Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Wacs7000: Approved way to remove rear panel for CD player replacement

Hi,

It seems that I will have to replace the slot-loading CD player since a CD has not been accepted and now will not eject. Posts elsewhere suggest this is a weak point of the components.

I now need to remove the grey plastic rear cover to get access to the CD drive so I can
    a) retrieve the CD
    b) check all the player's connections and see whether the component is actually broken
    c) if need be, replace with an equivalent slot loading CD drive - as long as it's a ATA device they 'ought' to be easy to swap ;-)

I have removed the 4 'obvious' silver screws plus some of the small black screws but there is still no 'give' - is there some other attachment point(s) that I need to deal with ?

I have not found any official documents detailing the removal of the cover.

Many thanks.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi

see the links below which refers to the older wac700 but should be the same - failing this you can buy service manuals in pdf format

John

home.arcor.de/berndz2001/hdwechseln/14051-wacs700.doc

or
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t106326...d_in_cd_driver
    Last edited by jphenrick; 03-03-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jphenrick View Post
    Hi

see the links below which refers to the older wac700 but should be the same - failing this you can buy service manuals in pdf format

John

home.arcor.de/berndz2001/hdwechseln/14051-wacs700.doc

or
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t106326...d_in_cd_driver
    Thanks.

Clicking the side speakers off was the key.
    Then I removed the small cover plate covering the speaker connectors.
    Next I unplugged the [speaker cables.
    Then I undid and removed the screw next to the FM connector
    Then I removed the Wifi antenna cover and pushed the actual aerial into the box so I could then gently prise the rear cover off. Remember just how this goes back - it's a pain when reassembling !

Having done that, I was able to examine the CD drive - which looks like a stripped-down normal drive rather than a real slot loader.

Looking down the LH of the drive I could see a white circular hub (about .75 cm in diameter) next to an embossed symbol saying "Eject" with an arrow indicating direction of turn.

I rotated the hub as per the arrow and the trapped CD was slowly pushed out until I could hold it and pull it out.

With a 'scrap' CD at the ready - (Daily Mail cover DVD !) I then applied power to the unit and checked the front display was still functional - warning there is a ribbon connector on the LH which is easily dislodged if the sticky tape has degraded. If you do this re-insert the ribbon, with power Off. There was a whirring sound from the CD drive which seemed to be resetting itself.

Next I switched Source to CD so it showed No Disc, then inserted the CD a few times and pulled it out again. Finally the mechanism 'caught' and the disc was pulled in. I tested the Eject button which seemed to work OK now.

So it seems as if it's the CD recognition that is flaky - you should not have to push the CD all the way in - repeat a few times with 3/4 insertion with slightly different positions - you may well find the CD is now loaded.

If you are now happy start re-assembly again. As said, I found getting the Wifi antenna back in correct place the difficult bit. Make sure the FM connector goes through its hole in the rear case, and re-fix with screw.

Once you have the back cover on but not screwed in place, re-check the front display by powering on, checking, then off.
    If the display is blank you will need to go back and securely re-insert that ribbon connector mentioned earlier !

Complete reassembly and recheck display, recheck the CD is captured again - may need a few tries - it does not seem as reliable as when the unit was new.

This may save you from contemplating a replacement of the CD mechanism which from my inspection looks almost impossible since there seems to be some custom hardware interfacing to the drive.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi All,
    I had the same problem with my WACS7000/05 the CD failed to eject. Only a slightly different solution.

Thanks to the above disassembly instructions from Mikewhit I got to the same point where I could see the eject wheel that he refers to. I totally agree with the comment about the ribbon connectors dropping out, it is worth noting where and how these connect, because there is a HIGH chance of them pulling out. On my Drive the .75cm wheel with a cross on it was rotating freely when eject was pressed. I noticed that there are 2 gears at the top of the drive on the same side as the aforementioned .75 wheel. With closer inspection using a good maginifying glass I could see a hairline crack on the top nylon gear which was spinning but slipping on the shaft. Rather than purchase a new drive I botched by blobbing the gear and shaft with a small amount of superglue which seems to have done the trick.

Thank you to Mikewhit for putting me in the right direction.