Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Post Installing channels on 55PFL7008k - Suggestions for improvement

Hi,
    just got a 55pfl7008k model and found some weird things with this DVB channel installation and would like to suggest some changes:

- Do provide a signal strength selection. When using a shared DVB connection too few channels are found.
    - Do allow deleting channels from main list. I got about 40 test channels in my area and don't want to keep them. It's very hard to order +100 channels if you do not allow me to choose which I want to keep. I don't want to use the favourites list for this.
    - Do keep radio stations only in its own list

Regards.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaglez View Post
    Hi,
    just got a 55pfl7008k model and found some weird things with this DVB channel installation and would like to suggest some changes:

- Do provide a signal strength selection. When using a shared DVB connection too few channels are found.
    - Do allow deleting channels from main list. I got about 40 test channels in my area and don't want to keep them. It's very hard to order +100 channels if you do not allow me to choose which I want to keep. I don't want to use the favourites list for this.
    - Do keep radio stations only in its own list

Regards.
    Hi Jaglez,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am unsure what you mean by "signal strength selection". Could you elaborate, please? What kind of antenna setup do you use and how is it shared?

The option of deleting channels is not a feature that is available anymore. This is due to Philips complying with a request from the channels providers to remove this feature.

Best regards,
    Ina

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Ina,

Thank you for your answer.

I mean having an option to select the threshold used to decide wether a channel has enough signal strength to be tunned or not.
    This is like the local/distant selector in radio tunners.

I use a common splitter to divide my DVB-T signal to feed this TV and my HTPC's DVB tuner. The first time I tried to install channels on the TV very few showed up. Then I disconnected the splitter and installed again, showing then many more channels. Then I splitted the signal again and noticed no quality loss at all. This is how I worked out that the TV's threshold is set too high.

About the channel deletion option, do you mean there's a mandatory obligation in the EU to do this? Could you refer/link me to it?
    Because I see it as a non-sense, it's up to the final user to decide what to see or not. In my area we have about 20% test channels, 20% telecommercials channels, 10 % local channels and for the remaning 50% I'm only interested on about 10%
    Why should I then invest any of my time in keeping / reorganizing alll this stuff in my TV? Again, a non-sense.

Regards.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaglez View Post
    Hi Ina,

I mean having an option to select the threshold used to decide wether a channel has enough signal strength to be tunned or not.
    This is like the local/distant selector in radio tunners.

I use a common splitter to divide my DVB-T signal to feed this TV and my HTPC's DVB tuner. The first time I tried to install channels on the TV very few showed up. Then I disconnected the splitter and installed again, showing then many more channels. Then I splitted the signal again and noticed no quality loss at all. This is how I worked out that the TV's threshold is set too high.

About the channel deletion option, do you mean there's a mandatory obligation in the EU to do this? Could you refer/link me to it?
    Because I see it as a non-sense, it's up to the final user to decide what to see or not. In my area we have about 20% test channels, 20% telecommercials channels, 10 % local channels and for the remaning 50% I'm only interested on about 10%
    Why should I then invest any of my time in keeping / reorganizing alll this stuff in my TV? Again, a non-sense.

Regards.
    Hi Jaglez,

Thank you very much for elaborating.

The TV is designed to be used with a single aerial connection. Splitting the signal lessens the signal. I have taken on your feedback however and appreciate you sharing your experience on the forum.

There is no mandatory obligation to comply with the providers request on the option on deleting channels. It is a requirement from the providers for the TVs to obtain certification for their services.
    In this case I would suggest you create a favourites list for the channels you are interested in viewing.

Best regards,
    Ina

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Ina,

Indeed, the ratio of TV sets per gome is about 2 in the EU, so your moving in a unreal scenario.
    Also cannot agree with the politics of yielding to providers in order to get certifications that are rarely used. Customers are the ones paying for the set, but oddly you're still looking in the opposed direction. This is very sad.

I would also like to suggest a function to measure the input channel strengh from the antenna. Maybe my clumsiness keeps me from finding it,because it's a very basic tool to assess the best instalation possible. I got this even from a 10 € DVB-T receiver.

Best regards.