PDA

View Full Version : Philips SmartTV = DUMDTV

frille760
11-22-2012, 01:55 PM
My Christmas wish this year is that Philips went into bankruptcy, so these crappy TV disappears from the market. To check this one Support Forum when no one from Philips answering questions is a joke to us customers. It does not get better if you call the support number. Rename the era function that you call Smart TV there is nothing Smart with it.
:(:mad::mad::mad:

Finn
11-26-2012, 05:27 PM
I concur.Even my crappy 50€ mediaplayer has more functions.I'm clad that I have 2 weeks to send it back to store.

black.stream
11-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Guys, what is the problem with your Smart TV's. Maybe we can help you resolve the problem together.

Regards,
black.stream

Finn
11-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Not supporting DTS and selecting audiochannels from USB are ridiculous.

Manuj
11-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Guys, what is the problem with your Smart TV's. Maybe we can help you resolve the problem together.

Regards,
black.stream

Well, you know what's wrong with the TVs. :)
You made the most complete review (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?6868-2012-42pfl6007h&p=37875&viewfull=1#post37875) I have read so far !
If only I had read it before buying...

black.stream
11-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Well, you know what's wrong with the TVs. :)
You made the most complete review (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?6868-2012-42pfl6007h&p=37875&viewfull=1#post37875) I have read so far !
If only I had read it before buying...

Hi,

thanx for reading the review. I didn't do it alone, but together with my colleagues from HDtelevizija.
I taught that there is some software problem or something similar we can try to solve.
I agree that these tv's don't have everything we want, but that is the marketing of this company. Obviosly they want us to buy blu ray players, media players etc. I agree that it is stupid that they don't have DTS or MKV with a bitrate more than 15kpbs, or adjustable subtitles, but what can I say. For me, they are still better than LG or Samsung. In a terms of Smart TV (Net TV) Samsung and LG are a bit better, but still Philips is more durable and reliable than those major competitors.

Regards,
black.stream

Manuj
11-27-2012, 01:50 PM
As you may have read, I'm disappointed in video motion compensation. This is defective (my view), and not the case for Samsung for instance (as far as I could see).
What do you think ?
You first reported about those fast motion scenes with artifacts/judder... on this forum.

But, I agree with you about DTS, mkv,... also ISO files are not supported (I dumped a few DVDs this way). I bet that TVs will soon support xbmc (next year or so), in the meantime we can only use external , but mature, media players.

About SmarTVs, well this is new and the whole market is just moving between external boxes, embedded TVs. This is not mature as I also think. But I understand disappointment when Youtube is not working correctly in HD... or people unhappy because the TV is not that Smart.

Why should people be expert before buying ?
It looks as if the Philips TVs do everything... this is the case but sometimes badly.

Philips already has a zero WAF ("darling, you do have to unplug the TV and try again"), and they also seem to lose "early adopters" like us. I knew the TV would not be perfect, but not for video processing because I considered the technology was matured. (This is my first TV, I owned a projector previously).
At least video processing, the core technology/function (aged more than 5 years for Philips), should run smoothly.

black.stream
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
As you may have read, I'm disappointed in video motion compensation. This is defective (my view), and not the case for Samsung for instance (as far as I could see).
What do you think ?
You first reported about those fast motion scenes with artifacts/judder... on this forum.

But, I agree with you about DTS, mkv,... also ISO files are not supported (I dumped a few DVDs this way). I bet that TVs will soon support xbmc (next year or so), in the meantime we can only use external , but mature, media players.

About SmarTVs, well this is new and the whole market is just moving between external boxes, embedded TVs. This is not mature as I also think. But I understand disappointment when Youtube is not working correctly in HD... or people unhappy because the TV is not that Smart.

Why should people be expert before buying ?
It looks as if the Philips TVs do everything... this is the case but sometimes badly.

Philips already has a zero WAF ("darling, you do have to unplug the TV and try again"), and they also seem to lose "early adopters" like us. I knew the TV would not be perfect, but not for video processing because I considered the technology was matured. (This is my first TV, I owned a projector previously).
At least video processing, the core technology/function (aged more than 5 years for Philips), should run smoothly.

Hi again,

well, pitcure processinig depends not only of processsor, but also panels are very important in this whole story. That is why philips models like the particular one I posted review about, doesn't have smoth pitcure quality, and some of them have a lots of pitcture artefacts like dynamic noise, blocking, mosquito effect. This series (6xx7) uses LG's IPS panel wich, in my opinion is a bad quality panel which doesn't function well together with for example pitcure precise. S-PVA is Samsung panel and it is much better than any other. But the problem is that philips makes big difference between low, middle and high end televisors. In my opinion, Philips has the best high end televisors, but not so good low end or middle end televisors.

When it comes to the Smart TV, for me it is an unfinished product, something that needs improvements in every single tv. It is something badly implemented and should be improved. They try to make smartphone or tablet out of tv and it is wrong! Needs huge improvements.

Philips needs huge improvements in menu appearance. Menus are confiusing, badly colored and slow. They should have simple mode and advanced. Every user should be able to get what he wants.

Recording function in 2011 tv is so limited. You can't record without internet connection. My grandma doesn't have interent connection but wants to record a soap opera. They implemented new recording improvements to 2012 series, and not to 2011 series which is hidious. It is not hardware related but software related. It is just marketinhg. They want us to buy more.

Their high end series is great and totally worth of money, but low end and middle end not! And you shouldn't be profesional before buying, but you should inform yourself. Read the official site, ask friends who might give you good advices, read the reviews, ask sellers... it is all important. Father of my friend is a total tv freak. He knows everything, he could be some kind of a developer. I asked him which tv he reccomends. He said, if you have money, buy Philips 8000 or 9000. I biught 6000 (2010) as newer one werent available and were expensive. Now I have 55PFL7606, and I am happy with it. Yes, it is a LG panel, but one of the first passive tv's and that is why i chose it. I am totally satisfied with it. But yes, at Philips you will not get value for money at series 3, 4, 5 and 6. They are all very buggy and extremly expensive.

Regards,
black.stream

Manuj
11-27-2012, 05:24 PM
I second all that you say except the last paragraph. :)

In fact you are telling we need to implement much work, know TV freaks, well ... what I call expertise, before buying.

The time I invested was to make sure I could live with some minor bugs (because of unfinished work on smartTV for instance).
I could live with a bad media player (but sometimes I use it because it can be practical and can do the job most times).
I could live with a middle range contrast, a bad recorder, .... (by the way I have no input TV connexion). I can even live with "false detection" bug type (even if very bad for WAF)

I needed good video processing, and I chose this middle range because of passive 3D and ambilight.

Result : Motion processing is really bad to me, unfortunately I missed your post on forum at that time (too far away from software posts). And I did not see any problem in the shop (motion was too slow).
About reviews..... I don't know so many even mentioning the bad HDNM for 6000. Really, online reviews are mostly non-sense.