• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

DS3800W/10 "Unable to connect"

During initial setup, the WiFi light flashes green quickly, and then slowly. After pressing the button for 5 secs, the light flashes alternately green and yellow as in the instructions.

Then, on an IPad 2 the fidelio's own network appears in the list of networks, but when I tap on it I get an "unable to connect" message, following which the fidelio's network disappears. Same every time. Same also when trying to connect from a PC.

Any ideas? My router uses the normal 802.11b/g.

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I have the exact same problem.

Yesterday I tried to post a critical, detailed but purely factual review on the product in the hope it would trigger some response. All I received was a statement that Philips would not post the review because it was not respecting their guidelines (without specifying where I might have erred).

Today I chatted with an agent, again with no success. The agent confirmed that yes there is an explicit instruction video posted that explains how to load new firmware (my firmware is Version: 88.1000, Date: 2011-10-17 13:34:16 , probably the initial release?), but the actual new firmware is not published. I received the advice to just continue to check in weeks and months to come whether new firmware would be released (but there has been none in the last 18 months?).

Maybe the development team sees all this and they can post a reply with a link to the firmware? Also please consider updating the website.. having an explicit instruction video how to load the new firmware but then not offer the actual code... it drove me nuts for a good hour yesterday.

Looking forward to Philips' or anyone else's reply!

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear both,

There are no firmware for DS3880W. If there is a firmware, you can find it here:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...scy=DE&slg=AEN

For your issue, do you have another iDevice to test. If the testing results are the same showing 'unable to connect, please kindly let us know your iOS version, iDevice used and the serial number of your DS3800W.

Kind regards,
    Philips moderation team
    Forum Mod

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Thank you for the quick response. I just realized that there is an entire chapter (6) in the manual dedicated to downloading and then replacing firmware. And while printed manuals are difficult to change once handed out, the video instruction could easily be removed from the web (for some time at least) until new firmware IS made available. And for those coming through via the manual: consider an explicit statement on the webpage that there is no new firmware.

Until today I was hoping that I was just unlucky in that new firmware was in the process of being released and hence only not available for a couple hours / days. Why else would there be an explicit video instruction? But after today's chat with a Philips agent I am starting to wonder: has there ever been a release of new firmware? I already provided my firmware release level above (Version: 88.1000, Date: 2011-10-17 13:34:16) and there have been many iOS updates since then of course.

But since you asked: there are 3 devices that may try to connect to the Soundring:
    1. Apple iPad1 - on iOS6 - most often used
    2. Apple iPod Touch - on iOS6 - sometimes used
    3. Apple iPad3 - still on iOS5 - rarely used
    4. Apple iPhone4 - on iOS6 - rarely used
    Interestingly the beneath problems are experienced exactly the same regardless of which device is used to "feed" the Soundring with music (from Spotify). Obviously I never try to use "feeding" with more than 1 device at the same time. Spotify wouldn't allow for it anyway.

The problems:
    1. getting a link established
    2. maintaining the link when roaming between Access Points
    3. maintaining the link on 1 Access Point for more than just a couple of songs

On 1. In order to get a link established first all iDevices that may have had a connection in the past need to be switched off. Soundring ditto. Then startup Soundring. Once link is established, now fire up the iDevice that we plan to use for this audio "session". When both devices are linked to the same Access Point chances are reasonbly high that a connection will be established. All 4 access points have the same network SSID, same encryption key and mechanism (WPA/PSK-TKIP), they are only different in the channels that have been assigned to each. The Access Points are all cable connected to the same switch which itself is cable connected to the router that also serves as the DHCP server. The Soundring is set to manually to an IP address that sits outside the DHCP range (but on the same subnet of course) because it is then easier to trace for being up.

2. When moving the Soundring around the house, as soon as it has to switch from one Access Point to another, hence from one channel to another, chances are high that the link will be lost and the only way to re-establish the link is to reboot all devices from scratch.

3. After putting the iDevice on pause for say 15 minutes, again the link appears to drop (at least the Soundring is no longer available as an AirPlay device on the iPad). Re-establishing a link then again requires to reboot all devices from scratch.

So now the question: has there ever been a release of new firmware, i.e. one that is newer than the one currently loaded on my Soundring?

PS the model / serial is the following:
    Model DS3880W/10
    Serial PT1A1145001554

Again, looking forward to your reply!

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks
    Hi

Thanks.

I spoke with various philips agents, but none of them could offer a solution. I provided the device serial number, and they have it in their system registered against the same email address as for this account.

Anyway, I was ultimately advised to return the device, which I have now done.

I never got beyond the unable to connect stage.

For info, I had the same problem trying to connect from an iPad 2 (latest iOS) and a PC laptop.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Did anyone ever get any sense out of Philips about this issue?
    I have just spoken to Phillips UK and been told that there is no issue with this product and that despite my speaker lasting just over a year before an obvious design fault caused it to fail they wanted to charge me for the repair.
    Also told that the pages of other users posting here with the same issue is not an indication that there is a fault as "they could all just be posting anything"

I guess the lesson is don't buy anything else from a company with such terrible customer service.