• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Is VPN Connectivity Possible?

I would like to use the BBC iPlayer on my Smart TV in France but how do I connect the TV to a VPN service? My modem doesn't have the advanced feature for VPN. However, I am able to connect my laptop to the VPN service with the service's PPTP miniport installed in Windows XP.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbtv View Post
    I would like to use the BBC iPlayer on my Smart TV in France but how do I connect the TV to a VPN service? My modem doesn't have the advanced feature for VPN. However, I am able to connect my laptop to the VPN service with the service's PPTP miniport installed in Windows XP.
    I don't have the same version, but I'm quite sure the answer is No. You can't VPN from the TV.
    I'm in the same situation as you, I wanted to access other country apps. I was disappointed as well...
    There is a list of Apps depending on country IP somewhere on philips website.

Solution is to have a router for this (or firmware DD-WRT, to be checked), or a NAS (such as Synology that has VPN client function).
    I have yet to test with my NAS (some special configuration is required to have external IPs going through the VPN).

Good luck !

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbtv View Post
    Follow-up: I have been in touch with my VPN service company and they had some very encouraging news.

"We are a beta test company for a device called 'pocket TV' which may be the answer to all smart TV connections as it does exactly what you (and I) need. It's a small dongle, USB key sized that plugs into a spare HDMI port on your TV. Inside the dongle it has an Android OS chip that is capable of VPN, so it should just connect to your standard wi-fi router (like your PC) and enable IP masking for your TV. We'll see as it's due to arrive here in the next two weeks. We can't wait."

This may be the answer I've been looking for, hopefully it won't be too expensive. Now we all need is for Philips to provide the Apps that everybody wants and that other Smart TV vendors provide.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    For once I think Philips is not the only one to blame.

Some applications could easily be available in other countries (no particular rights).
    But some others just have to follow diffusion rights, same as replay TV available online but limited to country's IP.
    You have that in France with M6, TF1 not letting foreigners access their online free replay service.

It's hard for me to believe that an HDMI dongle will do the job...
    Your IP is given by your internet provider... Since your TV is connecting via Ethernet/Wifi, I don't get what a dongle onto HDMI will ever do.
    The only solution I can think of, is to have a VPN. Thus a new IP somewhere AFTER the TV internet connection.

Maybe you mixed "HDMI" with "ETHERNET" port. This would make sense to have a dongle on RJ45 (Ethernet) port, that has an embedded android + VPN client.
    Anyway HDMI and RJ45 don't have power lines available. So the dongle should work somehow...

But again, think of buying a multi-function Synology NAS, or a VPN client enabled router (DD-WRT or already present with vendor firmware).
    You should also be able to connect to internet through a PC, also embedding a VPN client. In that case you would need to have your PC switched ON before using Smart-TV.

You'll have to post your final solution.
    Last edited by Manuj; 11-16-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Second follow-up:

Two web pages that explain how to implement Smart TV with VPN. Connect the Smart TV with an RJ-45 crossover cable to the laptop which in turn uses its wireless connection to the router as you are suggesting. I will have to get a crossover cable to test it out. What I am not sure about is how to enable ICS on the VPN resource (in my case iPortal) and if it will work with Windows XP Pro as well.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...tv-658467.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ection-Sharing

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Third follow-up:

I can now connect my BBC iPlayer app to the BBC. I am using a service www.unotelly.com which provides an alternative to VPN with thieir DNS service. I am currently using the free trial period (8 days). I signed up with the service and followed their instructions for installing the new settings for a primary and secondary DNS servier from their network. The initial setup was done on my PC (XP). Then on my Smartv I changed the network setting from"Auto IP & DNS" to "Static IP" and then changed the settings for DNS1 and DNS2 to match the settings from my PC. I am in France and I can easily connect to the iPlayer library even when my PC in off.