Bronze Member
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

HTS 8100 issue

Seems like "capacitor plague" has been a problem for Philips (and many hardware manufacturers). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

This seems to be an issue for the HTS8100, which I have, and which the Philips Service Center can't seem to fix. It is becoming a DIY project for me and I would like to keep the board updated, but the Moderators have shut down BOTH threads where we were discussing the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mladen View Post
    closer capture: Attachment 2100

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Here is a question for the members here... I have some experience with soldering and even testing components, but do not know much about building consumer products.

As I am trying to fix my HTS8100, and don't have quick access to individual components/parts (eBay), does anyone know if circuit boards in consumer electronics are readily available from suppliers like Texas Instruments? For instance, if the circuit board for the power supply in my HTS8100 has failed, is this a commodity product that I can find on eBay or from TI or is it made specially for the HTS8100?

I could easily replace the board if I can source it, but replacing an individual capacitor is a bit tougher EVEN if I find one that is burst/failed.

Thanks for any insight!

Silver Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks
    If you work in a electronic repairshop as I once did , we could order any part, circuit or button on frontpanel from any brand. That was 15 years ago and its got more and more rare to get over the parts to ex a samsung tv beacuse the big companies dont do spare parts, ( only limited amount) they do new models instead. Its much cheaper to ship out instead of repair and replace, even within warrenty. ( my own thoughts) and the customer gets happy, So i guess its a win win strategy. Now I believe the small electronic repairshops is more or less gone and the brands set upp their central repair in more or less every country. And if they say the circuit is out, its not available. So I dont know any longer how it is about spare parts. But It would be great to come over just a powersupply board even if its pre-used. only it works :-)

I think I would have checked the specific powerlines and then built a new powersupply in a break-out box. (sometimes they have integrated the powerboard with standby and other strange behaviors, and then it can get tricky) But perhaps it aint worth the job. Anyhow I do have made some better powersupplys for my DIY Hifi and it does sound a little better :-)

( I have to believe that otherwise it wouldnt pay up for the costs and the working our, but dont put me in a blind-test ) :-)
    Last edited by Stormen; 08-02-2013 at 01:23 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stormen For This Useful Post:

fduvall (08-02-2013)

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Tack sŚ mycket, Stormen! I will play around a bit more, myself, and if no success than I will try to take it to a local repair shop and see what they can do. I have found a few websites that have the PCBAs listed, but out of stock. Maybe I will get lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormen View Post
    If you work in a electronic repairshop as I once did , we could order any part, circuit or button on frontpanel from any brand. That was 15 years ago and its got more and more rare to get over the parts to ex a samsung tv beacuse the big companies dont do spare parts, ( only limited amount) they do new models instead. Its much cheaper to ship out instead of repair and replace, even within warrenty. ( my own thoughts) and the customer gets happy, So i guess its a win win strategy. Now I believe the small electronic repairshops is more or less gone and the brands set upp their central repair in more or less every country. And if they say the circuit is out, its not available. So I dont know any longer how it is about spare parts. But It would be great to come over just a powersupply board even if its pre-used. only it works :-)

I think I would have checked the specific powerlines and then built a new powersupply in a break-out box. (sometimes they have integrated the powerboard with standby and other strange behaviors, and then it can get tricky) But perhaps it aint worth the job. Anyhow I do have made some better powersupplys for my DIY Hifi and it does sound a little better :-)

( I have to believe that otherwise it wouldnt pay up for the costs and the working our, but dont put me in a blind-test ) :-)