• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

42PFL3207H/12 - sound cuts out

I bought a 42PFL3207H/12 a few month ago and the sound cuts out for a few seconds with a scratch at seemingly random times when using the internal speakers. I've tired different sound sources and the problem persists so it's obviously something wrong with the TV. As far as I know some Philips TVs have suffered from bad soldering so I'm guessing it's the source of the problem.

Any simple ideas how to fix it, it's under warranty so I suppose I'll just send it back to the store.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno View Post
    I bought a 42PFL3207H/12 a few month ago and the sound cuts out for a few seconds with a scratch at seemingly random times when using the internal speakers. I've tired different sound sources and the problem persists so it's obviously something wrong with the TV. As far as I know some Philips TVs have suffered from bad soldering so I'm guessing it's the source of the problem.

Any simple ideas how to fix it, it's under warranty so I suppose I'll just send it back to the store.
    Hi Benno.

Could you please confirm what software version that is installed on the TV?
    What sources have you tried?
    How often are you experiencing this?

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Benedickte View Post
    Hi Benno.

Could you please confirm what software version that is installed on the TV?
    What sources have you tried?
    How often are you experiencing this?

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    I'm running the latest version of official firmware from the support pages(http://www.philips.fi/c/televisiot/3...drp3?t=support). Updating the firmware did no difference.

I've only tried digital sound sources, i.e. digital TV reception, all HDMI ports with sound and picture from two different PCs and via coaxial to external speakers. I've also cloned the sound from my speakers to make sure that there isn't any problems with the source and it also worked flawlessly with my external speakers.

It cuts out at seemingly random places but I's say that certain frequencies are more error prone. It also seems to be tied to the volume, the higher the volume is the more it cuts out. It actually works really fine for digital TV if the volume is below 10 in the TV, which is really not acceptable...
    Last edited by Benno; 04-26-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Are my posts getting through at all? The forum has been incredibly unresponsive when submitting so I'm wondering if they are even getting onto your server.

Anyway I'll specify again.

I'm running the latest version of the firmware. Upgrading didn't make any difference, not that I expected it as nothing like my problem is mentioned in the changelog.

I've tried different digital sources with cloned sound to External/laptop speakers. Two different PCs, and three different soundcards. External speakers and laptop speakers outputs the correct sound in places where the TV speakers are failing. Sound output from the TV to external speakers works like a charm.

The problem also seem to be directly related to volume level. I.e. almost all sound cuts out on higher volumes and the lower the volume the less frequent are the cuts. The problem does however persist on "normal" listening levels and the volume gets too low when no cuts appear.

I'm, also quiet certain that the pop when the sound cuts for a few seconds is very similar to how it sounds when short circuiting a speaker. Seeing how higher volume requires a higher electrical current and higher voltage it's quite likely that the speaker wires are badly insulated or soldered(I have no idea how it's wired) and thus shorting out when they come into electrical contact with each other which is more likely to occur at higher voltages.

I'll also add that the TV already shorted the day I bought it but it didn't really occur often enough to even register as a problem. It has however gotten worse overtime to the point where the speakers are more or less useless...

Thank you for the support.

PS. The warranty information card which came in the box is only in Russian. The multilingual card refers me to http://www.philips.fi/guarantee for more information about the warranty. The link is dead and it required quiet an amount of googling to find any information regarding the warranty in Finland

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno View Post
    Are my posts getting through at all? The forum has been incredibly unresponsive when submitting so I'm wondering if they are even getting onto your server.

Anyway I'll specify again.

I'm running the latest version of the firmware. Upgrading didn't make any difference, not that I expected it as nothing like my problem is mentioned in the changelog.

I've tried different digital sources with cloned sound to External/laptop speakers. Two different PCs, and three different soundcards. External speakers and laptop speakers outputs the correct sound in places where the TV speakers are failing. Sound output from the TV to external speakers works like a charm.

The problem also seem to be directly related to volume level. I.e. almost all sound cuts out on higher volumes and the lower the volume the less frequent are the cuts. The problem does however persist on "normal" listening levels and the volume gets too low when no cuts appear.

I'm, also quiet certain that the pop when the sound cuts for a few seconds is very similar to how it sounds when short circuiting a speaker. Seeing how higher volume requires a higher electrical current and higher voltage it's quite likely that the speaker wires are badly insulated or soldered(I have no idea how it's wired) and thus shorting out when they come into electrical contact with each other which is more likely to occur at higher voltages.

I'll also add that the TV already shorted the day I bought it but it didn't really occur often enough to even register as a problem. It has however gotten worse overtime to the point where the speakers are more or less useless...

Thank you for the support.

PS. The warranty information card which came in the box is only in Russian. The multilingual card refers me to http://www.philips.fi/guarantee for more information about the warranty. The link is dead and it required quiet an amount of googling to find any information regarding the warranty in Finland

Hi Benno.

Thank you for this information. I would advise you to contact the local consumer care. Information regarding phone number and opening times you can find here:
    http://www.support.philips.com/suppo...userCountry=fi

They will be able to help you further out with this

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod