PDA

View Full Version : BluRay "The Raid" from AFilm doesn't want to play in my BDP7500SL

PJK
11-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Yesterday I tried to play my new BluRay disk "The Raid" from AFilm (Dutch publishing company) in my BDP7500SL.
After about a minute of disk loading the three icon menu (Disk, USB and Settings) appeared and the front display on the player showed the text "Unknown".

Trying to play the disk again using the "Disk" icon gave me a warning text overlay in the screen stating "This disc is unknown".

I've tried playing another disk and that worked fine, so it seems to be an issue with the disk/player combination or the disk itself.

Since I'm already running the latest published firmware (1.12 from August 2011) I couldn't solve this issue by updating the firmware.

Can anybody help me with this issue?

I've also informed AFilm about this, but haven't heard back from them.

With kind regards,

Pieter-Jan Kuyten

--- UPDATE ---

I still haven't heard back from AFilm (talk about bad customer support). I did post my problems on DVD.nl where someone suggested that my player might be broken. After doing some checks (mainly involving trying to play other BD25 disks from from the same publisher and others that have been known to indicate a broken player) I came to the conclusion that the player hardware isn't broken. So this seems to indicate either a faulty disk (I'll try to get a replacement next Saturday) or a change in the DRM code used on the disk which is incompatible with the latest firmware for the BDP7500SL.

Does anybody else have this BluRay and is able to play it in their player?

Oscar
11-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Hi PJK,

The message unknown disc is normally related to a loader issue.

Only this movie you say and no others?

PJK
11-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Yes, this is the first and up till now the only disk I had this problem with. Of course I've only done a small check on suggested titles by the guys on the DVD.nl forum, but uptil now all my BluRay disks have worked without issues and I have a sizeable collection of BluRays.

kwinnie
11-22-2012, 08:52 AM
do you have the EAN of your disc?

Like what Oscar said, unknown disc issue is usually a loader issue, esp when this error appears for most of the disc.
In this forum, there are cases that the user only have one disc that shows this error, yet by going to service and exchange the loader it resolves the issue.

and your warranty over yet for BDP7500SL?

PJK
11-22-2012, 08:57 AM
If by EAN you mean the same thing as the UPC, then this is the UPC => 8-716777-942345

I bought my player in late 2009 i.i.r.c. so I think the warranty period is over.

kwinnie
11-22-2012, 09:05 AM
hi PJK,

just search a bit, you can try unplug the HDMI and plug that in again.
some other users found it works... you can hv a try.

as for your disc seems no other users in the forum reported the same disc. btw, EAN means the barcode number of the disc.

PJK
11-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks, I'll have a look through the forum and see what pops up and I'll try the HDMI tip.

In DVDProfiler they call these UPC's (Universal Product Codes), but I see that EAN is the European equivalent => http://www.ehow.com/facts_7148158_ean-bar-code-stand-for_.html