Bronze Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

No 4:3 screen aspect ratio ?

Yes, you probably all know this but how bothered are you?

The last Philips TV's to have 4:3 aspect ration support was 2009.

I had an online chat with a Philips representative who said that "4:3 ratio is obsolete and not used", also that "Philips no longer support 4:3 ratio" on TV's.

All tv drama's from the 70's to 90's were filmed in 4:3 and still available to buy. If you own a Philips tv from 2010 you can not watch these programmes in the intended aspect ratio without the tv doing some irritating automated picture adjustment.

One wonders if Philips will abandon the now common 16:9 ratio when 21:9 takes over ?

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonMan View Post
    Yes, you probably all know this but how bothered are you?

The last Philips TV's to have 4:3 aspect ration support was 2009.

I had an online chat with a Philips representative who said that "4:3 ratio is obsolete and not used", also that "Philips no longer support 4:3 ratio" on TV's.

All tv drama's from the 70's to 90's were filmed in 4:3 and still available to buy. If you own a Philips tv from 2010 you can not watch these programmes in the intended aspect ratio without the tv doing some irritating automated picture adjustment.

One wonders if Philips will abandon the now common 16:9 ratio when 21:9 takes over ?
    Hello MoonMan,

Thank you for your comment.

The reason for your TV no longer having the picture format option of 4:3 is in fact due to the format being obsolete and no longer widely used. We are always keeping up with the current and future technology and do try to make our TVs backwards compatible when neccessary.

I can understand in your case, that you enjoy the TV dramas from the 70s-90s, which is great! However, watching older videos on modern equipment does present the compatibility issue.

Have you tried the different picture formats available on your TV?
    I would suggest AutoZoom or Unscaled in this case.

Best regards,
    Ina

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 756
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience Points25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

i had a 2010 TV (xxPFLxxx5) and was always able to watch 4:3 broadcasts in correct aspect ratio.

Do you use the internal tuner? If yes, just switch to "Auto Zoom".

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Toengel, I think you are lucky to have a 2010 Philips tv that supports 4:3 ratio. That was probably the last run of their TV's to do so. As the Philips employee Ina openly admits, Philips consider the 4:3 ratio obsolete even though thousands of DVD's still use it and plenty of digital channels still transmit material in 4:3 - well certainly in the UK anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post

Yes, as I have said in original post, these formats alter the picture in an undesirable way. With any of the auto adjustments the screen becomes too large, causing pixilation and losing top and bottom part of picture. With unscaled the picture becomes very small taking up around 20% of the screen as it works the pixels on a 1 to 1 ratio.

However, watching older videos on modern equipment does present the compatibility issue.
    Can you explain exactly what you mean by 'compatibility issue' ?

There are many tv manufacturers that still support and I am sure will continue to natively support the 4:3 screen ratio. Does this not worry you? How much trouble would it be to bring the 4:3 ratio back? I doubt you would receive any complaints if you did so.

Also, the 21:9 ratio is becoming more used, do Philips plan to abandon the now firmly established 16:9 ratio as obsolete when the new 21:9 ratio becomes more common? I really would like an answer to this question as I would like to know that when I buy a tv, it is compatible with all current material as well as future material.

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi MoonMan,

The reason the picture will appear pixelated or smaller is down to the resolution and quality of the source material. If the source material is in a lower resolution than the screen, there is little the TV can do to show the quality intended, regardless of support offered.

This is also what I mean by compatibility issue. Older shows are not compatible with the resolution and size of modern TVs due to improved resolution.

We have no plans to abandon the 16:9 format in favour of the 21:9 format.

Best regards,
    Ina

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    If the source material is in a lower resolution than the screen, there is little the TV can do to show the quality intended, regardless of support offered.
    Ina
    There is something the TV can do to improve on the quality intended, it can LEAVE 4:3 material in 4:3 aspect ratio rather than making the image bigger(pixilation gets worse) as it does with the AUTO fill picture formats

As for the compatibility issue, it is kinda obvious what you are saying that 16:9 widescreen TV's do not natively support 4:3 ratio due to the obvious differences in aspect dimensions and of course 576 lines in SD vs 1080 lines in HD. However as you know, Philips used to support 4:3 ratio on their HD widescreen TV's but decided to stop in 2010 (still say you have gained nothing by doing this). Pre-2010 Philips admirably dealt with the compatibility issue by leaving black bars on left and right hand side of screen - This would allow 4:3 material to be viewed in correct aspect ratio with the best quality that a modern 16:9 tv can possibly do. As I have said, most other tv manufacturers still accommodate this. It is such a shame Philips don't anymore

I hope I am making myself clear, just in case, the first picture on this websites illustrates it nicely:

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/as...idescreen.html

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hello MoonMan,

Thank you for your comment.

The reason for your TV no longer having the picture format option of 4:3 is in fact due to the format being obsolete and no longer widely used. We are always keeping up with the current and future technology and do try to make our TVs backwards compatible when neccessary.

I can understand in your case, that you enjoy the TV dramas from the 70s-90s, which is great! However, watching older videos on modern equipment does present the compatibility issue.

Best regards,
    Ina
    This is the kind of thing that is losing Philips customers. EVERY other brand has the option for 4:3. Even some of your own lower end TVs do!!

It's not difficult to make a set that can display a 4:3 image with the correct ratio, and nonsensical to make one that doesn't.

I'm a Philips fan and have many great products by Philips. However, your comments above that it's "due to the format being obsolete and no longer widely used" puts me right off your company.

Please, rethink! You were leaders of the CRT technology, you can do it again!

Silver Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    few years ago made research which shows there are still a lot of broadcasters who provide in 4:3 aspectratio
    http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/bo...threadID=12731

personally me prefere `Unscaled` for HD content and `AotoZoom` for SD,
    but sometime broadcaster has been streched 4:3 source to 16:9 and there isn't option to squeeze it back manually

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I saw a new Philips 2013 tv today, the 42PFL5008 and it did have 4:3 ratio, so well done to Philips for paying attention to us consumers. Please maintain the 4:3 ration.

thanks