• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Unhappy BDP5100/05 networking problems

I posted this direct to support shortly after buying the BDP5100:

I have updated the firmware for this player but its capabilities are very much less than advertised. It will not adequately find folders on my networked PC. It will not access some folders at all and when it does it doesn't display files names or photos properly; it continually locks up. Displaying photos from a USB memory stick suffers from very similar problems and it is ponderously slow and keeps locking up. There appears to be no facility for accessing Net TV or the web which the product description says is possible. Why not? I am extremely disappointed in this product's performance against its specification.
    Reply I got was:
    Do a system re-set
    • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds keep you hand on the power button and unplug the power from the mains unit and leave for 30mins
    • Take out the batteries from the remote and leave them for 10mins then re-insert
    • When you put the mains power plug back in hold the power button
    If these steps don’t work then what I would advice you to do is contact our customer support team on the number provided below for further assistant or to arrange for an engineer to have a look at your Blu/ray player.

This was of no help whatsoever. I am networking to my Laptop via ethernet cable and powerline adapters connected to BT Home Hub 2.0 router. Has anyone any advice as to what I need to do or what I am doing wrong. The manual is of little help. I note that a USB adapter WUB1110 is necessary for wireless link but signal is week, that is why I am using powerline adapters; surely that should work?

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdriveNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks
    Do you have a lot of devices similar connected at the same time to your network and are you using them?

What is your band with since this can of course influence. I have 10Mb but at the end of the day it si only 6 ( you know how the lie to you )

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Do you have a lot of devices similar connected at the same time to your network and are you using them?

What is your band with since this can of course influence. I have 10Mb but at the end of the day it si only 6 ( you know how the lie to you )
    No other devices connected apart from my laptop running Windows 7 (64bit). I have almost 13mb/s broad band access(tested by me) with a further approx 4 mb/s reserved for BT Vision. Local exchange is close and offers ADSL2+ at max 17mb/s. Surely band width is of no consequence regarding access to PC files via LAN?

There are several aspects that I cannot understand, the BDP menu doesn't even mention Net TV or internet access as an option; why not. The access to the PC's folders or folders on a USB memory doesn't seem to work properly, some sub-folders it doesn't see, file names are generic and not as they actually are and if you attempt to view photos for example it soon grinds to a halt. Its as if the BDP has only a very small cache which get exhausted and so everything stops.

Robin

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Robin,

When you say "It will not adequately find folders on my networked PC.", what exactly method you were using to access your networked PC? How deep are those missing folders? Anything special to those filenames that are not displaying properly?