PDA

View Full Version : BDP6000, unable to connect Wifi with hidden SSID

mjamans
11-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi,
Recently purchased a BDP6000 and updated it straight to latest firmware version 1.61.
I was not able to connect to my Wifi network with hidden SSID with manual entering network/password after scan but when broadcasting my SSID( on my router ) I was able to connect properly ( both manual as scan method).
When now switching back to hidden SSID on my router the BDP6000 was able to (re)connect, but after switching BDP6000 off and on it again is unable to connect to my Wifi network.

Is this known behaviour and can BDP6000 not handle hidden SSID?

Thanks

Oscar
11-16-2012, 10:00 AM
And this happens all the time? What router is that and did you try with a different one?

mjamans
11-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Hi Oscar,
Yes it's very reproducable and no didn't try another.
It's an older b-router ( Sitecom WL521R ) but nevertheless it's doing it's job well sofar.
Also my laptop, tablet and smartphone don't have a problem with the hidden SID only the BDP6000.

Oscar
11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Could you test with a different one to rule out things..

neilski
11-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Aside: my understanding is that hiding the SSID barely enhances your security at all. From experience though, it generally does add enormously to the pain of making new connections :)
(Mine is no longer hidden...)

mjamans
11-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Hi Oscar,
Don't have a second router around but I will look borrowing one ( will take some time ).

But if 'other' router should work it says nothing because my other wireless equipment is working welll and the BDP6000 is not! So is it fair to say that's the problem is inside the BDP6000?

Pacman
11-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Or an incompatibility between these two.......

mjamans
11-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi Pacman,
That's probably indeed the case here.
But Philips products, at least the ones from my limited experience, are known for its too strict checks and stop if something is not totally as expected as where competition doesn't bother so much and just go on. The end-user/customer only sees that the Philips product is not working!

The easiest solution is indeed switch on SSID ( as mentioned by neilski ) and don't bother any longer. I only wanted to mention the issue here.