Portal update (to 2.6).
Did you try and test the changes in the App Gallery?
Looking forward to read your remarks.
(Did you notice the changes on the "open internet" page too?).
It works nice! This is a big improvement.
If you now do a "clear Net TV memory" and loose all settings you can fast add the Apps back to your Net TV homepage.
The loading of the preview is a bid slow, but you do not have to wait for that, just press add.
The change on the open internet pages was needed too.
Now your favorite URL's are remembered if you mark them. Good!
How many favorites can we store?
Last edited by Corneel; 04-04-2011 at 12:04 PM.
The good ones:
- good update compared to portal 2.5 => usability is improved
- translation errors (German ones) are fixed
The not-so-good ones:
- PIP video aspect ratio: fixed partly
=> 4:3 broadcasts are stretched to 16:9 - so, wrong aspect ratio
- OpenInternet: the (X) in the top left corner (to delete last visited website) is not clear (from a usability point of view)
- OpenInternet: if no website is marked as favorite a nice tool tip can be seen (that one can mark a website as favorite): however, the German translation does not fit in that box => does not look good
- OpenInternet: the tool tip mentioned above does not state where to find the option to mark a website as favorite (in my German translation) => the tool tip should state that one could mark a website as favorite by pressing the option key on the remote
The bad ones:
- Switching between Net TV Home and OpenInternet or App store interrupts PIP-sound:
However, in IP-EPG switching from channel overview to a special broadcast information site the PIP sound does not interrupt...
Great job Phil, thanks!!
I really like the changes which all are improvements.
Some other suggestions:
- when adding favorites, currently new favorites are placed BEFORE existing ones whereas it feels more natural to place them AFTER existing ones.
- make favorites drag & droppable just like NetTV apps
- remember the zoom percentage (at least for sites which have been marked as favorite)
- in the online keyboard when keeping a navigation key pressed (up, down, left or right), keep the key selector moving after a short delay. This will speed up selecting characters.
- even more faster will be a keyboard which looks like an keyboard on a telephone for SMS messages (this keyboard could just be an additional one to the four existing ones: uppercase, lowercase ... )
Last edited by daL; 04-05-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Reason: A few suggestions added
the following issue is also present with portal 2.6: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...sage-of-Net-TV
the improvements are good, they are really helpful and will make NetTV more user friendly.
I like the dropdown list to choose previously visited sites.
I could find out the following bugs:
- German text with the tip to add favorites does not fit into the box
- Dailymotion does not work since today, worked before, but unsure if the update is the root cause
- When selecting an app in the app gallery, it might be nice to start the app without adding it. Just a menu item to load it directly.
Greets and thanks for the update!
Curious, Dailymotion doesn't work here, for months.
It starts a yellow progression bar, gets to the end and... nothing.
Black screen with yellow bar.
I've tested now with the new 2.6 portal and it's the same.
It may not be related with the NetTV portal, but still... why doesn't Dailymotion work?
Some months ago I could enter Dailymotion but inside the navigation locked up, it was unuseable.
Seems to be a little bit faster than the past.
Dailymotion since December still doesn't work. Why Philips has declared it as "fixed" is still unknown.
Originally Posted by smart
yeah - A "TRY" button would be great!
Yes, this is what I mean. Currently I add apps, but remove them later on, because I don't use them regularly.
Originally Posted by Toengel
good impovement at all. This is one step ahead with NetTV.
What I miss at open internet: Arrow keys on the left an right hand side of the previous visited pages in order to scroll trough the priviously visited pages. The actual implementation only shows the 4 latest ones and I have to remove the first entry in order to see the 5th but this means the first is gone.
As an idea for the next "improvements": http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ull=1#post3679
Portal crashes after playing arround in open internet and App Gallery.
A "p4c" App will be cool. In my case this means the content of http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...sumer_goto-p4c but optimized for NetTV. I think this will in general be interesting for a kind of improved "User manual".
Last edited by bta; 04-05-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Reason: add the updates
With my 8404 I don't see any improvements. May be, its faster. May be, changes in Apps gallery are only releated to PiP, that isn't implemented in 2009 devices.
The only change I see is in design of open internet. There are now 8 places for favourites.
But for that 8 URLs I did remember in history of called pages were left. Only the newest 4 did remain.
Before I did use the history like a favourite list. And the 12 places where an improvement over the 8 in NetTV 1.0. Now only the last 4 called URLs stay visible in history pages. If I press "back" in the input line I get an other history, may be, there are now more places but the old one (bevore 2.6) are lost.
Indeed, favourites are more intuitive then places in history and prevent from overite by new URLs. But only 8 places are too less.
And helpfull would be, if I could edit URLs from history before calling the Page. Usefull for correcting misspelled URLs.
Ok, Now I did find out the new behaviour in adding Apps from gallery. Yes, this is indeed much more intuitive then before.
My wishes in improving navigating in App gallery would be
* hide known but unwanted Apps (like channels in channel list)
* better jumping from page to page: if I choose a jumping point on the left this point (page number) isn't remembered to start from if I like to jump to next page, alternative page jumping by p+/p- key
* alternativ order (alphabetic, newes added first, ...)
For would be more important
but great would be
Last edited by ahasver; 04-06-2011 at 01:47 AM.
I found one more bug, to resconstruct, follow these steps:
1. Open the App Gallery
2. Select an app category, like Video or Entertainment
3. Only apps of this category are shown, select one app and add it without moving it
Then, afterwards, you see the app gallery, which shows a list of all the apps. The selected category is still the one you have selected in step 2. This is a kind of inconsistent behaviour. If you only want to see the apps of the category you selected in step 2, you have to select another category and then go back to this category.
I would expect, that only apps of the selected category are shown. If all apps are shown, category should be all.
Hope I could make it clear.
Last edited by smart; 04-06-2011 at 06:04 AM.