• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

SHD8600 Digital Headphone Problem

A few days ago I purchased Philips Digital Wireless Headphones (SHD8600). They connect and work well on my stereo. However, I'm having problems with connecting them to the TV. My TV (a Samsung LCD model LA32B350F1D) doesn't have a headphone socket and so according to the instruction book it requires an extra cable (labeled ‘G’)where one end has a socket for the jack to go into and the other end has the red and white audio plugs that you then connect to the back of the TV. I took a trip back to Dick Smith to get said cable. The sales guy suggest that instead I should get the cable that has the red and white audio plugs at both ends and then plug one end into the back of the TV and the other into the base unit of the headphones. Even though I'm technically challenged it made sense to me because to my way of thinking it's simply bypassing the socket and jack connection but for some reason I can't get it to work. With the ATT switch set to -8dB I get absolutely no sound at all. With it switched to 0dB I get a very low quiet buzzing type sound. I tried plugging it into both sets of R-audio-L component in plugs on the back of the TV but neither works. I am now on a course of treatment and medication that prevents me from driving so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to Dick Smith so if anyone could provide any suggestions on why it isn't working or anything else I could try I would be most appreciative.

Edited to add - I have since been advised that it looks like both sets of R-audio-L component in plugs on my TV seem to be audio in only not audio out. The only plug on the rear of the TV that seems to be an output one is the Digital Audio Output (optical) one.
    Last edited by Cathryn; 01-28-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear Cathryn,

See the email I just send you. Your TV does not have any audio outputs, except for a Digital Optical one, but the SHD8600 does not support digital inputs. The audio jacks you refer to are all INPUTS. So, this will not work I'm afraid.

Regards,
    JuAn
    Forum Mod

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    JuAn

Thank you for taking the time to post both your reply and the email. I sincerely appreciate your information and at least now I can stop researching and trying options in the hope I could get it to work. Once my health permits I will return to Dick Smith where I purchased it. I did specify to them that my main reason for the headphones were for use with the TV so hopefully they will be willing to work with me to find another option.

Thanks again for your time and effort.