• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Diamond Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks

Thumbs up Reviews: Philips 9600 BD Player VS playstation 3 VS Denon 1611

interesting piece of review from another forum, and i happen to get the author's approval to post it here

I had the opportunity to borrow the new Denon 1611 , and the latest philips 9600 player last week to se if they were as god, better ore would crush my current BD player, the god old fat PS3.

I had the Philips the first day's and got puplic enemy and sherlock holmes on blu ray(2 of each) so I could just use the remote to switch between hdmi 1 and 2 instead of stopping the movie and changing the movie to the other player.
    Calibration was done with spears and munsli, and then minor adjustments to get the picture most alike the stand alone and Ps3.

When playing dvd, no question , hands down, the philips eats the ps3 alive. I use the live concert from Peter G, Growing up, and the sky blue clip to compare. The blue stage light at the start of the song is like an ants nest on my ps3 and marantz dv6400, but on the philips the picture was clean and noise free.Also on the der untergang dvd, the PQ got a good lift with the 9600 player.

When watching BD the story is another. I can see no major PQ when using the Denon or the Philips compared to my Ps3. I can, when I pause the picture at the same spot , maybe notice a touch of finer details and maybe see better black's, but in action shots and in general I could not notice any difference(the P 9600)
    Same on the Denon, it's better on dvd but not as god as the Philips, and on BD compared to the Ps3 I can, again, see no difference at all. In fact at chapter 2 in S Holmes, when the picture pans out from the sign on the brick wall ( I ran the clip at least 20 times switching from the denon / ps3) the brick wall was sharper on the PS3, Even after I had done some adjustments in the denon player menu (overall sharpness etc) I could see no improvement over the ps3.

If I were to pick one the Philips would be my choice , because of the dvd picture and overall build quality. Ore maybe wait for the new oppo ore denon 2011 player.

hard to attach image here, so for picture quality benchmarking, plz go to:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-players/1386079-ps3-vs-denon-1611-philips-9600-bd-player.html
    Last edited by kwinnie; 03-07-2011 at 04:38 AM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    interesting! Though I think it s a bit pricey... €599
    Last edited by jvpeters; 03-10-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Learning more for Qdeo chipset at http://www.marvell.com/technologies/qdeo/ and benchmarking the prices in UK
    ∑ Philips 3D Blu-ray Disc Player BDP9600: £483.88-549.00
    ∑ Onkyo Blu-ray Disc Player BD-SP808: £499-510.59
    ∑ Pioneer BDP-LX91 BD Player: £ 1,600 - 1,810
    ∑ Sony BDP S5000ES: £ 699.99 - £ 1,099.95

9600 is not at all expensive in this sense

Tags for this Topic