it makes difference, if Display Now/Next after channel switch works or doesn't.

But I think a list of supported countries wouldn't help.
Main problems IMHO related to suported Character sets and mixed or empty network provider lists.

fan232
01-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Same problem here.
32PFL9604 2009 model Greece.
Everyone with other brands is happily enjoying this functionality.
Obviously philips doesn't seem to care about small market sector customers.
Very embarrassing if you ask me.
Will be contacting Philips support today to complain...

zdd77
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Croatia, no EPG at all. Model 42PHL5405H.
I have cahanged a country into France and than I had only now/next epg info.
When I saw some post on the net I have changed country into Germany, the problem is solved (I hope so), i have full EPG and no problem with clock because Croatia is in same time zone as Germany!

Nettle
01-10-2011, 06:57 AM
In Italy it works perfectly on the main channels.

regards

petasis
01-10-2011, 04:51 PM
So, far the working countries are:

Germany
Italy
France

It does not work on:

Greece
Russia
Turkey
Croatia

And PHILIPS is so silent on the matter... Do you think they care?

pistoiaa
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
In Italy it works perfectly on the main channels.

regards

Are you sure?
In Italy (Friuli) EPG works via Internet only. If I try to update EPG info via DVB-T, no main channel is found!

petasis
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't know, I took the report from user Nettle. If it is not working, then the list is:

DVB-T EPG working:
Germany
France

DVB-T EPG NOT working:
Greece
Russia
Turkey
Croatia
Italy

Nettle
01-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Are you sure?
In Italy (Friuli) EPG works via Internet only. If I try to update EPG info via DVB-T, no main channel is found!

I have to verify if it works normally or with the TV connected via LAN with the router. Every time that I've consulted it I was not aware if the router was switched on or not.

I've not verified it till now. I'll keep you informed tomorrow.

regards

regards

kembser
01-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Hello,

EPG does not work in France. You only get now and next info. As I am living next to Germany, I tried settings for Germany. EPG works, but some French channels are missing.

IP-EPG (tvtv) is working also in France, no problem here.

But did you notice: In tvtv, sometimes, even when language is set to French or German, just the date (on the right top) is written in English. And in all descriptions, you find a Dutch "met:" at the beginning, followed by "avec:" (French) or "mit:" (German).

Newest firmware 140.027 is installed.

Toengel
01-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi,

also the link to switch directly from the IP-EPG-entry to the channel ("Jetzt ansehen") is sometimes in a different language...

Toengel@Alex

petasis
01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
DVB-T EPG working:
Germany

DVB-T EPG NOT working:
Greece
Russia
Turkey
Croatia
France

Under investigation:
Italy

So, only Germany (& Spain) are working?

Nettle
01-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi Petasis,

I've just tried to access to the EPG service here in Italy.

With the LAN connected: it works fine on the major channels (RAI, Mediaset, Sport Italia, Cielo, etc....) with beautiful graphichs, color and infos.

With the LAN disconnected: only 28 channels are found (only minor channels and the graphic is poor)

At the end I was using the EPG in the past with the LAN connected.

Sorry for the confusion.

regards

petasis
01-13-2011, 07:42 AM
But do you get EPG when the lan is disconnected? Do you see table with all the DVB-T channels, and their shows?
(I know the graphics are poor and not up to other manufacturers in DVB-T, but anyway...)

Nettle
01-13-2011, 07:47 AM
With the LAN disconnected 28 channels show their programs: only minor channels however.

regards

petasis
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
This means that DVB-T EPG in Italy is working:

DVB-T EPG working:
Germany
Italy

DVB-T EPG NOT working:
Greece
Russia
Turkey
Croatia
France

(Its a little strange to see France to the list of not working, but anyway...)

Anybody that lives in a country other than the above ones to test?

pistoiaa
01-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, actually I would say it does NOT work in Italy: as Nettle underlined, he can access to DVB-T EPG for some minor channels only.

Nettle
01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm agree with Pistoiaa.
Would be possible to say that "EPG works fine" only if the number of channels could be compared with the EPG shown with the LAN connection.

regards

Nick
01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi all,

40PFL9705 EPG not working here in the UK (Wales). Can not understand why, because it woked fine on my 40PFL9704.

Regards

petasis
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Well, actually I would say it does NOT work in Italy: as Nettle underlined, he can access to DVB-T EPG for some minor channels only.

Yes, but can this be attributed to some channels not broadcasting DVB-T information? Because in this case, its not Philips' fault. Shouldn't we count DVB-T EPG as working even if it is retrieving the program of a single channel?
Do other televisions show DVB-T EPG data on the channels Philips doesn't? (Because this can indicate a problem)...

petasis
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Hi all,

40PFL9705 EPG not working here in the UK (Wales). Can not understand why, because it woked fine on my 40PFL9704.

Regards

In general, or in BBC channels?
(Because I have read somewhere that BBC broadcasts out of spec DVB-T EPG (they have somehow compressed the data), and that they give the details (free of charge) only to makers that have a CI+ interface, in a try to enforce CI+ that has copy-related protection...)

pistoiaa
01-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Yes, but can this be attributed to some channels not broadcasting DVB-T information? Because in this case, its not Philips' fault. Shouldn't we count DVB-T EPG as working even if it is retrieving the program of a single channel?

I think you are right. DVB-T EPG in Italy does not work not for Philips' fault but because most channel broadcasts out of spec DVB-T EPG.
So you can leave Italy working, even if it is not true (but not for Philip's fault)

Nick
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
In general, or in BBC channels?
(Because I have read somewhere that BBC broadcasts out of spec DVB-T EPG (they have somehow compressed the data), and that they give the details (free of charge) only to makers that have a CI+ interface, in a try to enforce CI+ that has copy-related protection...)
Hi petasis,
EPG, no channels at all on the 40PFL9705/12, TV just goes to the Net TV homepage, but FULL coverage of the Freeview channels on the 40PFL9704/05 .
This might be because the 9705 is only available in European spec (xxxx/12), but the 9704 is a uk dedicated spec (xxxx/05) unit

petasis
04-17-2011, 11:45 AM
DVB-T EPG working:
Germany
Italy

DVB-T EPG NOT working:
Greece
Russia
Turkey
Croatia
France
Ireland

peelaaa
04-26-2011, 07:39 PM
I am in Ireland and have a 40pfl8664 and the EPG works only when the country is set to UK.

rako
06-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Hi folks,

is this thred still alive?
I have some experiences from Slovakia (DVB-T, 32PFL9705).
EPG doesn't work in Slovakia, while Slovak region is set up. Anyway, I tried to set up Germany and it works. But in this case TXT was messed up, because Slovak character set is really differrent. But (fortunatelly!) after setting up Czech Republic, everything works perfect - EPG and TXT as well (Czech character set is for 99% the same).

Thanks to all for your experiences!

DellUser
06-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi folks,

is this thred still alive?
I have some experiences from Slovakia (DVB-T, 32PFL9705).
EPG doesn't work in Slovakia, while Slovak region is set up. Anyway, I tried to set up Germany and it works. But in this case TXT was messed up, because Slovak character set is really differrent. But (fortunatelly!) after setting up Czech Republic, everything works perfect - EPG and TXT as well (Czech character set is for 99% the same).

Thanks to all for your experiences!

Dear Rako,

Did you install the IP-EPG, or did you install the DVB-EPG?

- IP-EPG is the one provided by Philips, it has Picture In Picture,
it is provided via your internet connection.

- DVB-EPG is the EPG provided by the cable company, it has no PIP,
it is provided via the digital cable.

rako
06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Dear Rako,

Did you install the IP-EPG, or did you install the DVB-EPG?

- IP-EPG is the one provided by Philips, it has Picture In Picture,
it is provided via your internet connection.

- DVB-EPG is the EPG provided by the cable company, it has no PIP,
it is provided via the digital cable.

I'm using DVB-T. That means no internet, no cable.
But in principle, it's EPG provided by the company.

I think 'petasis' made this "survey" for EPG via DVB-T, that's why I responded.

danaee
07-17-2011, 04:32 PM
37PFL6606 H , sn VN1B 11114 009 ...,with latest fw slovakia,
DVB EPG doesnt work at all, IP EPG works but this should nt be considered as true EPG - neverthless it is an internet (other indepen.resource...)many times TV program schedules showed by internet EPG donot correspond to the real bradcasting (not updated, the whole channel schedule missing e.g. DOMA TV....+other reasons why good DVB EPG is necessery), DVB EPG shows no info.
I own couple of DVB Tdevices, each providing many info( during the channel change) extracted from DVB EPG about the programme currently running, time span, duration ,next programme ...everything automatically witout any additional effort needed from the user, the problem is being to find in menu how to restrict or limit all thouse info not being so often displayed.
unfortunatly with 37PFL6606 hardly the channel name is displayed, when I activate and run DVB EPG through cumbersome menu, there come the strange deaf black screen with description ' EPG being updated ...takes couple of minutes' ? or so,finally an empty EPG frame displayed

rako
07-19-2011, 07:01 AM
37PFL6606 H , sn VN1B 11114 009 ...,with latest fw slovakia,
DVB EPG doesnt work at all,.....

Hi danaee,

I've send you a PM with my e-mail. If you're interested, we can discuss the issue in Slovak. Maybe I could help you.

petasis
07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
DVB-T EPG working:
Germany
Italy

DVB-T EPG NOT working:
Greece
Russia
Turkey
Croatia
France
Ireland
Slovakia (may work with Czech Republic as country)

danaee
07-19-2011, 08:12 AM
just to refine my prev. contribution,

model 37PFL6606 H , sn VN1B 11114 009 ...,
the update to FW v0.10.94.1 fus slk

DVB EPG works (slovakia), just it is hidden in menu: OPTION, Whats on, diacrtics OK, but there is still an issue with
empty EPG table (home/ programme guide -- no program guide info available message),
the language change (GER, CZ) doesnt help

BR

channela
12-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I must confirm that other televisions show DVB-T EPG data on the Italian channels that my Philips 37pfl8605m doesn't (i've got also an LG and a Samsung TV set). Also after applying latest firmware (20 dec 2011).
I will try the workaround suggested (setting country to Germany).

niv_bp
12-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Any way Philips can add Israeli EPG?
Even via DVB will do.
also, does the EPG need to work in order to record the program that is currently playing?