• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

No Normal Sound Output on HD Channels

My 42PFL6007T/12 has no normal sound output when displaying HD channels and [Audio Out format] is set to 'Stereo'.
    [Menu - Setup - TV settings - Sound - Advanced - Audio Out format - Stereo].

This is the second television that I have had that has developed this exact same fault and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or could try it for me, I am in the UK.

My current television worked fine for 4 weeks without any updates or being connected to the internet. After upgrading the software from the original 150.48.14 to 150.85.0, normal sound disappeared from all HD channels, however 'audio description' is heard despite [Universal access] being set to 'Off'. Normal sound is present on all SD channels. The fault occurs with internal speakers and optical output. The only setting that has been changed from installation is to set [Audio Out format] to 'Stereo'. I use this setting as the television is connected via optical output to separate stereo system.

Changing [Audio Out format] to 'Multichannel' causes normal sound to return, however use of my stereo system is not possible.

I can get sound on 'HD' channels with [Audio Out format] set to 'Stereo' by:-

- either selecting [Options – Audio language], this shows two 'English' entries. The lower entry will be selected, however by setting this to the upper entry gives normal sound, however changing channel causes loss of normal sound requiring 'Audio language' to be chosen again. The television appears to default to the 'audio description' language.

- or by setting [Universal access] to 'On, then setting [Options – Universal access - Visually impaired] to 'On', normal sound reappears but with 'audio description' on all channels, i.e. both languages selected.

The first set had the exact same problem in January, following an automatic software update. Philips support could not offer any further help to what I had tried and arranged for the set to be sent away for repair. The set was duly returned damaged (the top frame was bent) and I eventually got a replacement from my supplier. I do not know whether they cured the fault or not.

I have tried unplugging, full factory reset and any menu options that might be relevant.
    I am otherwise pleased with the set and am trying this route for further information since I think 'Philips support' (an outsourced call centre) will only suggest a repair, a very bad experience, and it appears to me, to be firmware related.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Bran,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you still experiencing this issue?

If yes, could you tell me who your channel provider is and if you are using the internal tuner on the TV or a set top box.

Have you tried to reinstall the TV?

There is also a newer software version available for your TV. You can find it on the product support page here on our website here:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...=42PFL6007T/12

Best regards,
    Ina

Quote Originally Posted by bran View Post
    My 42PFL6007T/12 has no normal sound output when displaying HD channels and [Audio Out format] is set to 'Stereo'.
    [Menu - Setup - TV settings - Sound - Advanced - Audio Out format - Stereo].

This is the second television that I have had that has developed this exact same fault and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or could try it for me, I am in the UK.

My current television worked fine for 4 weeks without any updates or being connected to the internet. After upgrading the software from the original 150.48.14 to 150.85.0, normal sound disappeared from all HD channels, however 'audio description' is heard despite [Universal access] being set to 'Off'. Normal sound is present on all SD channels. The fault occurs with internal speakers and optical output. The only setting that has been changed from installation is to set [Audio Out format] to 'Stereo'. I use this setting as the television is connected via optical output to separate stereo system.

Changing [Audio Out format] to 'Multichannel' causes normal sound to return, however use of my stereo system is not possible.

I can get sound on 'HD' channels with [Audio Out format] set to 'Stereo' by:-

- either selecting [Options – Audio language], this shows two 'English' entries. The lower entry will be selected, however by setting this to the upper entry gives normal sound, however changing channel causes loss of normal sound requiring 'Audio language' to be chosen again. The television appears to default to the 'audio description' language.

- or by setting [Universal access] to 'On, then setting [Options – Universal access - Visually impaired] to 'On', normal sound reappears but with 'audio description' on all channels, i.e. both languages selected.

The first set had the exact same problem in January, following an automatic software update. Philips support could not offer any further help to what I had tried and arranged for the set to be sent away for repair. The set was duly returned damaged (the top frame was bent) and I eventually got a replacement from my supplier. I do not know whether they cured the fault or not.

I have tried unplugging, full factory reset and any menu options that might be relevant.
    I am otherwise pleased with the set and am trying this route for further information since I think 'Philips support' (an outsourced call centre) will only suggest a repair, a very bad experience, and it appears to me, to be firmware related.

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    Hi Bran,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you still experiencing this issue?

If yes, could you tell me who your channel provider is and if you are using the internal tuner on the TV or a set top box.

Have you tried to reinstall the TV?

There is also a newer software version available for your TV. You can find it on the product support page here on our website here:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...=42PFL6007T/12

Best regards,
    Ina

Hi Ina,

Thank you for your reply,

Yes I am still experiencing the issue and am now using the latest software Version: 000.150.087.000

I am based in the UK and my service comes via Freeview using an aerial. The problem only occurs when using the internal tuner and only occurs when receiving Freeview HD channels.

I have no problems when using a satellite receiver on Freesat or if I use a separate Freeview HD recorder.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bran View Post
    Hi Ina,

Thank you for your reply,

Yes I am still experiencing the issue and am now using the latest software Version: 000.150.087.000

I am based in the UK and my service comes via Freeview using an aerial. The problem only occurs when using the internal tuner and only occurs when receiving Freeview HD channels.

I have no problems when using a satellite receiver on Freesat or if I use a separate Freeview HD recorder.
    Hi Bran,

My apologies for the delay in replying to you. I have been looking into the issue in the meantime.

I would like to request some more details from you to invesigate further. Please send me a PM with your postcode.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Last edited by Philips - Ina; 07-09-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Ian
    I have exactly the same issue than Bran. I have no sound with the internal free view tuner on the HD channel.
    My post code is RG1.
    I have the latest firmware.
    What do I need to do to fix this.
    Thank you