• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

40PFL8605H - DLNA Related Issues To Be Solved!

Hi,
    after around 5 months testing, I've found DLNA feature (one of my preferred), very limited due to the following different issues (ordered by severity):

1. Limited, very limited codec support! Specifically not in terms of number of codecs but for profile settings forced to specific values [LIMIT].
    2. In case of multiple audio track containers only the first is usable. Audio tracks switching is not allowed [UNACCEPTABLE LIMIT].
    3. "File can not be read or found" message when AAC tracks are included in a multitrack container or, more generically, sometimes in case of multitrack container. Perhaps, may be solved with point 2 [BUG].
    4. Subtitles if included in the container are not considered, thus subtitles switching is not allowed [UNACCEPTABLE LIMIT].
    5. Directory browsing limited to around 100 files. If browsing long directories, unexplainably browsing will stop after around 90-100 files [UNACCEPTABLE LIMIT].
    6. File names are truncated. I don't understand why considering the scrolling [LIMIT].
    7. Cover art, if included, are not managed [LIMIT].
    8. Resume playback not allowed. I understand that there is not an hard disk but saving at least the latest event would be enough for the flash. [LIMIT]

Also, there are two issues related to DLNA that are related to Twonky Server usage and, may be a Twonky problem:
    a. Current DLNA functionalities such as Fast Forward or Rewind are unusable with Twonky
    b. Photos are not full screen but thumbnails with Twonky

Silver Member
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    That is a nice overview of limitations on DLNA. Thank you. The limited DLNA functionality of these TV's is indeed disappointing. Did you beside Twonky also try TVersity?

Silver Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alavela View Post
    Also, there are two issues related to DLNA that are related to Twonky Server usage and, may be a Twonky problem:
    a. Current DLNA functionalities such as Fast Forward or Rewind are unusable with Twonky
    Philips is not responsible for the malfunction of Twonky, Tversity, or any other media server other than Windows.

Any problems with Twonky, Tversity, etc., If it works well with Windows media server, the problem will be the responsibility of the manufacturer of the corresponding media server.

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Fast forward and fast backward works on my side with DLNA and Fritzbox 7390 MediaServer. But fast forward fast backward is slow, when you want to got 15mins, 30mins, 1hour forward/backward. Another speed to go forward/backward in 5min/10min steps would be great. Or functionality to jump to a specific position in the file.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @Jessy: I haven't tried with TVersity as I am interested in Twonky in order to use it in a QNAP NAS. Anyway I tried with Windows Media Player 12 included in Windows 7 and, as far as I have seen, it works.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    It would be very nice to have a feedback from Philips for each of issues described above...Some of them are simple bugs that may be fixed very quickly. Philips can you help me?

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

are Twonky or TVersity fully DNLA compliant? Philips TVs are DNLA 1.5 compliant. Please do not mix up DNLA and UPnP...

Toengel@Alex

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @Toengel: I'm not mixing anything...As stated in my first post, I'm aware that these two issues are related to Twonky:

What I am asking Philips is to produce some feedbacks about the following issues:

1. Limited, very limited codec support! Specifically not in terms of number of codecs but for profile settings forced to specific values [LIMIT].
    2. In case of multiple audio track containers only the first is usable. Audio tracks switching is not allowed [UNACCEPTABLE LIMIT].
    3. "File can not be read or found" message when AAC tracks are included in a multitrack container or, more generically, sometimes in case of multitrack container. Perhaps, may be solved with point 2 [BUG].
    4. Subtitles if included in the container are not considered, thus subtitles switching is not allowed [UNACCEPTABLE LIMIT].
    5. Directory browsing limited to around 100 files. If browsing long directories, unexplainably browsing will stop after around 90-100 files [UNACCEPTABLE LIMIT].
    6. File names are truncated. I don't understand why considering the scrolling [LIMIT].
    7. Cover art, if included, are not managed [LIMIT].
    8. Resume playback not allowed. I understand that there is not an hard disk but saving at least the latest event would be enough for the flash. [LIMIT]

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

I agree that some things aren't customer friendly. I also would like to have subtitle support. More important would be a much better feedback by the TV if something does not work. A good feedback message would be much more usability friendly...

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    I do not have a Philips TV with a built-in media player, but I do have a Philips Blu-Ray player with a built-in media player and I do believe they use the same software.

After much trial and error I have concluded that Twonky server 6.0.32 is as good a match with Philips as a USB HDD connected directly to the Philips. 4.x and 5.x versions of Twonky (which usually are what NAS units come with if they feature Twonky) have more problems with Philips.

Download the 30 day trial version of the latest Twonky Server and do some tests from a PC and I think you will find that many of your problems will go away. At least 1, 2, 4 and 6 are problems I have not noticed.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    At least 1, 2, 4 and 6 are problems I have not noticed.
    Thanks, Andreas! I'm looking forward to test Twonky 6.0.32...but I'm quite sure it'll just solve a and b issues.
    Since Twonky 6.0.32 is not yet available as a QPKG for QNAP, I'm currently using WMP12 on Windows 7 as a DLNA server and, for sure, while a and b are not a problem, all of the issues 1-8 are present, as they're related to Philips firmware design.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomsp View Post
    Philips is not responsible for the malfunction of Twonky, Tversity, or any other media server other than Windows.

Any problems with Twonky, Tversity, etc., If it works well with Windows media server, the problem will be the responsibility of the manufacturer of the corresponding media server.
    It may well be what any given manufacturer wants you to believe, but never the less it is not true.

What is true is that in order to receive DLNA 1.5 certification it is enought only to be able to serve/receive one of the long list of media types that DLNA certifies. E.g. [I merely beeing able to receive a low res. jpg earns the same DLNA 1.5 certification as a product that can serve/receive all media types at all resolutions[/I] with all features that DLNA work with.

According to your logic; how would you explain this:
    Twonky 4.4.14 has no limitations at all serving .avi to a Netgear EVA 2000. There are no freezes, play, pause, stop work as do ff/rw up to the units max speed and time search.
    Twonky 4.4.14 on a Philips BDP can play .avi but with intermittent freezes, pause must be pressed within the first minutes of play, otherwise the unit will no longer respond to any other command that Power, ff/rw may work up to 4x, time search does not work at all.
    Twonky 4.4.14 is much old than my BPD8000 but still able to correctly serve .avi to every media player I have tried but not to a Philips. Logic would dictate that since Twonky is older than Philips the problem is Philips's poor support for Twonky rather than Twonky's ability to serve most products but a Philips correctly. You claim the opposite, which makes me wonder how you can arrive to such a conclusion.

With Twonky 6.0.32 things work as well with a Philips as they do when played off of an USB HDD. They have therefore spent resources adjusting to Philips's poor implementation. The problem is that the most current version is probably years away from finding its way onto most NAS units. TVersity is also recommended alongside Twonky and WMP11, but that does not work as well with Philips as twonky. That is why we would like to see Philips improve their DLNA implementation for .avi and .mkv.

So no, if anybody else but Philips is to blame, it is DLNA as they allow for just about any product to pass their certification process even though the product may have very poor DLNA capabilities. Even though Philips has DLNA certified products, their implementation leaves much to be desired, something you will find if you read about the problems people on this board are experiencing.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Philips can not be responsible for all brands of Media Server to function properly. Otherwise, it would be impossible.

Windows Media Server (WMP 12) is DLNA 1.5 certified (DMP y DMR), and Philips TV is DLNA 1.5 certified (only DMP). If Philips TV works fine with Windows Media Server, and wrong with Twonky (or some other brand of Media Server) the problem will be in Twonky. No?. Why not?.

The weaknesses of Philips TV DLNA are that is not a DMR certified and, therefore, is not a W7 certified, and that does not natively support, more and better, some profiles of codecs. However, Not a problem Philips TV that ALL brands work properly. Have you tried Philips TV with W7?.
    Last edited by Jomsp; 05-03-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Unhappy Found a new DLNA bug

Unbeliveable to say, thanks to my new Sonos environment at home, I discovered a new, very irritating limit in DLNA module of my 40PFL8605H: The maximum number of UPnP devices connected to Home Network!
    Unfortunately, the Sonos ZP120 are also UPnP media servers and I have 5 of them connected to home network. Since the first installation, I am unable to access other media servers (Twonky or WMP12), as the 40PFL8605H is stucked and, in certain situations, reports the following error:

The maximum number of memory devices has been exceeded.

The only way to make it works is to turn off the TV, disconnect all of Sonos devices (thus maintaining only Twonky or WMP12 servers connected) and power on again the TV: UNACCEPTABLE!

Philips, when are you going to give me, at least, a written response to my posts? When, above all, are you going to fix these very stupid bugs that strongly limit our user experience?
    Thanks for your collaboration

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear alavela,

Please check your personal messages.

Regards,
    Forum Mod

Tags for this Topic