MCI 730 root access and information
I was able to root my device to play with it. Some interesting findings:
- WIFI instability problem is related to buggy driver.
- I was able to compile and run mplayer on the box to support all popular formats (e.g. APE, FLAC and WAVPACK) on the player. Unfortunately it is currently running without GUI, from telnet
- It is possible to record from FM tuner on 48000 Stereo format. It also should be possible to stream active station to the network.
- CPU is running 150Mhz and could scale up to 300Mhz (but i never tried it, could be very unsafe).
- Most of the hardware connected to SPI and I2C buses, without any references on how to use it.
- Box software is something from mediabolic.
- Touchscreen, framebuffer and
- No IPv6 in the kernel, module loading is also not possible because it was disabled on compilation time. Only way to get IPv6 is to replace kernel in the Flash.
- Internal flash memory size is 24Mb, only part of it is available to rootfs.
- USB plug is a standard USB 2.0.
- Kernel has NFS support, I was able to mount my NAS using NFS.
- There is a Serial Console running with 115200 8n1, i found connector but had no chance to try it (my 3.3V/5V serial adapter is broken now).
If you found this interesting - join my blog - http://smallhacks.wordpress.com/.