• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Unhappy Recorded programs external hdd GONE

I had recorded and played tv-programs on a external HDD with my Philips 42PDL7906 TV for more than a year now with no problems wse..
    Now all of sudden the index of recorded programs is gone. And I have several dozens of films and programs on my HDD.
    All othe things works fine: I can pause TV-programs and play the back with my external hdd, the page with the content of the disc is loaded, the amount of free disc space is shown at the top, also the amount of recorded programs.
    But the programs itself remain invisible.
    Can anybody please help??!!

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,111
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

- shut down TV
    - remove HDD
    - start TV
    - start IP-EPG
    - shut down TV
    - replug HDD
    - start TV
    - start IP-EPG

Toengel@Alex

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toengel View Post
    Hi,

- shut down TV
    - remove HDD
    - start TV
    - start IP-EPG
    - shut down TV
    - replug HDD
    - start TV
    - start IP-EPG

Toengel@Alex
    Thank you for the respons but unfortunately this didn't work for me. The only thing that changed was: At the page of the hard drive I could see my recorded programms in een pop-up window now, when I select: 'Delete programs'. But I can only delete the recordings one by one. The page itself is still empty so I cannot play them.
    I'v already re-installed the TV so everything was reset, but still same result as far as my recorded programs is concerned. This is a small desaster, because my Hard drive is loaded with movies and other tv programs.
    Any other solution?
    I have de Philips 42PDL7906

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjud@zonnet.nl View Post
    Thank you for the respons but unfortunately this didn't work for me. The only thing that changed was: At the page of the hard drive I could see my recorded programms in een pop-up window now, when I select: 'Delete programs'. But I can only delete the recordings one by one. The page itself is still empty so I cannot play them.
    I'v already re-installed the TV so everything was reset, but still same result as far as my recorded programs is concerned. This is a small desaster, because my Hard drive is loaded with movies and other tv programs.
    Any other solution?
    I have de Philips 42PDL7906

Hi Peterjud,

Unfortunately, due to the encryption of the HDD, it isn't possible to troubleshoot the issue without losing the data on the HDD.

The normal troubleshooting steps are to either try and connect another HDD or to reformat the HDD and see if that is working. But this will of course erase the data in both cases.

However, are you still able to record scheduled programs? If yes, are they also "invisible" afterwards?

Also, please ensure you have the newest software version installed on the TV.

Best regards,
    Ina

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    Hi Peterjud,

Unfortunately, due to the encryption of the HDD, it isn't possible to troubleshoot the issue without losing the data on the HDD.

The normal troubleshooting steps are to either try and connect another HDD or to reformat the HDD and see if that is working. But this will of course erase the data in both cases.

However, are you still able to record scheduled programs? If yes, are they also "invisible" afterwards?

Also, please ensure you have the newest software version installed on the TV.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Yes, indeed I am able to record scheduled programms. And they are also invisible afterwards, except in the 'to-be-erase- window.
    I am also still able to pause and rewind actual tv-programms and play them back with this same hard drive. And I have the latest software installed. So I really don't think that another harddisc will restore the feature.
    Last edited by peterjud@zonnet.nl; 07-04-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjud@zonnet.nl View Post
    Yes, indeed I am able to record scheduled programms. And they are also invisible afterwards, except in the 'to-be-erase- window.
    I am also still able to pause and rewind actual tv-programms and play them back with this same hard drive. And I have the latest software installed. So I really don't think that another harddisc will restore the feature.

Hi Peterjud,

Unfortuantely there is no way for you to recover your recordings from the HDD.

As mentioned before, there is also no way to commence troubleshooting the issue without the high possibility of erasing the content of the HDD.

However, if you do wish to troubleshoot the issue, then I would advise the following:

1) Reset the TVs factory settings, clear internet history and reinstall the TV.

- Once you reconnect to the network and connect your HDD, there might be the smallest chance of recovering the content of the HDD, if you select "No" to the "Do you wish to format the harddisk now?" question. However, this would not be expected to work, as the TV might not pick up the previous format.

2) Format the HDD and reconnect to the TV as a "new" HDD.

- This will of course erase all content.

3) Test with a different HDD.

Best regards,
    Ina

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Is this a joke? "Unfortuantely there is no way for you to recover your recordings from the HDD.

As mentioned before, there is also no way to commence troubleshooting the issue without the high possibility of erasing the content of the HDD."

You are saying that you have absolutely no answer to the problem caused by your defective hardware/software? The only solution is to go out and buy a new HDD to see if that will work? WE ALL KNOW THAT THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE HDD it is your pathetically useless EPG/Software/Hardware that is at fault. I feel real sympathy for Peterjud, clearly he was not aware how utterly contemptuous of their customers Philips are and has gone ahead and recorded loads of films etc. not realising that the expensive Smart TV he bought would all of a sudden fail with the only answer from the manufacturer being 'Go out and spend more money on a new HDD - That might work, sorry'

This has just happened to me - for no reason my recordings are invisible. As I have had such a shockingly poor experience of the EPG/Recording with my Philips Smart TV I have elected not to rely on the 'recording' function as I fully expected it to fail at some point. Now we are told there is no answer other than to try our luck with refromatting or buy a new HDD.
    What happens if I buy a new HDD and it doesn't work? Will you refund the cost of that Philips? I suspect not.
    Here's an idea, why not try selling customers products that actually work as advertised. Why not try testing your software before releasing it. Why not try giving decent answers and support to customers when the products they have bought from you at great expense fail?
    I am astonished at the contempt you hold your customers in. Before purchasing this TV I was under the impression that Philips was a good company. Now I have discovered that you are a bunch of conmen taking money for products that don't work. I am utterly disgusted.
    Please do not ignore my post, I want an answer as to why this problem has occurred and what you are going to do to fix it. It is your responsibility Philips - answer me - WHY HAS THIS HAPPENED AND HOW WILL YOU FIX IT?

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Guys,

Your feedback has been forwarded to development, and they will look into the matter (note: this does not automatically mean that it will/can be solved...). Please keep your HDDs as is for the time being.

If there is progress, we will let you know.

Regards,
    JuAn
    Forum Mod

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    This is not a problem of just this user but rather a problem that has just recently occurred, I have seen the same exact symptoms as described and also see none of my programs recorded over 2 years listed but when I want to delete they obviously there but appear in the delete window only. They cannot be selected nor played back. The cursor moves and highlights the " invisible recordings". I know the recordings only work with server connection and am pretty sure this is yet another server related issue as often there are many problems with the TV and the server not working or unavailable. I believe a fix is required at Philips end and not a new HDD or a reset of the TV. Poor quality for such an expensive TV. Have the 21:9 screen format Like a serious answer please. This is really unacceptable, the software quality in general is poor sometimes the TV guide or recording screen does not appear till you switch the TV on and off with hard switch, but now also loosing access to all recordings is a new height in the long saga of poor SW performance on Philips smart TVs. Although Philips now only has a small % stake in the JV when they got out of TVs, the support and customer satisfaction should still be top of mind if Philips wants to retain its customers for its other CL products. Can we get a sensible answer to this recording issue? I bet there are many customers with this issue just not using this forum.
    Last edited by David A Russell; 07-20-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Spelling, added some comments