Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

MCI500H freezing up when connected to internet

Hi,

Since a year or so I hardly used my player anymore. Somehow it had become useless, because no matter what I did, it would freeze after some time playing, regardless if I'd be listening to FM, playing a recording from HD or listening to internet radio. Only removing the power cord would allow me to start up again which of course is a time consuming thing to do. It seemed to me that the receiver somewhere developed a software bug.

But last week, after having moved it without reattaching the com cable, I suddenly realized that it played fine on FM, actually I listened all day using the receiver. And also I could listen anytime I wanted to harddisk material.

Only when I reattached the com cable to the player in order to tune into an internet station my troubles started all over again.

I don't think that the internet provider (Tele2 via ADSL) has changed anything to cause this, but I do wonder what could cause this strange phenomenon.

Problem is also that I don't dare to change anything in terms of resetting or reloading firmware because I have no idea how I can get the audio files that are now only on the HDD back into my computer. Unfortunately the original music is no longer on my PC, I would have to be able to copy the music back from the MCi500H before I do anything else with the receiver. Can anyone help me out here?
    Last edited by paulvr; 03-11-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Gold Member
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Hi !

I am not sure what you mean with the "com cable", but I am assuming that you mean the Ethernet cable. Have you tried to connect wireless ?
    If you want to download the music tracks from your MCi500H, you need to connect it in some way or another to a PC. The most straight forward way is with an Ethernet cable directly form the MC500H to your PC and then run my WACHandler. It allows you to up- and download music tracks, among other things.

Cheers !

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Tias,
    Thank you very much for your reply. Yes indeed, I was talking of the ethernet cable. And no, I don't even have a wireless internet. I stopped with that after I found out that even using a good password didn't entirely stop people from breaking in so I felt working with wires only was safer.

As far as the system is concerned, it has always worked, I changed nothing. Until one day the receiver started freezing up. First only so once in a while, later ever more frequently. And nothing else that is connected (computers, satellite receiver, printer) to the network gives any problems at all. Going to wireless seems not very relevant, besides the modem is 2 floors away from the MCi500H and there are a lot of signals from neighbors because I live in a part of town with many students on rooms, so wireless doesn't really seem the best option. Unless you think otherwise?

As far as the link with the PC is concerned, i have even used direct linkage with WADM, sending files from the PC to the MCi500H is no problem at all, but somehow I can't find the command that's needed to send it the other way. Can you give me a hint how to do that? I read meanwhere your link to WACHandler, thanks a million, I'll download it and let you know my results!
    Last edited by paulvr; 03-13-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi !
    My suggestion about WiFi was to see if that network interface works better than your cable interface.
    There might be something wrong in the cable interface that doe snot affect the wireless interface, that's all.
    So for testing purposes, I strongly suggest to test with WiFi, just a few minutes to see if the problem persists.

About downloading your music : WADM can only upload tracks from our PC to the MCi500H.
    The only software that can download from your MCi500H to your PC is my WACHandler.

Cheers !

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Oh, great, thank you. I thought that I was stupid being unable to find a way to get my files back from the MCi500H with the WADM programme. What a curious way of Philips to deal with this. They should have given a BIG warning to anyone using their stuff. Thanks a million for sending the link to WACHandler, it's super-important to me.

Getting WiFi is not so easy for me, like I said I concentrated on a wired system after I found hackers to be too active in our area. I also have a rather big memory problem after having been too often under narcosis for operations in the hospital, so I have to not only redo the system but also to find the proper instructions to activate the wireless bit.

But perhaps using a direct cable between computer and MCi might already give an indication? I mean to say that if making a separate direct Ethernet line between PC and MCi does NOT give me the freezing problems it's more likely to be related to the internet connection, if it does it seems to indicate that the MCi doesn't handle any ethernet connection properly, wouldn't you agree?

Anyhow, I better start tomorrow by copying the content of the MCi's harddisk to my PC with WACHandler, it's now 2:30 in the Netherlands so I should have been in the bed a couple of hours ago...

Thanks again very much!!!

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Problems with WACHandler

Hello Tias,

This morning i tried to use WACHandler. First of all wired up in the network, luckily the MCi500H didn't freeze up.
    All seemed to go OK, the player was immediately detected and after a nuber of checks the screen went on. Below it read:

Found MCi500H @ 192.168.1.8; Loading Playlists... 0/0 (Blue progress bar)

But that blue bar went to around 80% or so and then got stuck. I tried it several times in different conditions, such as with the player on HD, the player on FM, the player on standby. Each time I rebooted the PC, but every time I got the exact same result.

The Computer HD has at least 500 GB free space, it's a Windows 7 system, 64 bits, i7, 8GB memory so that couldn't really be the problem either.

I also connected the player directly to the PC but when I did that WACHandler just reported "stopped" without giving any sign of having detected the player. And yes, in that situation I also rebooted the computer twice.

Does this make any kind of sense to you? Any suggestion as to what to do? Should I try and use another computer, a slower model perhaps or one with XP instead of Windows 7?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Perhaps I should add that WADM works perfectly well, within seconds it shows the dontent of de player's HDD which by the way contains about 105,6 GB in files, 38,9 GB is still free. So an overfilled HD isn't a reason why WACHolder halts at around 80%.

Beats me why WADM works and WACHolder not.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paulvr View Post
    Beats me why WADM works and WACHolder not.
    Ahem... I'm sorry, of course I meant WACHandler. Wacholder is the German name for some kind of dried juniper berries as you use in cooking. Strange what one's mind sometimes does :-)

nevertheless, I still can't WACHandler to do what it's supposed to do, sadly...

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I keep trying, hope that you'll read this.
    Meanwhile I have tried the same with my older XP computer. WACHandler started fine, recognized the attached player immediately, started downloading file list as above and... yes also there the bar on the right side below stopped reading files when the bar was close to 80%. That seems to indicate that the computer isn't at fault, and also the wiring system seems OK, the player is still working fine, not freezing up. But I so much wanted to recover the many files from the players HDD. I feel frustrated immensely, no idea what to do next.

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi !
    I'd like to see what stops WACHandler while it loads the PlayLists form your MCi500H, so can you please start WACHandler in log mode (see the FAQ of WACHandler on the webpage) and mail me the 2 log files (my e-mail can be found i the About window in WACHandler). Perhaps I can find out what's causing it to stop there.

Cheers !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tias For This Useful Post:

paulvr (03-14-2013)

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Tias,

I just did, in fact in two seperate emails, one containing the log files after having closed down WACHandler, the other while it's still running but inactive.

kindest greetings,

Paul.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Tias,

Did you receive the files you requested for me to send to you? If not please let men know?

Kindest wishes,

Paul.

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Paul !

Nope, the log files never arrived to me ;(
    Please try again (if you didn't do this earlier, try to zip them before sending them).
    If you have a DropBox (or similar) account, upload the files there and send me the URL of the files via e-mail.

Cheers !

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Tias,

I can't really understand why the log files didn't get to you but as you asked, I zipped them and sent them again a minute ago. Somehow I don't know why the WADM program lists all files rather quickly on my PC but the WACHandler gets stuck while trying to get the file list.

Please let me know that you received it this time? I used the address given in the programme, also after your name and the @ the letters mi point your country abbreviation.

Hope you can analyze what goes wrong,

kindest wishes,

Paul.