Questions about 42PFL7606K
I am in the process of deciding on and buying a new 3D-TV. As a British Ex-Pat, living in Cologne, Germany, my needs are somewhat unusual as I watch German TV via Cable and UK TV via Sat.
First some general info:
1. Current TVs are an old JVC CRT TV, which is due to be scrapped, and a Samsung SyncMaster XL2370HD (Computer monitor with TV function)
2. My usage is as follows: 15% Wii Console, 10% DVDs (Blu Ray), 25% German-TV via cable, 40% UK-TV (mainly BBC) via ASTRA 2, 10% BBC iPlayer over the Internet (with VPN).
3. Distance from seat to TV: 3-4 metres
4. Desired TV-size: 42-47"
5. Budget: About 800 Euro
6. 3D-TV: Would like to use 3D-TV from the following souces: Blu-Ray, Sky-3D Channel and my Fujifilm REAL 3D-W3 camera (takes .mpo 3D images and 3D HD Movies.
7. Environment: TV is to be used in my living room next to a large window.
8. Technology: I am interested in a passive 3D-TV as the active type causes headaches. I am therefore considering TVs from LG, Philips and Toshiba where Philips is the most likely to be purchased as LG does not support Sat USB recording and Toshiba does not have USB recording at all on their passive sets. DVB-S2 and DVB-C Tuner are important.
UK-TV uses a different EPG-Technology to that used in Germany. I have found that most standard Sat-Recievers will only show the Now and Next programs with UK-TV channels. Can the Philips TV properly interpret the EPG used on UK broadcasts (BBC One, etc.)?
I notice that your TVs obtain TV-Listings over the internet. Does this mean that the EPG issues are not relevant as long as I have the TV connected to the Internet? Please explain if this system will work with both BBC and German channels.
I originally planned to get an LG 42" TV-Set, but I was put off by the fact that their DVR USB Recording feature does not work with Sat-programs. Do the Philips TVs fully support Sat-TV recording? I have a little standalone Sat receiver (Avanit SHD5) and that allows Sat USB recording to *.ts files readable on a PC). That device cost me 70 Euro so why do TVs with uSB recording make it impossible to use the USB recordings on a PC as well?
The members of the LG support forum are angry about the lack of Sat. support on their TVs and LG does not appear to be interested in fixing this feature. When I came here to research the 42PFL7606K, I was pleasantly surprised to find Philips engineers actually taking notice of customer wishes and adding features that were asked for. That is a major point in favour of Philips.
As I also have an AVCHD Camcorder, can I place the SDHC card from that in the card reader and play the recordings (*.mts)?
What is important for me is the ability to use the BBC iPlayer as an App in SmartTV. Reading through the forums, it appears that such an App is available. I use a VPN service to give me a UK IP. Is it possible to set a proxy in the Internet settings as that is all I need to be able to play the iPlayer (I currently do this with my Wii).
After some research, the Philips 42PFL7606K is now top of my list, although I am concerned about the bugs reported on Amazon by several users. However, bugs reported on this forum do seem to get acted upon, so it looks like the bugs reported on Amazon are likely to get fixed.
That leaves the possible problem of clouding on the Philips TV which several people have reported here. Are there ways of preventing this and does it affect everybody or only those from a bad batch?
I look forward to your responses and hope to buy a Philips 3D-TV in a few days.
Gaming on the PFL6706 or pfl7666 ...
Hi I have a 42PFL7666t/12 at the moment but had a 42PFL7606 very recently and I game using a PS3 via a HDMI connection.
Originally Posted by theo2
Gaming would be great BUT if I game in 3D mode the ambilights flash intermittently like a very bright camera flash!! its very annoying and quite shocking. This fault occurs even if you turn the ambilight feature off.
I have been trying to get Philips to help me with this issue on this forum (as well as trying all I can myself - including a TV swap) but have not been happy with their response. In fact Philips have not responded at all on this forum !!!!.
You can read all about it in my thread ......
Flashing ambilight issue while 3D gaming on my PS3
P.S its not just me who are affected by this - many others are struggling with this too.