Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I'll just close this conversation (from my part) by saying that TVersity is an UPnP MediaServer, not DLNA.
    It is widely used becase there's a functional free version.
    Any report that a Philips TV doesn't do FF/REW with TVersity must be answered with this in mind - it is not a DLNA media server.
    foobar2000 (which I also use, just for audio), is also just an UPnP media server - with the UPnP component installed.
    I hope this helps.
    I had this problem, I've posted about it, nobody has given me a clear answer and I haven't found it anywhere.
    I've found the answer myself and just shared it.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    You might be right but why does philips recommend tversity in manual when its not compatible? Why didnt they suggest other software?

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

conclusion:

Philips TVs = DLNA (mostly Version 1.5) compliant

Mezzmo = DLNA Media Server
    TVersity = UPnP Media Server
    foobar2000 = UPnP Media Server

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

Add:
    Windows = DLNA Media Server (W7-WMP12, Vista-WMP11 little less and XP-WMP11 less)

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosfm View Post
    I'll just close this conversation (from my part) by saying that TVersity is an UPnP MediaServer, not DLNA.
    It is widely used becase there's a functional free version.
    Any report that a Philips TV doesn't do FF/REW with TVersity must be answered with this in mind - it is not a DLNA media server.
    foobar2000 (which I also use, just for audio), is also just an UPnP media server - with the UPnP component installed.
    I hope this helps.
    I had this problem, I've posted about it, nobody has given me a clear answer and I haven't found it anywhere.
    I've found the answer myself and just shared it.
    I do not know if you can give a single answer, taking into account, for example, this criticism:
    “Critically, in this standard, however, seen that many - in fact self-evident - not installed or inadequately functions are implemented only. It can happen that when accessing the TV to a network drive, the function of the pre-and rewinding is not possible. However, this is on the transfer rate between NAS and device dependent too.”
    Source: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...twork_Alliance

And this:
    http://www.dlna.org/industry/why_dln.../media_format/

I do not know what the solution is better because each configuration of PC-Router-TV can give a different result depending on hardware and software that is made.

However, I would propose, in this case, test on a computer with W7, try to play with Play-To option in WMP 12.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...atures/play-to
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...s-Media-Player
    Last edited by Jomsp; 04-01-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake292 View Post
    You might be right but why does philips recommend tversity in manual when its not compatible? Why didnt they suggest other software?
    Hi,

i think it is partly compatible. But I agree with you, that the description in the manual is not very clear...

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Jomsp, in my case, it has nothing to do with the network, please don't insist.
    I had TVersity sharing music files too and FF/RW never worked, even with small mp3 files - no transcoding.
    Change software to Mezzmo and everything works, including 1080p full HD video concerts.
    What does network have to do with this?
    I have the best possible implementation, considering that the TV has an 100Mb network card.
    The network card on my PC is an Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop - you can't have much better than this on a desktop, only on high-end ($$$) servers.
    My TCP/IP paramenters are optimized, I have very good network speeds, and true (measured) 24Mb internet speed.

I'll pass on the recommendation for W7 and WMP12.
    Or should I spend more on a PC than I did on the TV, just to play some media files over the network?
    Also, as a media player on your PC, WMP always was and still is one of the worst sounding media players and one that needs external codecs just to play normal media files like ogg, flac...
    I simply don't want to use it, it sounds horrible.
    PS: you need a good system to get to these conclusions, not some PC speakers...

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

some more general information.

DLNA-Clients can only play media files if they have build in the supported codecs. That is the reason why some DLNA-Servers have a transcoding feature (to play media files even if the TV has NOT the necessary codecs).

Some DMS (DLNA Media Server) have such transcoding feature, some of them don't (e.g. Window 7).

For more information on Windows 7 as DMS see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2...windows-7.aspx

Some other DMS are:
    - http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/default.asp
    - http://www.wildmediaserver.com/
    - http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake292 View Post
    That recommendation is done without testing at all.
    I'm completely sure.
    TVersity is an UPnP media server, not DLNA.
    FF/REW doesn't work no matter what, even when transcoding is completely disabled for all files.
    It doesn't have a profile for Philips TVs, it detects the TV and thinks it's a Sony PS3 or something else.
    You have to edit a file by hand and manually configure the capabilities and the supported codecs of the TV. It's not trivial.

Conclusion, Philips should remove the word TVersity from all the TV user manuals.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I've just bought Mezzmo.
    27.63€ (VAT included).
    It's cheap.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosfm View Post
    The only issue with the DLNA implementation on Philips TVs is not being able to FF/Rewind.
    This makes it unuseable.
    It doesn't work with films, it doesn't work with music files either.
    Sound drops were corrected on the last firmwares, it doesn't happen on mine now, at least for the use I give it.
    I don't have an AV amp (I'm a high-end stereo kinda guy...) so I don't know if there are still sound drop problems in this case.
    This not true actually. With music files FF and Rewind do work. Only movies are not supported.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joop View Post
    This not true actually. With music files FF and Rewind do work. Only movies are not supported.
    Please read the last pages of the thread, I have got to different conclusions by my own experience.
    I was using two media servers which were not DLNA but instead UPnP AV compliant.
    With an UPnP media server, FF/REW doesn't work on Philips TVs, with video and audio files.
    I can't speak for every software out there, just from what I have tried.
    You can try TVersity (good luck setting it up for your Philips TV ) sharing audio and video files.
    Disable the transcoding for the entire folders so that it doesn't serve as an excuse for FF/REW not working.
    I used TVersity for audio for just a couple of days, until I've discovered that it just couldn't read 24 bit FLAC files.
    So, I've removed the audio folder from the library and used it for video files only.

You can also try foobar2000, with the UPnP component, sharing audio files - very simple to set up. FF/REW doesn't work.

There's a pattern here: UPnP.

FF/REW works with Mezzmo, which is DLNA 1.5 compliant.
    Last edited by carlosfm; 04-04-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toengel View Post
    Some DMS (DLNA Media Server) have such transcoding feature, some of them don't (e.g. Window 7).
    Hi, Toengel,

It is incorrect, because Windows 7 have trasconding feature, and more.

Can be read in that article you linked:
    "In Windows 7 we let you enjoy the media you want and don’t trouble you with the need to know about file types or codecs in most cases. (For more details, see Table 1 below). In addition to supporting local playback of new formats, we can also ensure that the content will play on devices that may not support the codec, bit rate, container, or format of that content. We accomplish this by using the new transcoding support in Windows 7.
    Let’s say for instance you have a DivX movie you want to watch on your new DLNA certified television which only supports WMV and MPEG2. Windows 7 will determine the capability of the TV (codec, bit rate, etc.) and dynamically convert the DivX video to a format the TV can play. The general rule of thumb is: if Windows Media Player can play the content on the PC then the content will almost always play back on the network connected device. Bandwidth estimation techniques are used for media streaming within the home and over the internet, which enables Windows 7 to transcode using the most optimal format and bit rate.
    The format and bit rate chosen for transcoding, especially for video, is highly dependent on the CPU performance of the transcoding PC as identified by its Windows Experience Index:
    We also created a flexible model for silicon partners to provide hardware accelerators that automatically work with media streaming and other Windows 7 features. This new acceleration model allows hardware developers to build media foundation proxies for media format encoders and decoders that are fully implemented in their hardware (perhaps in a GPU or additional hardware device). With hardware supported encoding and decoding, Windows 7 can offload the computationally demanding transcoding to dedicated hardware as a background task without affecting the CPU performance of the PC”.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2...windows-7.aspx

Wikipedia: “If the devices do not support the streamed format, Windows Media Player 12 transcodes the format on-the-fly”.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Player_12

MS Help: “When a media file is streamed using Play To, Windows must sometimes convert the file to a format supported by the playback device receiving the stream. This process is called transcoding”.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

The Internet has many sources where can be read that W7 have transcoding feature, through its new feature of WMP 12-Play To.

To keep people confused when reading your comment wrong, especially taking into account that your comments are usually correct, it may be convenient to edit and correct your comment properly.

In any case, transcoding does not seem the main thing that gives rise to this thread.

Windows 7 is a Media Server DLNA 1.5 certified.
    Philips TV (high-end models and appropriate year) is a device Media Client DLNA 1.5 certified.

I doubt there is another Media Server, that is not Windows 7, that works best with Philips TV.

We could say that Philips TV via DLNA, would be required to work 100% W7 Media Server, because W7 is a Media Server certified and guaranteed maximum quality.

Greetings
    Last edited by Jomsp; 04-04-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    With the latest version of Mezzmo DLNA works PERFECT !!!

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi everyone.
    I do have the same problem ie no FF or FB on both my 46 and 32PFL7605H . ( firmware 032)
    These are both wire connected via a D-Link ethernet switch to a 2TB laCie NetworkSpace2 that is a uPNP / DNLA certified MediaServer, which is updated to the latest release available. Any suggestion on how to fix this?
    I understand that Mezzmo could be the solution, but I would like to avoid to keep a full computer switched on when I have a media server/storage box that is having the latest available technology...
    Also, I notice quie often (not always) that the films are not running smoothly, but like with a slight intermittent pattern that of course is very annoying. Is it again a matter of incompatibility with the TV software/player or some wrong settings of the TV image preferences that are overloading the TV player? This is actually happening also with all settings off
    thanks for your help & suggestions...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast