• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

9700: BDP as CAS

In my opinion, for 9700 to compete in the premium price market segment of universal disc players, Philips does not have to compete on feature-for-feature basis. 9700 only has to do a few things really well, and you will attract lots of customers.

At the moment, what I consider 9700 is doing very well are
    1) as a DVD player for blu-ray & DVD playback
    2) as a CD transport (CDT) for playing back CD and sending audio signal through Digital Out to external DAC
    3) as a CD player (CDP) for playing back CD and sending audio signal through L&R RCA Out to amplifier

For music, I personally use #2 because I possess an external DAC unit. I've heard very favorable comments about #3 from users on my local forums. Without getting into too much detail how excellent the above three usage scenarios are, I'm proposing Philips to spend a bit more time on a newer category of usage scenario.

This new category will require little investment because I could see 9700 has most software/facilities built-in. So the investment of time will be for your engineers to fine tune and optimise the usage scenario, just like usage scenarios #2 and #3 have been continously optimized since 1982.

Here we go:

4) as a HD music file playback device or so-called "Computer-As-A-Source" (CAS)

Let me elaborate further. I could see 9700 is already able to playback FLAC & WAV files from a USB attached storage. I tried FLAC and 9700 gives very good sound. Very impressed. Will not have little complaint if not that 9700 is doing even better as a CD Transport.

I compare the same song reading from CD and reading from a FLAC file (ripped from the same CD myself). I use 9700 to send audio signal through Digital Out to my DAC. So both cases are controlled under the same conditions except for the part of reading from CD vs reading from FLAC. Internally in 9700, it's even handled by the same MediaTek chip and S/PDIF encoder (output to Digital Out). But then there is noticeable difference in audio quality.

As I said before, both sound great but reading from CD sounds even greater. So here comes my request. Can Philips spend some time to optimise and fine tune the FLAC playback functionality in a future firmware release? :-)

Since we're on CAS, I've also downloaded "MyRemote" iPhone app. To be honest, this app requires much more polishment. The GUI is even not properly adapted for iPhone 5's longer screen yet!

If you can have FLAC playback fine tuned, and MyRemote enhanced, I could see 9700 will be doing an excellent job in the category of CAS. Think about it Philips. You only need to focus on a few things to be outstanding in the market.

:-)
    Last edited by kvic; 07-28-2013 at 08:46 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kvic For This Useful Post:

kylie (08-16-2013),Stormen (07-29-2013)

Silver Member
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    From my test, V3.92 has sound quality improvement on FLAC playback over the previous version V3.85.10. This is good!

Now, I only wish Philips MyRemote app could be improved on usability. It performs poorly on a few fronts:

1. MyRemote can hardly discover the existence of 9700. Requires multiple manual trials. Wifi signals are superb condition.

2. On re-connect MyRemote will always display error messages but actually MyRemote succeeds to reconnect to 9700.

3. 9700's USB is buried under "Media" aka Sources. Why not move "Sources" to main screen which is very empty. Or add a "favorite/bookmark" preference, so that users can add bookmarks to the main screen?

4. GUI is not adapted properly for iPhone 5's longer screen. Some icons are not adapted for iPhone Retina (hi-res) display.

Empty main screen. Could make better use? E.g. adding "favorite" preference to allow users to bookmark "source" to main screen?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0915.PNG 
Views:	36 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	2160

MyRemote's Media/Source screen (showing what's available on 9700)
    Buried deep under MyRemote. MyRemote > Control > Media > Source (USB / Smart TV). Oh mine...

Name:	IMG_0916.PNG 
Views:	42 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	2161

Error message on reconnect. Look MyRemote sees 9700 at backend. Dismiss the error message. MyRemote works fine.
    But in general MyRemote peforms poorly on discovering 9700 eve though Wifi signal is superb.

Name:	IMG_0917.PNG 
Views:	44 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	2162
    Last edited by kvic; 08-11-2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Add screenshots