• Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

ds1155 alarm audio comes out of both iphone speakers and dock speakers but desynced

Hi Philips,

After purchasing the DS1155/12 dock I have the problem that when the iPhone's alarms goes off the audio comes from both the speaker dock as well as the iPhone speakers. Since there is a small delay between both is sounds really really terrible.

However when playing normal music audio comes only from the speaker dock and sounds correct.

I have seen this problem from the moment it came out of the box.

Are other people having the same problem ?
    Is the device defective or does this problem exists on all DS1155 devices ?

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Vincent,

DS1155's primary function is as a music player and unfortunately does not support the alarm feature. Therefore, when playing music it automatically switches to dock speakers but it does not so with any other phone sounds.

With Kind Regards,
    Philips Moderator Team
    Forum Mod

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips-Tereza View Post
    Hi Vincent,

DS1155's primary function is as a music player and unfortunately does not support the alarm feature. Therefore, when playing music it automatically switches to dock speakers but it does not so with any other phone sounds.

With Kind Regards,
    Philips Moderator Team
    Sorry but hearing about this after the purchase is very unsatisfactory.

The device is promoted as "making it the perfect device on your nightstand."

Without every mentioning that there are SERIOUS problems with using your iPhone as an alarm in combination with the DS1155 device.

Philips really should mention this to the consumer as they should be correctly informed before purchasing this device for the bedroom to use it as a charger / music player and alarm that would be to quote Philips "Perfect".

I'm not saying that the DS1155 should be an alarm clock itself, but before the purchase there was no reason to expect that the alarm feature of the iPhone would become seriously impacted after connected it to this device. Failing to mention that when Philips clearly knows about this is misleading for the consumer.

A speaker dock should just be external speakers to the device. There should be no difference between playing music as part of the alarm or playing music any other way.

One simple line stating that "Using the DS1155/12 together with the alarm feature on the iPhone is NOT supported." would have been enough for Philips to do due diligence and inform the customers about this. (How you would in any case still claim that it's perfect for your nightstand is beyond me)
    Last edited by vincent; 02-20-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Vincent,

apologies for the confusion. if you download the DockStudio App it will give you additional funcitionality including the alarm sound set up, which will sort out your problem.

Should you have any further issues with the application or the docking system, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Philips Moderator Team
    Forum Mod

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips-Tereza View Post
    Hi Vincent,

apologies for the confusion. if you download the DockStudio App it will give you additional funcitionality including the alarm sound set up, which will sort out your problem.

Should you have any further issues with the application or the docking system, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Philips Moderator Team
    I see. The DockStudio App does indeed seem to work for alarms.

However it seems like a Hack. Why doesn't the native alarm 'just-works' ?

The app itself seems unpolished. A lot of the buttons feel very nonreactive and unresponsive, which is probably due
    to the icon size being so small and the hit box for your fingers being tight along the edges of the icon. Thus creating a lot
    of 'near misses' when trying to hit the icon.

This is especially bad when trying to set the alarms. First you have to hit the little gears on the clock-screen. Then you need
    to click AGAIN to go to the alarm-settings. Then then you want to change an alarm you have to get the cancel/save button right and finally try to hit the 'go-back' icon again.

When I go to bed I do not want to spend 5 mins to set my alarms. Let alone get frustrated by not being able to do it fast and the application not responding to me presses (intensions).

So these things should be fast and intuitive basically making it full proof to hit the buttons correctly each and every time. (The iPhone's own clock/alarm app gets this right)

When you do hit save you get that annoying popup telling you the app won't work properly in many cases. Who wants to
    read that, each, and, every, time.

Specifically horrid is the recommendation to "4. Speaker volume should be adjusted appropriately for the alarm". Does that mean that if I switch down the volume for some reason and set the alarm I will not wake up ? because I need to manually boost up the volume to make sure I hear the alarm. Or even worse when being forced to set the volume high to hear the alarm in the morning you are woken up during the night because other apps are also sounding there notifications.

Another annoying thing to me is that 'Fequently asked questions' button. Which is just ugly to see that just put on the screen on several pages.

It also highlights an issue with I18N (text translation) on the DockSpeaker app. The app is horribly inconsistent. My iPhone is set to my countries language (Dutch) and the app is a complete mess of Dutch and English texts. (Heck Philips is Dutch, why not get at least that right ?)

The problem with really silly problems like the I18N is that it makes the application look very unprofessional. Why should I trust an application to not suck my batteries dry and wake me up every morning it if does not even gets I18N right ?

Setting the list of usability issues with the DockSpeaker app aside for a moment.

There is really nothing in here that gives one a reason to want to use this app. The only thing which it provides more then the build-in alarm clock is a increasing volume of the music sound when the alarm triggers. And that is not even parameter one can change themselves ! For instance the volumes goes up quite fast.. I would prefer a bit slower build-up.

Why wouldn't Philips add really useful features to a professional looking app like 'wake-up-light', (optionally) big tough-screen snooze button, alarm-profiles (grouping several alarms so you can select and enable/disable a profile of alarms at one), etc.

In the end it does not seem like the DockSpeak app is a good alternative and Philips has a LOT of work left in the app to make it something near the quality that I would expect from Philips !

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Level
    Thanks
    understand :|
    the best solution i guess is to set a song in the native alarm.

tried, for songs no delay.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinnie View Post
    understand :|
    the best solution i guess is to set a song in the native alarm.

tried, for songs no delay.
    Regretfully with my iPhone 5 and the DS1155/12, I get two outcomes:

1) When I set an alarm in the native app with a song to go off in a couple of minutes I get the problem where audio comes from both the dock and the iPhone, with a sync issue between the two speakers.

2) When I set an alarm to go off in the morning and dock my iPhone the evening before. Most of the times I do not get the audio desync issue. However this is due to the fact that the entire dock is not working anymore. There is no audio coming out of the speaker what so ever. And when pushing the volume buttons nothing happens at all.. Clearly it's only charging and not functioning as a dock anymore.

So my feeling is I bought a very expensive charger dock instead of a speaker dock...

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Level
    Thanks
    like wt i mentioned... i suggest you to exchange your unit... playing safe, see if you can get another model.
    i have several docking models (DS3200/ DS8550/ DS9000/ AS351/ AS111) from philips since the time i use my iPhone 3Gs (then change to 4S and now galaxy note 2 already), all this while i m using philips and i dont see the sync issue, at least on 3 older iPhone docks. i guess it s just this model which has this flaw.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I have the same problem.

- Immediate alarms play on both iPhone and dock, but desynced.
    - Alarms past 15 minutes in the future play only on iPhone

Using any 3rd party app (including the poorly designed Philips one) restricts you to short alarm sounds due to iOS restrictions on notifications/alerts from apps. That ain't gonna wake me up.

Philips, you really need to address this. I'm going to return mine since it can't perform one of its main functions: being an alarm clock. Fix it, and I'll buy it again.

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Want to play internet radio but the display sais. Connect to docking speaker were it is actually on. How come? I use Dockstudio and ds1155/12 dock. Thereby , the after 15 minutes inactivity sleeping dock will not wake up by the alarm set by Dockstudio.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Internet radio has to be activated by the docking speaker. However, since DockStudio is not supported by DS1155, the internet radio cannot be activated.

If it is supported, you can find information of DockStudio on the leaflet & packaging box.
    Forum Mod