Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Fidelio A1: yes or no?

Hello,
    I'm thinking of buying a streaming device in price range of 50-150 euro. Sonos and logitech squeezebox appear too expensive to me. I've also read about the Fidelio A1. The features look very nice, but it's difficult to find positive feed back from users..... Problems with setting up/connectivity, time delay etc....
    Can anyone convince me that the Fidelio A1 (AW1000) actually is a good device which I should definitely buy?
    Thanks in advance

Silver Member
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

I cannot say anything about the AW1000, I only have a AW3000, but I would advice you to find somewhere to try it out. With the 3K I find that the sound quality is as good as I could wish for, but as you will see if you browse this forum, the app to control the devices is a history of it's own and it's the only reason these devices get bad reviews and very low scores when i browse different online stores. If you use the device very actively you may find the app to be in the way of your music, on the other hand if you just press play on a playlist and let the device be, this may not be an issue for you. But again I would recommend you to try it out before buying - or at least ensure you have the option to turn it back.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thank you lemvigh, for your helpful response. I will definitely take the opportunity to test the device in a shop nearby. Looking forward to more comments on the Fidelio A1 (AW1000).

Silver Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I agree with lemvigh. The quality of the music is good if not very good. The control and, in some cases, the playback seem not to be on par yet. I must say that Philips is activily trying to get it right and the apps and firmware have improved significantly in the past months. Their responce on this forum has been good.

If you get the chance, test it thouroughly. Test the app on your phone/tablet and test your prevered sources (internet radio spotify, local music etc.)

Good luck,
    Marc

Silver Member
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I also agree with above comments. I own a AW1000 and a AW2000 although I am only using the AW2000. The software (the firmware and the app) has definitely improved. More stable, easier to connect to the Wifi, correction of bugs or design flaws. The app is improving and I think that the critical issues have been corrected. There are still some issues and the look and feel could still be dramatically improved (my view) but it is definitely usable and I could not survive without my AW2000 and Deezer.

There are indeed many negative comments about the AW range on many sites including the Philips ones (online shop, etc). Many relates to previous sofware releases (hardly any comments about the hardware) and some also relate to a lack of understanding (and in my view the app does not help).
    Last edited by k1200rs; 06-06-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanx everyone for the useful comments. Now i can report I did purchase the Fidelio A1 (AW1000) and I'm happy with it. The Setup was rather straightforward using my mobile phone (Galaxy S4). As recommended I followed the procedures to check for firmware updates, and indeed there was one available which I installed succesfully (during entire process, a message was displayed that the connectipn with the device was lost, although the installation procedure just continued succesfully (.....). Then, I was able to play music from my Phone, and/or the internet radio stations without significant issues. I have not yet setup an account for deezer or any other payed services, but I assume that will work properly as well.
    Everything A Ok then? Well basically yes. But, there's always room for improvement ( in line with Philips previous sloguns : " let's make things better :-)
    Indeed the communication with the device is delayed. noteworthy: I experience more delay in response to commandos with my phone than with my iPad (....?) and overall, the iPad app looks more fancy/professional than the app for android phones....
    Also: when setting up a play list, one can select a track from one artist for example, but when you return to the main list, always you are automatically redirected to the top of the list (alphabetically ordered, so section Of A): a minor issue, yet annoying in my view.....
    Another minor thing: it would be convenient if the volume adjustment would be more fluently,that is: with smaller steps. Now, the volume difference between two adjecent presets is too big...
    Perhaps related to the volume adjustment, I miss an option for treble/bass adjustment or equalizer. Present in almost all apps for playing music, yet not available in the app...
    When playing songs from a playlist composed of tracks from multiple artists, I noticed the " dead time" in between 2 tracks is rather long (up to 10-20seconds) while this is not the case when I play all tracks from one album of one artist.....
    Still, overall I'm pretty satisfied with this device (despite the list of potential improvements). I would definitely recommend others to buy one. And I hope the development team will continue their efforts to improve the product range. Perhaps my comments could be useful after all...
    Erik

Silver Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Please forget about my answer above. The system has a number of issues that are still not resolved. I would recommend a device from a company with a proven track record.
    Last edited by mmk; 07-15-2013 at 09:28 PM.