• Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Will my Germany-purchased TV work in the US?

Hello,
    I own a Phillips LCD TV (32PFL5604H/12) that I bought in Germany. I know it works on the European PAL system, but I am unsure whether it will work on the American NTSC transmissions system.
    The TV's user manual lists the supported TV system as "DVB COFDM 2K / 8 K". (Amazon is a bit more specific, also listing PAL I, PAL B / G, PAL D / K, SECAM B / G, SECAM D / K, SECAM L / L under the supported systems). However, NTSC is listed under the supported video playback systems: "NTSC, SECAM, PAL". Does this mean that I can only watch DVDs, or will I be able to watch regular terrestrial television in the US as well?
    If so, I realize I will have to purchase a powerful step-up converter, but is there anything else I should know?
    Thanks so much.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi UserManualConfusion.

Welcome to the forum.

You are correct in your understanding of the TV. Your TV will not work with American TV broadcast as they require TVs with NTSC in the TV system.

For video playback, you are again correct that this refers to the playback ability from external players.

The one thing I can think of that might be an alternative is to use a set top box with an HDMI or SCART connection. However, there could be compatibility issues with this, so I can't say that it will work 100%.

Best regards,
    Ina

Quote Originally Posted by UserManualConfusion View Post
    Hello,
    I own a Phillips LCD TV (32PFL5604H/12) that I bought in Germany. I know it works on the European PAL system, but I am unsure whether it will work on the American NTSC transmissions system.
    The TV's user manual lists the supported TV system as "DVB COFDM 2K / 8 K". (Amazon is a bit more specific, also listing PAL I, PAL B / G, PAL D / K, SECAM B / G, SECAM D / K, SECAM L / L under the supported systems). However, NTSC is listed under the supported video playback systems: "NTSC, SECAM, PAL". Does this mean that I can only watch DVDs, or will I be able to watch regular terrestrial television in the US as well?
    If so, I realize I will have to purchase a powerful step-up converter, but is there anything else I should know?
    Thanks so much.