• Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Post What Philips' USB recording is missing in 2013 models - Suggestions for improvement

Hi,
    just got a 55pfl7008k model and feel disappointed with all the usb-recording thing. This was an advantage over LG panels and a must if you like some TV shows aired at unusual scheduling and dislikes commercials.

Items to solve /change:

- Do habilitate time start-end scheduling based on DVB-EPG. Do not force us to use IP-EPG for this. IP-EPG is quite useless, as channels are listed in whatever order, all is server-dependent and delays and interface is fairly unusable. We want to use DVB-EPG for info and to start and end the recording when we want.

- Do you ask for a 250GB hard drive for timeshift but then you limit to 90 minutes???!!! Why?? Do keep timeshifting until disk is full or user stop it. When TV reach 91 minutes it suddenly stops and erases all. This is very, very annoying.

- Please allow to enable/disable continuous timeshifting to avoid unnecessary wear of the disk.

I formerly got a 20 Ä DVB receiver which could accomplish all these things over a usb stick using all is empty space. And even I could keep my recordings oh those handy and standard friendly .ts files. Cannot understand why cannot do the same thing with a 100x pricing device.

Regards.
    Last edited by jaglez; 06-02-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added last request

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaglez View Post
    When TV reach 91 minutes it suddenly stops and erases all. This is very, very annoying.
    Well, that was the behaviour the two first times I used it. Now, when 90 minutes "buffer" is full it begins to shift, deleting video from the the beginning of the timeline and recording live at the end.

If it happens that 90 are recorded but you did not played them, it automatically begins to play, so in every case no more than 90-91 minutes are recorded at every time.

This is a far normal behaviour, but I still ask for removing that 90 minute-limit.

Also, from time to time, when doing ffwd or rwd, actual play position resets to beginning, which is quite annoying.

By the way, does this Philips Support Forum thing serves a purpose? Because I did not receive a single answer to any of my suggestions from the manufacturer. I did spend time and effort in doing this and all I get is ... nothing?

Shall I return the set as faulty?

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaglez View Post
    Well, that was the behaviour the two first times I used it. Now, when 90 minutes "buffer" is full it begins to shift, deleting video from the the beginning of the timeline and recording live at the end.

If it happens that 90 are recorded but you did not played them, it automatically begins to play, so in every case no more than 90-91 minutes are recorded at every time.

This is a far normal behaviour, but I still ask for removing that 90 minute-limit.

Also, from time to time, when doing ffwd or rwd, actual play position resets to beginning, which is quite annoying.

By the way, does this Philips Support Forum thing serves a purpose? Because I did not receive a single answer to any of my suggestions from the manufacturer. I did spend time and effort in doing this and all I get is ... nothing?

Shall I return the set as faulty?
    Hi Jaglez,

This mainly a user to user forum. Besides that we also collect valuable information from all the feedback given by the consumers. Thank you for sharing your experience with USB-recording.

In reply to your request, I can inform you that the 90 minute timeshift limit is what most users would consider adequate for pausing live TV. I would suggest using the record function for longer recordings. You can use this function also while watching live TV by pressing the 'Record' button instead of 'Pause'.

With live recording, once the 90 minutes have been reached the beginning of the recording will be erased. The 250GB requirement for the USB HDD is not just for pausing live TV, but also to ensure there is enough space to record an good amount of HD broadcast. The recordings are made uncompressed, so will take up more space than other video files.

You are also able to record with specific start/end times through the DVB-EPG on your TV. Schedule your recording, display the scheduled recording and then choose Adjust timing to change the start and end times to suit your needs.

Best regards,
    Ina

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

the 90 minutes limit for time shift is based on the CI+ specification...

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, thank you for your answers.

I guess that if I would complain to support about this firmware they couldn't help and probably direct me to this forum. I've been also adviced on returning the set.

Not sure about the CI+ comment means. Maybe this set this limit to avoid piracy? Well, you just encrypt the recording (which by the way I find very disgusting) so no way for piracy. And, CI + is for PPV channels which I'm not interested on, so don't ruin the remaining channel portfolio with this measure.

F1 shows (f.e.) last about 4 hours summing up preshow and race. I used to timeshift it to skip commercials and so. If you limit it to 90 minutes and for whatever reason the time windows des not shift (like it happened to me the first two times) I lose everything at minute 91. I have TBís at disposal, so please use all empty space like my former DVB-T tuner did, itsí not so difficult.
    I spend 18 Ä on that tuner, but 2000 on this TV. Make it worth.

I would also to note again (because now it happens most of time),that although the time windows seems to shift now, I found another nasty bug: most of time when timeshifting if I want to skip a commercial (ffwd some seconds) cue position jumps to beginning and I have to ffwd all the way to get where it originally wasÖ very annoying.

It is not true that you can set start/end time of a scheduled recording with DBV-EPG. You can schedule the recording only based on the start/end time specified on the DVB-EPG, which is usually not accurate, ending in incomplete recordings.
    You can only set your own personal start/end time if you use IP-EPG which is like hell in earth, as formerly described.
    This is explained in the TVís manual. Please change this, itís again very, very easy.

Regards,

Jaglez.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

Abou jumps in play position:

Even with normal recording (not timeshifting) when doing a slight ffwd, play position jumps backwards several minutes, the longer the recording is, the further away this jump goes. Please, take a look at this, its a non-sense to ffwd ending in preceding position.

Regards.