• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Computer and TV won't connect... HELP!

My TV's model number is 55PFL5705DV and I am running Vista 64 bit.

First off, let me start off by saying that I'm not as computer literate as most of you guys on here. Sorry for that. I've also read the FAQs and searched the forms for solutions, but I had no luck. I made sure my TV is wirelessly connected to the internet, like my computer is also. After I installed the Wi-Fi Media Connect software, I launched the program and the little TV icon is grayed out. It says that it is "Searching for TV on the network...". I then went into the TV's menu and selected Philips Wireless Media Connect, and nothing happens, besides the loading animations just spins endlessly. I also tried to find my TV on the network, and I am not sure how to view that, but I didn't see it anywhere. My firewall is off... I don't know what else to do, and I feel totally helpless. I just hope that someone on here can hold my hand through this process... I really want to enjoy this feature!

Thanks in advance,

Dustyn

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Do you have router or PC and TV are connected directly?
    I would start with testing your network, if your computer can reach TV. Go into wireless settings on your TV and find IP address which was assigned to your TV. Then on computer start console(Start->Programs->Accessories->Command line) and write there "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", without quotes and where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is IP address of TV. Hit enter and see what happens.

If ping says that host can't be reached or request times out. Find out your PC IP address by typing "ipconfig" into console, again without quotes and hit enter. Find line IPv4 address or something like that.

That should be enough for start
    Last edited by Lake292; 02-05-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hey Lake,

Well, I have my PC and TV connected through my wireless router. I also did what you told me to, and it gave me some "ping statistics" so that worked out. What next? Haha, actually before we all get too deep into this. I should probably make sure I am running the software correctly. I mean, I open the PC program Wifi MediaConnect first. Then I go into the TV's menu and select Philips Wireless MediaConnect and it should connect at that point, right? Or do I even have to do that 2nd step? Thanks for the help Lake. Appreciate it!

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    those ping statistics said sent=x received=x lost=0 i hope, so that means your communication between PC and TV is working... you said you have firewall off so that shouldnt bother you also...
    so everything seems it should be working... after you start mediaconnect it should be able to connect...
    no ideas come to my mind atm maybe someone else will have some ideas how to resolve this issue

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,243
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

in your router menues - can you see the tv and you pc? And there IPs and different MAC addresses?

Toengel@Alex

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toengel View Post
    Hi,

in your router menues - can you see the tv and you pc? And there IPs and different MAC addresses?

Toengel@Alex

Huh? Haha... Sorry but how do I access my router menus? I already found my TV's IP and MAC address in my TV's settings if that helps...

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Darco41,

Can you give the make and model number of the router. I think that Upnp needs to be enabled on it.
    if you goto start and search box type "cmd" and hit enter. you should get a black screen.
    in the black screen type "ipconfig" . Scroll up till you find default gateway.

this is the gateway of your internet router.

post the make and model here.

Thanks
    FrTed

Silver Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    To see if your PC recognizes the TV, open the Network and Sharing Center, and check if your TV is featured in network doing the following on the PC:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...f-your-network

Enable network discovery, if not have it enabled:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...work-discovery

If, once activated for the network, your TV is not on the network map, it means the PC can not detect the TV. In this case, to check if the router detects your TV, connect to it from the PC as follows:
    Open your browser (IE8, FF, Chrome, etc), and type the IP address for the router, it will be "http://192.168.1.1/."
    The following window appears requesting entry to the router username and password, which, by default, can be "admin" for both the user and the password (see your router's manual or ask your ISP).
    Menu appears router options, one of which shows you the computers that are connected, one of them will be the PC, and must be the TV, if there is no connection problem is between the TV and router .

Both router and the PC must be configured, by default, DHCP.
    Last edited by Jomsp; 02-11-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Shoot, I forgot to check the thread for the last few days. I'll be back on tonight and see what I can come up with. Thanks guys.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FrTed View Post
    Hi Darco41,

Can you give the make and model number of the router. I think that Upnp needs to be enabled on it.
    if you goto start and search box type "cmd" and hit enter. you should get a black screen.
    in the black screen type "ipconfig" . Scroll up till you find default gateway.

this is the gateway of your internet router.

post the make and model here.

Thanks
    FrTed
    Hey Ted,

It's a Netgear RangeMax WPN824 v2. Also, why did I need my defualt gateway again? I found it the way you instructed me to... Thanks for the help!

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomsp View Post
    To see if your PC recognizes the TV, open the Network and Sharing Center, and check if your TV is featured in network doing the following on the PC:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...f-your-network

Enable network discovery, if not have it enabled:

If, once activated for the network, your TV is not on the network map, it means the PC can not detect the TV. In this case, to check if the router detects your TV, connect to it from the PC as follows:
    Open your browser (IE8, FF, Chrome, etc), and type the IP address for the router, it will be "http://192.168.1.1/."
    The following window appears requesting entry to the router username and password, which, by default, can be "admin" for both the user and the password (see your router's manual or ask your ISP).
    Menu appears router options, one of which shows you the computers that are connected, one of them will be the PC, and must be the TV, if there is no connection problem is between the TV and router .

Both router and the PC must be configured, by default, DHCP.
    Alright, I am not seeing my "TV" anywhere on the network. I clicked "View Computers and Devices" and I have 5 different devices. My computer, GF's computer, my computer again but with a different icon next to it, Internet Gateway Device, and Residential Gateway. I removed the wireless USB adapter from the TV and nothing changed, so none of those are the TV.

Also, I have network discovery enabled, it was already activated.

I found an option in the router that was "Attached Devices" and it listed my computer, my girlfriends computer, and the TV. What now? I think this is becoming hopeless...
    Last edited by Darco41; 02-12-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Darco41

"I think this is becoming hopeless..."..... persistence is key :-)..

The Gateway usually contains the ip address of the web admin console..
    looking at some netgear manual it tells me that ..

put http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter.
    The Login window will prompt for the router configuration username and password.
    * The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”
    To turn on Universal Plug and Play:
    1. Select UPnP under Advanced the main menu
    Click Apply to save your settings.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Ted

Silver Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darco41 View Post
    Alright, I am not seeing my "TV" anywhere on the network. I clicked "View Computers and Devices" and I have 5 different devices. My computer, GF's computer, my computer again but with a different icon next to it, Internet Gateway Device, and Residential Gateway. I removed the wireless USB adapter from the TV and nothing changed, so none of those are the TV.

Also, I have network discovery enabled, it was already activated.

I found an option in the router that was "Attached Devices" and it listed my computer, my girlfriends computer, and the TV. What now? I think this is becoming hopeless...
    I'm not clear if your PC is connected to the TV, because on the one hand, you say me that TV does not appear in the Network Map Network Center and shares, but on the other hand, seems to answer in Another response to Lake292, saying you've pinged and if you get the appropriate response.

To avoid misinterpretation, rather than despair, it is best to Ping the IP of the TV from the PC, as Lake992 said, to ensure that the PC does not detect the TV, the following procedure:
    With the remote control the TV, go to the Network Setup menu on your TV and record the IP that is assigned to the TV.
    Enter the PC> Click Start> All Programs> Accessories> Command Prompt> Type the command ping and the IP address of the TV you've recorded and Enter.
    ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address of the TV.
    If communication is available, a response message with a set of values. If you do not get a reply within a couple of seconds, it means that the TV recognized the network.

If there is communication by pinging, disables antivirus from your PC, and then test if the communication is established, because the problem would be a "software" has damaged the network discovery, and the first candidate to damage the network connection are third-party antivirus programs.

If no communication by pinging, most likely the problem is with the router, its configuration. And you can continue testing the following:

1) Have you checked if both the router and the PC are configured with DHCP (automatic IP assignment)?.

2) As FrTed indicated, check if you turned on Plug and Play in the router.

3) To check if the problem could be found in the router's wireless settings, connect the TV to router with ethernet connection via cable, instead of via WiFi, and try again if the PC detects the TV.

4) Also, if it were possible, you can use another router to connect, and check if this "new" router is the connection of network TV.

5) Get in touch with technical support service from your ISP, and ask how you should configure the router to connect a TV with DLNA to your LAN.

Await the outcome of your tests.
    Last edited by Jomsp; 02-16-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    hi,
    I also forgot to mention to switch on browse pc.
    on the TV
    Goto Home -> network settings -> show pc media files ->on
    Thanks
    Ted