PDA

View Full Version : Philips AJ7010/12 Alarm Clock:external temperature sensor reception blocked by a wall

Jarod76
11-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Hello guys!
I'm the owner of this really stylish product (AJ7010/12), but I'm experiencing great problems with the reception of the external temperature sensor.
Even if I've contacted and sent the product to a customer care point, they haven't been able to solve my problem.
What happens is that, if I place the alarm clock and its sensor in "open air", the reception range reaches more than 10 meters; but, when I move inside my flat, from one room to another (that means around 4 meters and passing through two not bearing walls) the contact is lost. I've tried all the three coomunication "channels" (i.e. frequencies) but nothing has changed.
This thing is really astonishing since the declared range is over 30 meters, so I'm wondering if this product is defective "by design", excluding an usage in internal spaces (that includes "obstacles" between the clock and the sensor).

Has anyone experienced this same problem? Is there a solution or do I have to resign?

Cheers!

burzumescu
01-12-2013, 09:46 AM
You saw it on the internet, it is good looking, made by a so-called trusted brand; for 100$ you have all the reasons to expect that you buy a good quality radio-clock. Next: the wonderful unpacking moment. And it's true, it looks great... and the joy ends here. Soon the headaches begin.
In reply to Jarod76: in my case, the 30 meters range in open space sensor it is not able to send the signal through a window to the main unit located 2 meters away. For a few months this works fine, but some days ago I've replaced the batteries, then put it back in exactly the same location, without any other objects on the signal's way, and surprise: no longer data received. Changing channels was useless. The only ways to make it work again were opening the window or move it 2-3 centimeters from the position it was always working until now. So I'll probably have to stick another nail in the wall (this sounds like Pink... Floyd). I'm wondering, how many months the new location will be agreed by the device.
The other major problem (I don't know if it's only mine, or it is a general "feature", in any customer's benefit) is the main knob. When trying to set anything with this (unfortunately) multifunctional button, it's really, really hard to press it without changing the chosen setting (which you painfully just achieved it, by blindly pressing the back hidden buttons).
Otherwise it's ok. It's like "owning" a nice shaped woman; at least all of my friends appreciate how it looks.
Conclusion: These days the quality is a long forgotten term even for quite expensive products. This is what happens when opposites attract and shake their hands in the name of profit religion, passing over any ideological differences and values.

The Chinese curse.