• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Angry A fine piece of hardware UNUSABLE because of poor software

I have an AW5000, but I assume this applies to every product in the series.

This product requires you to use Philips' proprietary software to act as a media player. Instead of, as I expected, it being able to forward the audio output from my Spotify client or my local Android media player, Philips expects you to open their software and have it half-heartedly emulate the function of your already existing media players. Needless to say, it does so in a very unsatisfying manner.

This was a VERY disappointing discovery. This renders a fine piece of hardware completely unusable to me. I am not interested in sitting around waiting for Philips devs to half-heartedly try to emulate the software that I already know how to use and be forced to use their proprietary software which barely even works.

WHY CAN'T MANUFACTURERS UNDERSTAND THAT WE WANT OPEN AND EASY ACCESS, NOT YET ANOTHER SHODDY PROPRIETARY MEDIA AGGREGATOR?!

Sad to say it but I will be returning this product to the store where I bought it.

Gold Member
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Hi !

The AW5000 uses the completely and absolutely open UPnP/DLNA protocol, nothing "proprietary" at all.
    You got several choices of software you can use to stream (push) music to it. In Android, I recommend Skifta, but there are a vast number of others out there too.
    If you must use one specific music player, you should go for a Bluetooth speaker instead of a full-blown UPnP/DLNA renderer like the AW5000 :-)

Cheers !
    Last edited by Tias; 02-09-2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Typo

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    If the standard is completely and absolutely open, why doesn't Philips give us complete and absoulute access to it? For instance: They advertise highly that they support Spotify, but doesn't actually let me use Spotify. Instead I have to let Philips AirStudio app half-assedly control Spotify for me, which is not what they told me. Why not let me interact with the Spotify client and let AirStudio relay the audio in the background instead of forcing me to use AirStudio and its quite frankly shoddy and buggy UI?! It is obvious that Spotify will make a better client and keep it more up to date than Philips ever can.

Why can't AirStudio capture the audio, either from the entire device, or better, from a specific program, and relay it to the speaker via UPnP/DLNA? If a bluetooth speaker can do it, why can't the so-called "full-blown" speaker do it?

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I completely agree that this hardware is let down by its software. I wouldn't mind so much if the app was actually any good. Instead we get some webpage-wrapped-up-in-an-app that is just awful. I'm lucky if I can even get to my spotify playlists most of the time...

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    UPnP and DNLA was not invented by Philips. You can find all info here (UPnP) and here (DLNA).
    Streaming audio from, for example, a PC via UPnP is possible, just Google it and you'll find some solutions to it. I have not heard of any application for Android/iOS being able to do this, but there might be something out there that's able to do it.
    Spotify has absolutely nothing in common with UPnP/DLNA, so that's another story.

Cheers !

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tias View Post
    UPnP and DNLA was not invented by Philips. You can find all info here (UPnP) and here (DLNA).
    Streaming audio from, for example, a PC via UPnP is possible, just Google it and you'll find some solutions to it. I have not heard of any application for Android/iOS being able to do this, but there might be something out there that's able to do it.
    Spotify has absolutely nothing in common with UPnP/DLNA, so that's another story.

Cheers !
    I think we are all aware of this. I was referring to the iOS app, which I didn't make clear. Judging by the number of similar complaints (and its app store reviews), there is no denying that the AirStudio app is substandard.

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Well, I did not reply to your message, I replied to the one from sylvan.
    However, I do agree that the AirStudio application is not one of the best. Personally, I prefer to use Skifta on my phone since it responds much swifter.

Cheers !