• Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

BDP7700 - Doesn't play discs, cannot perform software upgrade via USB either

So, I just unwrapped my brand new BDP7700.

I started up the player. I started to play "Avengers". The disc began to load and that was it. The player was complete jammed as the player moved from the Home screen to the actual disc content. They player did not respond to anything from the remote or to the controls on the actual player. I had to unplug the power cord to shut it down.

I repeated the process a few times, but with the same response: the player became totally unresponsive.

I then tried another Bluray disc, "Skyfall". Alas, the results were the same: unresponsive player.

I thought, okay, this might be a software issue. The current software version of the player is 3.17. And a newer version, 3.71, exists here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...scy=en&slg=eng

I downloaded the zip file, extracted it and copied the "UPG_ALL" folder, with the BDP7700.bin file inside it, to the root of a USB stick. I started the player and I plugged in the USB to port in the back of the player. Then went Home --> Setup --> Advanced --> Software Update --> USB. I clicked "Ok".

The following message appeared on the screen: "Now searching upgrade software. Please wait.". And that's it. The player was stuck with that message. I waited and waited... and waited, but nothing. The player was unresponsive. There was no message to "Start" the upgrade process.

I tried the same thing with two other USB sticks, also with the player's front USB port. The player simply keeps showing "Now searching upgrade software. Please wait." forever.

I've also done the factory reset and repeated the above attempts to play a disc or to perform the software update. It doesn't help.

So, the only thing I can do with the player is get to the Home screen, but that's it. It doesn't play Bluray discs and you can't update the software.

I have to say that this is without a doubt the worst experience I have ever had with an electronic equipment.

It's Saturday so I cannot get the player to a service center at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the damn thing working...

Regards,
    Mikko

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Just to clarify, I never started the software update process. The player just kept scanning the USB drive for the update file.

Also, according to a response I got at videohelp.com, the player should not require a firmware update just to work normally and there's very likely multiple things wrong with this player.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I think a software update is to recommend at first. Philips customer service should be able to guide you through the process, so I would contact them over the phone. If that does not help then you probably looking at a loading issue. If you have a loading issue please contact you retailer and they will help you.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Thank you for the reply.

I just don't see what the customer service could tell me about the software update that would make it work. The process is fairly straightfoward. The player simply doesn't find the update file from the USB to even start the actual update process. And I, unfortunately, do not have the option to connect the device to the internet to attempt the update via network.

I've contacted the retailer about this issue and the response indicates that they don't know this technical stuff at all. They gave me a link to a list of service centers near me and said that if I want to I can send the device back to be replaced. I'm still waiting for a reply from the local service center.