PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles for USB Videos on xxPFL7605H

tvfmc
01-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Hi!
Regarding my last post, I'm asking directly Philips Developer Team if they will make available, and when we can expect, the use of subtitles (ex: SRT) for DivX or XviD movies loaded from USB.
Please note that all major brands (Samsung, LG, etc) have this function, and this is a big disadvantage for Philips TVīs.
If I knew this problem before, probably I would not bought a Philips TV, for the first time in my life!!!

Please answer as soon as possible.

Regards,
Tomaz.

Toengel
01-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Hi,

I fully agree - this is a simple feature (Philips just copy the code base from your BDP series).

BTW: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=DE&mid=Link_FAQs&view=aa12_view_partial.html&session=20110118022546_146.140.8.46&new_tmpl=1&list=aa12_list_partial.html&slg=ENG&ctn=40PFL7605H/12&dct=FAQ&refnr=0079404&faqview=1

Toengel@Alex

vatsok
01-30-2011, 06:25 AM
+1.
I would not buy my 40PFL7605H if iknew that there is no support for external subtitles. But now it is too late :-(

meeeder
01-30-2011, 09:08 PM
+1
I am really dissapointed with the fact that this basic feature is not included!
support for external subtitles should be available!
I have a 42PFL7665H

pistoiaa
01-31-2011, 09:22 AM
+1
I already wrote about this basic feature, but new thread, new post!
Philips, are you there?

tpower2
02-01-2011, 05:59 AM
I fully agree, this is a simple feature and should be implemented into the software in the next release. And the worst thing is, that the retailer guaranteed me that tis is included and i didnt checked it like i did other features and characteristics :(, my mistake, but shame on philips to not have this function at all!

vatsok
02-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Replay from PHILIPS about the subtitles issue:

"We confirm to have received your e-mail about your PhilipsTV

There may come an update for the subtitles, but I can't garantee this.
I can give you the advice to incorporate the subtitles into the movie you want to watch (there are several programmes that can do this available online), that way the tv will play the movie with subtitles.

We hope to have informed you sufficiently. However, should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. and Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. you can also reach us on the following phonenumber: 0800-023-0076 (free of charge). Please mention the following service request number: 50-771585311

Kind regards,

(I have deleted the employee's name)
Philips Nederland"

pepcandelas
02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
+1
I was just telling my friends how proud i was of my new 46PFL7605H/12 till yesterday when i discovered that it doesn't have support for external subtitles as Samsung, LG or others do...

JuAn
02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
+1 I was just telling my friends how proud i was of my new 46PFL7605H/12 till yesterday when i discovered that it doesn't have support for external subtitles as Samsung, LG or others do...

Do you also tell your friends that your Philips has Ambilight, what Samsung, LG or others don't have? And that it offers a picture quality that they do not offer..... Don't mention Net TV with internet access.
I mean, there is always something to 'nag' about :(. Just use a external media player or another solution and your 'problem' is solved.

pistoiaa
02-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Do you also tell your friends that your Philips has Ambilight, what Samsung, LG or others don't have? And that it offers a picture quality that they do not offer..... Don't mention Net TV with internet access

Well JuAn, you are right about comparison between Philips and LG/Samsung, and in fact I prefer Philips from many point of views.
The problem here is that, differently than Ambilight, NetTV, picture quality, which all are very valuable but somehow hardware or not trivial functions, subtitles management is a "so easy to implement" and "provided by ALL but this Philips TV" function that I am very angry with Philips for not wanting to update their firmware to give us this functionality!
Same applies to now/next info bar.
So many Philips customers are asking for these functionalities, but Philips do not answer at all. If at least they explained WHY they do not want to implement them...

petasis
02-09-2011, 09:39 PM
I think they try to close down their "lifestyle" sections faster...
And reports say that they are succeeding it... :D

jomorke
02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
This is a must have and i also ask Philips to implement this feature of external subtitling to the next software Upgrade.
This would be a valued add on to thier produkt.
please ad ASAP Thank you

Freddo
04-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I too want to see support for subtitles in their TVs. SRT and SSA/ASS subtitles that are imbedded into MKV containers.

I will buy a new TV later this year, currently trying to choose between Philips 47PFL7606 and LG 47LV5500 (or maybe 55" depending on the prices), and would prefer to buy Philips as I've been pleased with Philips in the past.

But right now I'm leaning towards the LG TVs instead as they seem to have a vastly superior built-in media player. For me, that's far more important than Ambilight and other exclusive features from Philips (like how they usually have better built-in speakers too).

GeorgeN
04-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi from Greece,
Another very disappointed customer because of this and some other problems you will find me post in other threads...
I agree with other people here. Subtitles is a must...!!!
Definitely I will not buy a Philips again and I would not have bought it if I knew this before my purchase.
I do not recommend Philips to any of my friends and have already posted my comments to Greek (price comparison and online purchase) sites...
I urge you to do the same...!!!
I think Philips should rethink about it very seriously...
I once again state that I am extremely disappointed...
My model is 40PFL7605H/12

andreiun
04-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Subtitles is a must. And also better audio/video codec support. Everyone from Philips responsable for the firmware from their TVs should be fired. A couple of chinese kids can write better software than them.
Someone mentioned picture quality. That's a joke. There's only picture, but no quality. No black, no shadow detail. I also own a Samsung C6510 which kiks ass in picture quality.

Just bought a 46PFL7605H and I am really disapointed.

+1 for the subtitles.

Philips, if you can't do it, just outsource this to China.

cupra4
06-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Casting my vote here too. We need support for SRT and subtitles in MKV files !
Come on ! This is not hard to do. All other manufacturers have this !
Just bought a 46PFL8505 and want to use my SRT files.

spiderman
06-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Casting my vote here too. We need support for SRT and subtitles in MKV files !
Come on ! This is not hard to do. All other manufacturers have this !
Just bought a 46PFL8505 and want to use my SRT files.
+1
Customers want subtitle support now. It can't be so difficult, it is only a single firmware update.

fastfury
07-06-2011, 08:46 AM
+1

I have a 37PFL8605 and of course it also does not support subtitles. This is a shame since the TV is not cheap and competitors offer this feature in TV's that are half the price. Since the problem is not hardware related I would really like to hear from Philips what could possibly be the reason that they still haven't implemented this already in the first firmware upgrade as this lack of subtitles support is a major drawback:mad:

Philips, please do explain why this is so, since implementing subtitle support is as simple as copy/paste:)

looking forward to your answer...

miguellopez154
07-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I totally agree with all of you. Subtitles are must nowadays and I don't understand why Philips is not supporting it.

pistoiaa
07-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Most of all: I really don't understand why Philips never answer on this (and on Now/Next feature) point. It is so frustrating for us, loyal Philips Customers...

subtitles
07-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Please provide a software upgrade to support external subtitle files as soon as possible. My sister was planning on buying a Philips tv but I have recommended her not to because it does not support subtitles.

fastfury
07-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I wonder too, when will Philips check this topic and give an answer:confused:

At least they could tell us if they're ever gonna implement this feature or not at all...

a_Tom
07-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Just a guess but i saw a post from one of the Mods lately, saying that they will not give any comments about things that might come or might change.
so i would say we will not see any post in here until there is a FW Update which brings changes ;)

starterz
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
+1

Subtitles support is the No.1 fail of Philips TVs. Total nonsense. REPLY?

Also, the whole software development could be much more transparent, have a roadmap etc.

larss
08-10-2011, 03:36 PM
+1

Subtitles, especially for non-native english speaker are often essential, and are a fairly easy piece of code to develop.
Please Philips listen to you customers!

nnnn15
08-15-2011, 03:34 PM
+1 for the subtitles.
My vote here too. We need support for SRT and subtitles in MKV files.
All other manufacturers have this! Subtitles, especially for non-native english speaker are often essential. If you do not resolve this problem quickly, I do not recommend Philips to any of my friends.

atfee
08-15-2011, 10:25 PM
I've already had contact on this item with Philips Costumer Service. Unfortunately Philips doesn't react in a constructive way. Something simple as this (just a firmware update) with so much more fun with a Philips TV. I think they miss a chance to be sensible, simple and most of all THE BEST.

I keep hoping that Philips want to hold his image as a super TV producer.
Ther is no place for arogance because the competition is tough (and not won).

Please use this forum and the wishes of your costumers. Repair this thing and you don't lose your faithfull users.

atfee
08-15-2011, 10:29 PM
By the way: i seem to have a 2010 model (bought in june this year 40PFL1605H) and the 2011 models wil have the possibility where asking for. Ther is a solution but not for people who already bought something, What a pitty. How low can you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

areyoukiddingme??
09-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I just CAN'T believe this!! I just spent my whole month's salary on this useless piece of c..p that won't show subtitles from my external HDD!! This is outrageous! My brother's 300EUR LG can do this and more. Plus it can play any MKV out there. My 40PFL8505 plays 30% of MKVs. The rest it simply "doesn't see or recognize". And I was so full of praise for Philips products and spent hours boasting with my new fancy TV to my friends only to come home, install it and learn that it's a piece of sh.t!!! Now I see this has been a remark by so many customers. Yet no response from Philips. Not only that, but the FAQ arrogantly reads they will not implement this feature in any future firmware update. This is some customer service!! I am NEVER buying ANY Philips product EVER AGAIN. This does it. God!!
EDIT: And only now I find out: no FLASH support in the internet browser?? What century do you live in? This is ridiculous. Philips, go make vacuum cleaners!

Eva
10-23-2011, 11:09 PM
+1
I agree with you guys, would like to see as well a firmware update including the .srt file feature. (32PFL7605/12)

Philips - Thomas
10-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Hi

Subtitles via USB are supported on 2k11 Sets only.

Regards
Thomas

andreiun
10-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Thomas, you're joking, right?
Don't you understand that no one from this forum will buy Philips TVs again?

berkal
10-30-2011, 12:52 PM
I bought a 37pfl7605/H12 sept 2010. It is not clear to me why the 2010 models do not support subtitles, while the later models do. Can you explain, is there some technical reason for this ?

By the way: My Philips Blu-ray player (costs: 45 euro) does support playing subtitles from USB, so the problem is not that big anymore..

Joop
10-30-2011, 05:42 PM
HA, so subtitles via Nas/mediaserver will indeed be supported in the future for 2010 models? Now that would be great news. I would not bother about USB support at all in that case!!!

Unfortunately I don't believe it myself :(:(:(

Toengel
10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi,

you need to understand that the TVs have only a very basic media player. You you want more codecs and features, take a look at the HMP (home media player) devices from Philips...

Toengel@Alex

DimAlexandris
02-20-2012, 08:38 PM
I will never ever in my life buy Philips again for me or my family !!
Have a nice day.

GPDawes
02-20-2012, 10:41 PM
The brochures and marketing do not describe it as a simple media player.

To be honest it done what I want, except for album art which I hope is fixed soon in the 2011 range.

I would have hoped if you buy a Philips smart TV you don't need the Philips media player.
Surely the Philips media player is to give Smart Tv functionality to non Philips TV owners.
Cant the code be shared across devices and platforms?

Like I said in a post the other day. If this is the case Philips should make excellent dumb TV's focusing on picture and sound.
Then let the blu ray or media box etc provicde the smart functionality. Reason being they are easier and cheaper to replace/upgrade.

Philips should remember in the UK their sets all carry a premium price. If they had better software and created more demand then they may actually sell more here. Even Argos (major UK retailer) dont sell Philips and most places do Samsung, Sony and LG, Panasonic. It is hard to find Philips stockists in the UK.

Kurty154
04-21-2012, 08:42 AM
I really don't understand why Philips doesn't want to add subtitles to their TVs.
It really can't be a technical problem, so I guess it has to some kind of senseless "administrative" decission.
Anyway, from my side, don't expect me to buy any other Philips device.

Cheers.

Toengel
04-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi,

SRT subtitles are supported since firmware 14.84 on 2011 TVs.

Toengel@Alex

Kurty154
04-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Fair enough, but what about us that we bought our TV on 2010 (42PFL7655)?

pistoiaa
04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
The answer is so sad... :(
The worst thing is that I am sure they could very very easily implement subtitle support on 2010 TV sets... :mad:

Kurty154
04-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Totally agree with you pistoiaa.
I really don't understand this Philips guys. I'm sure it can't be a technical problem, so it's just an administrative decission.

As I said, don't expect me to buy any other Philips device.

Kurty154
04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm really tired of being ignored, so I've created this group in facebook: My Philips TV can't play subtitles in divx movies (http://www.facebook.com/groups/321467554588182/).
May be we can attract some attention from the Philips guys ...

pistoiaa
05-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Very good idea!
But do not expect so much attention from the Philips guys... :(

Kurty154
05-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I know, but we've to try and fight :-)

kklasic2
06-08-2012, 10:38 PM
hi from croatia !

+1
the real professionals don't act like that!
it's very assimilate like politicians... so small thing to do, but because who knows reason, they don't manage this... what is the purpose of this forum and customer service?! :(

Kurty154
06-11-2012, 04:20 PM
You're absolutely right kklasic2!
What's the point in letting you ask for improvements if you are not going to listen to us?