• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

46pfl9705h - buzzing sound when ambilight is active

My TV generates an irritating buzzing sound when the ambilight is on. When the ambilight is turned off the sound disappear. The sound is especially distinctive when the TV speakers are muted, or when a surround receiver, connected with HDMI, is used (which of course also mute the TV-speakers). I have also tested the TV without any receiver, or any other external device connected. It does not make any difference, the sound is still there.

The buzzing is not very loud, but loud enough to be heard all across my living room (and beyond) if it's not drown out by another sound source. It is difficult to tell exactly where on the TV the sound emerges from, but I think it is from the front TV-speakers.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with this model? Any other with the same problem?

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    You should contact Philips support.
    There have been some reports with ambilight buzzing...

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petasis View Post
    You should contact Philips support.
    There have been some reports with ambilight buzzing...
    According to Philips support partner here in Norway, named Infocare, this is a completely normal noise for this model and something I just have to accept. They say they can't do anything about it. The problem is that I can't accept it. The buzzing is so annoying that I can't use the receiver with the ambilight active. For me this appears to be a hardware problem. What I wonder is if Philips really make that crappy hardware. Or is this a faulty that can be fixed, hopefully with software (my TV has already been repaired three times and I'm tired of it).

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmandersen View Post
    According to Philips support partner here in Norway, named Infocare, this is a completely normal noise for this model and something I just have to accept. They say they can't do anything about it..
    Infocare should be immediately removed from the Philips technical support chain with answers like this one!

Suggestion: a good lawyer of a consumer's association that could prepare a refunds/substitution request of the defective TV (lack of conformity). Cheaper way to obtain justice in few time.

Several PHilips users are not experiencing this problems with the Ambilight swtched on. If they say that "it's normal": they are lying.
    No mercy with them!

regards

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettle View Post
    Suggestion: a good lawyer of a consumer's association that could prepare a refunds/substitution request of the defective TV (lack of conformity). Cheaper way to obtain justice in few time.
    regards
    Yes, I do consider to complain to the Norwegian consumers' council. Not first and foremost because of the buzzing sound. It can be difficult to argue what should be an acceptable noise level on a TV. But because Philips are breaking the Norwegian consumer law. In Norway a company only have two attempts to fix a given fault. If they are not able to fix it during those attempts, the customer can claim a new product. The third time they would change my LCD panel, I told them I wanted a new TV. But even though they admitted the two previous times had failed, they refused to give me a new TV.

The problem is of course that a case like this takes a lot of time and resources. I have to take at least one day off from work to be called as a witness, etc. I know because I have been through it before. I don't know if it's really worth it.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmandersen View Post
    Yes, I do consider to complain to the Norwegian consumers' council. Not first and foremost because of the buzzing sound. It can be difficult to argue what should be an acceptable noise level on a TV. But because Philips are breaking the Norwegian consumer law. In Norway a company only have two attempts to fix a given fault. If they are not able to fix it during those attempts, the customer can claim a new product. The third time they would change my LCD panel, I told them I wanted a new TV. But even though they admitted the two previous times had failed, they refused to give me a new TV.

The problem is of course that a case like this takes a lot of time and resources. I have to take at least one day off from work to be called as a witness, etc. I know because I have been through it before. I don't know if it's really worth it.
    I have a 40pfl9705 and it does the same, ambilight on and it buzzes, off and it stops.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear both,

I had the same "buzzing with Ambilight on" problem with my 40PFL9705/12, and they repaired it for me.
    Acc. to the service guy, this is a known problem for the 40 and 46 inch 9705 sets. There even is a solution for it: they replace a wire on the PSU by 2 diodes and a resistor in parallel. The workshops are aware of this. So, contact Philips Support again with this info.

Success!

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peu306cabrio View Post
    I had the same "buzzing with Ambilight on" problem with my 40PFL9705/12, and they repaired it for me.
    Acc. to the service guy, this is a known problem for the 40 and 46 inch 9705 sets. There even is a solution for it: they replace a wire on the PSU by 2 diodes and a resistor in parallel. The workshops are aware of this. So, contact Philips Support again with this info.
    Thanks! Nice to get a confirmation that it is a solution for this problem. I've also earlier been given hints that this issue is repairable, but this is the first time someone have been able to give such details. It is useful information when certain workshops claim that this noise is incurable.

However my 46pfl9705 is once again on service, and the workshop has surprisingly enough indicated that they finaly have a fix for the ambilight noise. Although this is not the real reason it's on service this time.