PDA

View Full Version : Flash player in the browser ???

matsagos
01-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering why flash player is not embedded in the default browser of the 7000 series or at least in the PFL7605 model that I have. I suppose that this is an easy matter for the development team.

matsagos

Toengel
01-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi,

i think, that the integration of flash would be a security risk and thats the reason for the exclusion. And since flash content is often very power (CPU) consuming, I can fully understand that this decision (to not include flash) was made...

Toengel@Alex

petasis
01-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi,

i think, that the integration of flash would be a security risk and thats the reason for the exclusion. And since flash content is often very power (CPU) consuming, I can fully understand that this decision (to not include flash) was made...

Toengel@Alex

Toengel,

This sounds like speculation. Security and CPU intensive? If the TVs had battery, it would have sound like an iphone excuse...
But lets add my speculation. How about "Flash is owned by a company, which has time only for widespread platforms or for companies you pay well"?
Its not up to Philips, but up to Adobe actually...

matsagos
01-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Ok, what about an alternative solution like Gnash. I noticed that the OS is Linux, so Gnash player could be a good solution

petasis
01-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Ok, what about an alternative solution like Gnash. I noticed that the OS is Linux, so Gnash player could be a good solution

Gnash has legal problems. Adobe does not allow the reverse engineering of Flash, and the Gnash guys have done exactly that...

Toengel
01-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi,

i think video provided by HTML5 would be even better than flash... However, such things should conform to CE-HTML standard (HBBTV browser) ...

Toengel@Alex

DellUser
01-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Today you see all kind of additional video players to support video on websites. Video playback will be standard embedded in the new HTML versions. HTML5 has an embedded video player, so I suppose this CE-HTML standard that Net TV is following will upgrade eventually. The big question is, will it be possible to upgrade yesterdays product with tomorrow’s technology.

matsagos
01-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Gnash has legal problems. Adobe does not allow the reverse engineering of Flash, and the Gnash guys have done exactly that...

In fact I don't know the argument between the two, but I suppose that this not a problem for Philips or any other user, because Gnash has GNU license so it is legal so I think that the problem is not for the user.

petasis
01-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Today you see all kind of additional video players to support video on websites. Video playback will be standard embedded in the new HTML versions. HTML5 has an embedded video player, so I suppose this CE-HTML standard that Net TV is following will upgrade eventually. The big question is, will it be possible to upgrade yesterdays product with tomorrow’s technology.

HTML5 does not solve the flash problem. It just adds support for video, but with an *unspecified* codec (and there is a debate between Theora & H264 - the latter needs a license, which means no support for already sold products).

petasis
01-14-2011, 01:11 PM
In fact I don't know the argument between the two, but I suppose that this not a problem for Philips or any other user, because Gnash has GNU license so it is legal so I think that the problem is not for the user.

It can be. Companies have more money than individuals. Adobe can more easily sue a company (hopping to get some serious amounts of money) than 3-4 programmers who are seeking for a job. Companies must be careful in the software they include...

Anyway, this comes down that flash is controlled by Adobe, and Adobe will not release for a platform unless it has many many users, or is paid to do so... :-)

Toengel
01-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi,

or WebM integration would be an alternative... it is open...

Toengel@Alex

matsagos
01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi,

or WebM integration would be an alternative... it is open...

Toengel@Alex

I agree Toengel,
lets expect from Philips now...