Hybrid View

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

HTS8100 - Low sound volume... anyone else with this problem?

Maybe if I start a new thread, we can get some more activity around this topic!

My HTS8100 has worked almost flawlessly (occasional problem with sticky sliding door), but last week the sound volume started to go to a VERY low setting. If I turned the system off a few times it would come back. But the last 4 days it has stayed low. I can hear it, and it I set it to max it gets a bit louder but not loud enough to be usable.

I have tested it with different devices and different outputs (HDMI1,2,4/Optical and RGB), so seems to be a problem with the entire system.

Anyone else find a fix, short of a do it yourself repair like the person who I have quoted below? Does a Philips Moderator have any information about this or advice for an "out of warranty" fix?

fduvall

Originally Posted by Drlnguptx
    I do alot of searching on the internet and have successfully repaired many items through what I learn.
    I read over this post when I first started searching for a resolution for My Phillips equipment. Understand that there are alot of politics and lawyers involved in making decisions at a corporation...
    However, I am usually a one to two post guy to those who REALLY need the help. Being that there is NO solution that I could find on the internet, I figured I'd go ahead and see if this would resolves someone's issue without costing them anymore in repair or heart ache! lol

Here is how I repaired my problem...no sound. I cannot vouch for the door jams....
    My problem was found within the sub woofer. This is where the power supply is located. Best i can tell without schematics is that there is a primary and secondary power unit contained within the power supply. One powers the the amplifier board and the other powers the sound bar.
    Do this at your own risk!
    Remove the board (further most lower board contained in the subwoofer, watch out because there are some tricky screws to remove) and you will notice that there are two IDENTICAL electrolyte capacitors ( if you don't know what one looks like, google it) on ONE the side of the board. Mine are marked> 200V 330uf 85C. Without going into the circuitry of how I discovered that the ONE was faulty and the OTHER was on its way faulty, replace them. Don't attempt to replace them with a different value as the original as failure is sure to occur. Spend the extra money and get the exact voltage, micro-farad and most importantly, temperature.... I can go on and on about how they are applied within the circuitry, I have a feeling that no one would really care about it! Just know that the circuitry is set to rely on the primary capacitor , which will eventually lead to another failure...If this is your issue, you will see that there is wear around the plastic of one of the capacitors. My unit has been running for a few days now, so be confident that if, indeed, yours has this same issue, this will fix it.

Good luck! And I hope it resolves your issue...

Silver Member
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    In the other tread, there is mentions of hardware failure, and so stated in your post (from other user). From my point of view, I claim it to be a hardware issue and the unit needs service. To get this confirmed, I recommend you to contact your local Philips Consumer care centre.

Thread can be found here: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...volume-setting

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Yes - I posted in the other thread and started this one to see if I could get any new information. I just received a message from Philips and they are looking into where the nearest Philips Authorized Service Center is (Barcelona area).

Thanks for your reply.

fduvall

Quote Originally Posted by MrBarton View Post
    In the other tread, there is mentions of hardware failure, and so stated in your post (from other user). From my point of view, I claim it to be a hardware issue and the unit needs service. To get this confirmed, I recommend you to contact your local Philips Consumer care centre.

Thread can be found here: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...volume-setting

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I am having an issue with an HTS8100 soundbar. Love the product so far, and found this site while doing a search for the "low volume" issue that I (and many others) are experiencing after using the unit for a few years.
    So far, the customer service has been attentive (Chat and email), but the problem does not seem to be recognized or acknowledged by Philips. The two threads that have been started have not really gotten much attention from the Forum Moderators.

So the "jury is still out" when it comes to my opinion of Philips and their products.

My next step seems to be visiting an authorized customer care center, which for me is about 45 minutes away by car. This is not unexpected, but I do wish that there was more information provided on the Forum about this particular issue, what the problem is and what the repair process (and costs) entails.

Normally, I might just buy something new, but I really like the HTS8100 and feel that it should not fail after a few years of normal use. When I see that many others are experiencing the same issue, it makes me determined to see if Philips (or any manufacturer) will stand behind their product(s).

Good luck with your problem.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fduvall View Post

Normally, I might just buy something new, but I really like the HTS8100 and feel that it should not fail after a few years of normal use. When I see that many others are experiencing the same issue, it makes me determined to see if Philips (or any manufacturer) will stand behind their product(s).

Good luck with your problem.
    Totally agreed!!! It happened to my other HTS9140. Bought with high hope, and in high price too and end up in high disappointing!

Don't spend on Philips! Is a waste of money and frustration!!!!

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Anybody else with this low volume problem? How did you solve it?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I dropped my HTS8100 at the Philips Authorized repair center and after 2+ weeks have no word on what is wrong. I contacted them last week and they just said that it will be "some days" before they have any word. And this is just regarding a diagnostic and price estimate. So I am waiting, but may just go and buy something else. And I promise it will NOT be a Philips product if I am forced to go elsewhere due to slow customer response. I am a loyal customer but only when treated well...

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    So, after more than 2 months at the Philips Authorized repair center, I still have no word about my HTS8100. The shop has been friendly with me (and they know me after several calls), but I am having a HARD time understanding what is taking so long to just let me know if the unit is even repairable...

This is NOT looking good for Philips and as much as I LIKE the HTS8100, I would have a hard time recommending ANY Philips product. My Panasonic Viera TV (46" Plasma) worked flawlessly for 5 years and my Current Samsung TV (50" Plasma) have never had a problem. My home entertainment center is all Apple (AppleTV and AppleTV2, Time Capsule and 4 Macs) + an IPTV box.

So the weak link, thus far, is Philips. Will they step up and fix this issue? Will keep you informed.

fduvall

Quote Originally Posted by fduvall View Post
    I dropped my HTS8100 at the Philips Authorized repair center and after 2+ weeks have no word on what is wrong. I contacted them last week and they just said that it will be "some days" before they have any word. And this is just regarding a diagnostic and price estimate. So I am waiting, but may just go and buy something else. And I promise it will NOT be a Philips product if I am forced to go elsewhere due to slow customer response. I am a loyal customer but only when treated well...

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I had the same problem and got help from Philips support chat.

The solution the provided was:
    Try unplugging the soundbar from its power outlet for one minute. While you have it unplugged disconnect the subwoofer from the soundbar. Once a minute has passed reconnect the subwoofer to the soundbar and the soundbar to its power outlet and see if that helps.

This is how i described my problem:
    My soundbar has recently started to behave strange.
    The sound is very low. Using max volume makes the sound barely "normal".
    It doesn't matter what source I am using (digital coaxial/mpr line-in/the inbuild DVD-player/inbuilt FM radio). All sources behave the same.
    I have the latest firmware (v37) and I have disconnected the power cord lots of times (also for a longer time).
    Is there an option to "factory reset" my device or is there anything else I can do?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to f1valk For This Useful Post:

chrisham (05-26-2013)

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    My luck quickly ended

This morning the problem is still there, and the above solution does not work

fduvall: What is the progress with your unit? Have you got it repaired? What was the problem? How much did it cost? What country are you in?

/Daniel

Silver Member
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    case is a bit different with that of 8100. 8100 is the first sound bar ever, a 2007 device if i am not wrong.

even the hardware still functioning ok, it may not be able to read some of the newer disc as some technology may be changed already

but of coz i can still udnerstand the frustration there

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    If 8100 being an older model, shouldn't 9140 live up to higher expectations?

If 8100 is Fullerton Hotel, then I expect 9140 is Raffles Hotel

PHILIPS - Pls dun mess with the consumers here, we are paying for quality

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    as far as i know for all the retruns/exchange/ repair are of countries' operation and they really cannot be solved in the forum. hence user will be sent to the service centre to see wt are the possibilities there.

just imagine there are hundreds or thousands of service centres in china/ india. they really have no idea which service centre the users will go to and wt level of service can be provided there. same in europe... some larger service centre can offer upgrade/repair... but some smaller ones, maybe they can only exchange ur set. all in all, it really depends...

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Kylie - Thanks for your reply, but do you work for Philips? If so, full disclosure would be nice. WRT your comment about service centers, I do not see how a hypothetical situation in China has any bearing hear.

To give you a bit of background, in Spain I am working with an Authorized Repair Center (ARC); the only one for Barcelona/Catalonia (not sure how many there are in Spain). I posted something on the forum hear, and a forum rep told me that she would look into my case and try to help, which I do (still) appreciate.

However, I was informed that I need to go back to the Spanish support network. The Spanish ARC has already told me that they are done helping and I should go straight to the Spanish Online Customer Support. The Spanish Customer Support is appalled at what I have experienced so far and are trying to help.

So I am still a bit perplexed as to why someone who volunteers to look at my case, could not call the Spanish ARC and mention that they are an employee of Philips and trying to get answers for a customer that does not speak perfect Spanish.

Oh, and did I mention that this has been going on since March?

Quote Originally Posted by kylie View Post
    as far as i know for all the retruns/exchange/ repair are of countries' operation and they really cannot be solved in the forum. hence user will be sent to the service centre to see wt are the possibilities there.

just imagine there are hundreds or thousands of service centres in china/ india. they really have no idea which service centre the users will go to and wt level of service can be provided there. same in europe... some larger service centre can offer upgrade/repair... but some smaller ones, maybe they can only exchange ur set. all in all, it really depends...

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    and yea, after all, hts8100 is a 2007 model which has been EOL for a long time (i can understand why the spare part is difficult to find)

for a products running for 7 years, some sort of issue/ wear-out can be understandable indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast