Hybrid View

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

55pfl8007k disappointment

I bought this tv, thinking that it will be an upgrade to my current 46" (other brand) tv, but it's kinda disapointment.
    -Subtitles are too small on the screen, almost unusable.
    -Picture quality is not what I expect from this price range.
    -DVB-T subtitles do not show.
    -Menus and guide are hard to navigate.

Please add a subtitle size option for next firmware, I cannot imagine how small they will be on 46 or 42"...

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Here is a summary about one month of use
    I "upgraded" from a 46" another brand to 55pfl8007k, I can hardly say it is an upgrade except screen size.

-Subtitles are too small
    -Some sound codecs are not recognized on mkv's? (Never had an issue on the "other" brand tv which was 4 years old)
    -DVB-T broadcast subtitles do not show at all.
    -Video playback from a PC using HDMI "stutters"
    -Menus do not wraparound.
    -Menu navigation speed is terribly slow. (Like you are using a computer from 1960's)

Philips was a clearly wrong choice for me.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KaanG View Post
    Here is a summary about one month of use
    I "upgraded" from a 46" another brand to 55pfl8007k, I can hardly say it is an upgrade except screen size.

-Subtitles are too small
    -Some sound codecs are not recognized on mkv's? (Never had an issue on the "other" brand tv which was 4 years old)
    -DVB-T broadcast subtitles do not show at all.
    -Video playback from a PC using HDMI "stutters"
    -Menus do not wraparound.
    -Menu navigation speed is terribly slow. (Like you are using a computer from 1960's)

Philips was a clearly wrong choice for me.

Hi KaanG.

Can you please confirm he software version that is installed on your TV?

When it comes to your list.
    - From what source are you experiencing the subtitles are too small?
    - sound on MKV's> have you made sure the sound codec is supported by the tv?
    - DVB-T subtitles can be turned on in the menu, this is a broadcaster option to have this automatically shown or not, most cases they aren't automatically put on.
    - HDMI from PC> have you tried putting your TV in PC mode? if so what's the result of this?

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    -Subtitles are too small when I try to play mkv/avi files with separate .srt files using tv's usb playback feature. An option to make them bigger would be useful. I'm including a comparison with default sizes of some other players.

-The sound codec is dts, I think that the tv does not support it. But exactly this (lack of support) is the problem, because my old tv was fine in that area. I know, I should've check the supported codecs, but thinking that the model year of 55pfl8007k was 3 or 4 years later than my old tv I was expecting that it will have a better codec support, and skipped that pre purchase research.
    Using a pc for playback is not as practical as putting the stick to the tv, but at least it is an option now (because the stutter issue is solved).

-(DVB subtitles : ) I turn on the subtitles on the menu, but could not make them to show. Again my old tv displays them correctly on the same line, so it should be a tv issue. Correction : I checked, my line is DVB-C (TeledŁnya in Turkey), not DVB-T

-I tried your suggestion, and it seems to get rid of the issue.(Why didn't I think of this before : (Perfect motion seems to be disabled in pc mode, but I can live with that.). Thank you very much Benedickte.

TV software version is 150.85, I didn't upgrade to 150.87, because I do not experience the problems listed in the resolved issues. Should I update?

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KaanG View Post
    -Subtitles are too small when I try to play mkv/avi files with separate .srt files using tv's usb playback feature. An option to make them bigger would be useful. I'm including a comparison with default sizes of some other players.

-The sound codec is dts, I think that the tv does not support it. But exactly this (lack of support) is the problem, because my old tv was fine in that area. I know, I should've check the supported codecs, but thinking that the model year of 55pfl8007k was 3 or 4 years later than my old tv I was expecting that it will have a better codec support, and skipped that pre purchase research.
    Using a pc for playback is not as practical as putting the stick to the tv, but at least it is an option now (because the stutter issue is solved).

-(DVB subtitles : ) I turn on the subtitles on the menu, but could not make them to show. Again my old tv displays them correctly on the same line, so it should be a tv issue. Correction : I checked, my line is DVB-C (TeledŁnya in Turkey), not DVB-T

-I tried your suggestion, and it seems to get rid of the issue.(Why didn't I think of this before : (Perfect motion seems to be disabled in pc mode, but I can live with that.). Thank you very much Benedickte.

TV software version is 150.85, I didn't upgrade to 150.87, because I do not experience the problems listed in the resolved issues. Should I update?

Hi KaanG.

- Regarding to subtitle size, do you experience this on only this one file or all files? Also did you try the file(s) you're experiencing this with, on another Philips TV? (example in the shop?)

- When it comes to DTS support, unfortunately you are right, our TV's does not support this. So this is the reason why there is no sound. Different brands have different specifications on all codecs supported so it's always recommended to check what's supported before buying.

- Subtitles on the broadcast i've checked up on and i can see that the broadcaster you have is not certified, meaning we cannot guarantee that it will work 100%. The supported/ certified providers for Turkey are: DVB-S ; digiturk and D-smart. Have you tried setting the subs to automatic too? ( might work )

-I'm glad that my suggestion when it comes to stuttering worked

- Even though there isn't mentioned as "solved/improved" on something you're experiencing we always recommend to update your TV with latest SW as there might be little bugs that is solved and overall make your TV preform better

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Last edited by Philips - Benedickte; 05-29-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Benedicte, all files I've tried (around 20 different avi and mkv files) show the subtitles too small. I don't have another philips tv to test it, but when I go to the store again, I'll look it up on tv's which are on display and report.
    Since the stutter problem is solved, we can watch files on PC as a workaround.
    I've set subs to automatic, and they still do not show. TeledŁnya is Turkey's cable tv provider, I don't know anything about certification, but as I said on my previous post, my old Samsung TV displays them fine. On the other hand, only BBC has broadcasting subtitles. We can write and read English fine, but fast dialogues are a problem (I miss some of them when watching a show). That's why we need subtitles
    The most annoying issue was the stutter problem, and it is solved now, thank you. All other ones are minor problems, but together they lower the perceived total quality of the tv.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Benedickte, because of your suggestion, I've updated the firmware to 150.87 yesterday, and DVB-C subtitles started to show up. They are even appropriately sized (bigger). but mkv subtitles are still small, there is no change in that area.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I am also dissapointed with 55pfl8007 - fw150.87

1. Slow menu/interface operation, does not feel like dual-core.
    2. Primitive media player : no DTS decoding (I recode movies into AAC/AC3 with PC) , no subtitle resize(but enough large if you stay less than 4m from TV), no auto subtitle select when available, stop = pause (stop should allow me to watch again from the begining, but i only have to rewind manually) ; only manual fast forward or rewind, when I should have time skip (if I want to continue the movie next day) ; it loses subtitles from time to time(showing 4xx minutes, I have to restart the movie ); sometimes it still shows deleted folders/movies from the attached HDD)
    3.Perfect motion does not really help motion, it gives to much soap opera effect and artefacts. It can be disabled but nott remembered at next TV start.
    4. Smart TV freezes sometimes (also remote pointer freezes randomly), facebook not allowing anymore to login: shows connect user and login but nothing happens. Picasa never allowed me (or anyone else having Philips TV) to login with google account. No flash support/no movie clips play inside WEBsites.
    5. Sometimes it forgets saved WIFI connection. It also cannot remember the static IP address setup, and when it does it still takes ages to connect when I start the TV.
    6. The DVB-C channel logos are recorded randomly, some showing nothing.
    7.If I enable fast start (or quick start) the TV stays all day long in OFF power state that consumes 28W, which is like a light bulb ! It does not remember or learn the viewing intervals ! Even if i disabled that it still showed 28W on a power meter. Only a factory reset solved the problem, showing 0W as normal in power off mode. No answer from Philips local service or this forum about this !
    8. It loses from time to time the HDD connected to USB, on stand-by it does not disconnect it, but also not feeding enough as the HDD makes noises trying to stay awake.
    9. You cannot have 2 HDD connected : one for movies and one for recording . The TV restarts or does not feed both HDD.

So, as you see... not really happy... and if it weren't my wife who likes a lot the ambilight I would be change it with another 55'' TV from the other rival company which has the same panel (can't complain about the image quality, except when fast action), but much better reviews.
    Last edited by lbanias; 06-30-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!3 months registered

Level
    Thanks
    Did you get any response about the slow menus?