PDA

View Full Version : BPD 3200 streaming?

FlashHarry54
11-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi,

I bought a BDP 3200/05 to replace my failed DVD player. At first none of the network features would not work or update so I upgraded to version 1.73 via USB. Now I have YouTube and Piccasa. I am very pleased with the quality of the up scaled DVD's but not tried a blue ray disk yet. What I do not understand however is whether it is possible to view files (videos or pictures) stored on my home computer over the network, all the reviews seem to indicate this should be possible but I am not sure. I know this is possible from a pen drive or external hard drive via USB but my question is about viewing streamed video from the net or home network if anyone can advise please?

kwinnie
11-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Hmmmmmmm, DLNA (content streaming) should be available ...
For WiFi, you need to buy a WUB1100 (WiFi dongle to make it work).

FlashHarry54
11-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks Kwinnie,

Ah that’s a pity, I was hoping it could be used without Wifi dongle as it is wired into my router and Youtube works. It seems the only Wifi dongle that works is the Philips one.

kwinnie
11-27-2012, 03:12 AM
yep, that s the only dongle that works... :p

FlashHarry54
11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi JunePaik,

Thanks for your reply, you are correct about the DNLA. I bought this player from Amazon. I think the way this player is described by some vendors is a bit confusing, for example, the current Amazon product description for the BDP 3200, says “Make your TV a smart TV” the following extract also says….
>>>
Smart TV to Enjoy Online Services and Access Multimedia on Your TV
Smart TV offers an easy and wireless TV experience: Net TV lets you enjoy a wealth of online apps on your TV (rent movies, watch catch-up TV and enjoy social media); you can stay in control and change channels or enter text with your smartphone or tablet; or you can use SimplyShare to stream photos, music and videos from your computer, phone and tablet to your TV.

DLNA PC Media Link to Browse PC and Home Network Content
The DLNA PC Media Link provides easy access to videos, photos and music content on your PC or home network. By connecting your media player to your home network, you will be able to access content from all DLNA certified devices seamlessly. Browse your PC collection of multimedia from your player at a push of a button.

Net TV for Popular Online Services on Your TV
Experience a rich selection of online services with Net TV. Enjoy movies, pictures, infotainment and other online contents directly on your TV via the Philips HD media player whenever you like. Simply connect the player directly to your home network through a wired or wireless connection, then navigate and select what you want to watch with the remote control. The Philips menu gives you access to popular Net TV services fitted for your TV screen.
>>>

So I think it is a bit of a hotchpotch of features from various Philips models. I am realising some of these features are nothing to do with this model BDP 3200.

On the Philips product page however, for the BDP 3200 the following is mentioned.

>>>
DivX Plus HD Certified for high-definition DivX playback
DivX Plus HD Certified for high-definition DivX playbackDivX Plus HD offers the latest in DivX technology to let you enjoy HD videos and movies from the Internet direct to your Philips HDTV or PC. DivX Plus HD supports the playback of DivX Plus content (H.264 HD video with high-quality AAC audio in an MKV file container) while also supporting previous versions of DivX video up to 1080p. DivX Plus HD for true HD digital video.
<<<

So, I am wondering what “HD videos and movies from the Internet direct to your Philips HDTV or PC” actually means? I can only see Picasa and YouTube as features to use on the player. I am assuming ‘from the internet’ means downloaded from the internet to a USB drive or portable HD and not a direct network connection so ‘Netflix’ ,’Love film’ etc. are not likely to be available.

Interesting about the Netgear device, do you know if there is any advantage in using this over the Ethernet connection? My wireless router (Virgin super hub) is right next to the player and I have it connected to that with the Ethernet lead and as mentioned works with YouTube.

kwinnie
11-28-2012, 07:11 AM
i know that 3200 is not officially claims it's DLNA player... just thought functionally it ll work with a dongle...
i m wrong then :) sorry to have misled you.

but i kind of agree what JunePaik said... 3300 suit you more.

FlashHarry54
11-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi kwinnie,

You haven’t misled me, I was just finding out about the BDP3200 players functions from other more experienced users. JunePaik is probably right about the 3300 being a better proposition but I think I will stick with the 3200 as the main reason for original purchase was to replaced my failed DVD player. Also I have my eye on replacing my TV so maybe that will be the route to go for streaming with all these ‘Smart' TV’s around. The 3200 seems a good player for the little extra over what I was going to pay for an up-scaling DVD player. I certainly know a bit more about things than I did this time last week!!

kwinnie
11-29-2012, 07:07 AM
:D glad to know that