• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Philips BDP8000/78 playback freezing.

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I came here in the hope that I could get some support from a Philips moderator or an experimented member, due to the following issue:

I have a Philips BDP8000/78 Blu-Ray player since early March. A firmware update to version 1.53 was applied as soon as I got it working.

The player has occasionally frozen playback at random when playing DVDs, or alternatively by pressing pause and a few moments later resuming player and then freezing playback.

Last night the player paused a Blu-Ray disc playback and a few moments later resumed playing without my intervention. This was the fist Blu-Ray playback that paused and resumed a few times.

On all these occasions I turned the player off, unplugged the AC power, waited a few seconds and turned it back on. On one particular occasion I reset the player completely, but at no avail. After unplugging it from the AC outlet and turning it on sorted out the freezing issue.

My playback system consists of an Onkyo SR-605 A/V receiver and a Samsung UN55B8000 LCD set, all connected by first class CAT-2 (high speed) HDMI cables. I also use a power conditioner for all components.

To the best of my knowledge, the latest firmware version is 1.53. I read somewhere else in the Internet that an end user had a similar problem with his BDP8000 but was cured with a new firmware that was not mentioned in his posting.

I firmly believe that a similar firmware modification may cure the freezing issue in my unit as well.

To that effect I contacted the Philips Support in São Paulo, Brazil, where the Philips main offices are located. Nevertheless, I have yet to get an answer from them. In the meantime, I thought that I would be better off by describing the freezing issue to this forum and possibly getting advice or an answer.

Prior to the BDP8000 I was using a Panasonic DMP-BD30 for years and had no disc freezing issues.

The Philips BDP8000 is a very good player, but it has some minor bugs. For example, when I first installed it I queried for a firmware update via the Internet but the player reported that there was none available. However, the Brazilian Philips site offered version 1.53 for download, and as a result I had to update the player with a flash drive.

Apart from that, the player is fast and performs quite well for DVDs.It would be a shame if no cure is found to this freezing issue.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 04-06-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Your freezing problem occurs only after the upgrade?

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

I installed the new firmware as soon as I got the player working, which means that I had no time to check any freezing with the older version.

This is the third Blu-Ray player that I own. Judging from past experiences the firmware update is necessary to prevent playback issues, not to introduce new ones. FYI I am always very careful with firmware downloads and installation.

As far as DVD playback is concerned I can rely on an Oppo 980H that I use in the system mainly for audio, which does not produce any freezing with my disc collection.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Just an update:

I installed the new firmware version 1.56 yesterday. The update does not address the playback freezing or at least it does not seem to.

Since my last freezing, and having to disconnect the player from the AC outlet once more, no more freezings have occurred.

I am not sure if a correction of anything can be remedied on-line and without user intervention. Every time there is a new update version (two in my case) the player does not find the update on line. I have to download it from the Brazilian website and update the player via USB.

In addition, since no answer has come in this thread from a Philips moderator, how is it possible to send a message to one of them?

My contacts with Philips Brazil were answered but no solution whatsoever has ever been given!

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdriveNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks
    Just find one of the posts from the moderator and click on his name, then you can send a PM

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip. I will do that soon!

I contacted Philips in São Paulo this wweekend, because I believe now that this is indeed a hardware fault which may not addressed by a firmware update.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I spoke to a Philips technician a fews days ago to discuss my case. He said that the player could not be mended and suggested me to bring it to an authorized service, wait 15 days and ask Philips for a replacement.

In my understanding it would be simpler if Philips decided to send me a replacement straight away, but the company demands an analysis supplied by a 3rd party technician. So be it. I wish this works!

I will not ask the thread to be closed so that others can read it and post their thoughts.
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 05-07-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Well, it so happens that the Philips authorized service decided to replace the optical drive and the main board of the player, instead of replacing the whole unit. Go figure!

They said to me that they did following instructions from Philips main engineers. Anyways...

I picked it up today, and I will put it to the test in the next days.

As a side note:

Since the main board was replaced the player came back with firmware version 1.41. Once on line it managed to find and install the newest firmware version via the Internet. This suggests that a bug was produced in later firmware versions, most likely the subsequent one, which prevents the player to update itself on line.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

or on the server side there was a misconfiguration that prevent to update to the latest version

The main thing is, that it works now.

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sadly, this does not seem to be the case for me. I have just noticed that the player updated to version 1.53 and not to version 1.56, as it should.

Since version 1.56 is downloadable from the Philips site for the BDP8000/78 the update must still be done manually.

The last message from the Philips mod to me said that they are aware of the problem and they are looking into it.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Glad to hear things are working for you now. If memory serves me righ, there was a post made by Philips (the moderator) about 1.53 beeing the latest version that players could find for themselves using the online update feature. I took that as a sign of Philips changing the upgrade process and rerouting it from using the player online route.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    That could be correct, but in this case Philips should have warned those concerned. I only learned of this forum after I started finding a solution to my problem in the Internet.

In my understanding, there are firmware versions between 1.41 and 1.53 where the update glitch must have started. If memory serves, my player came first with version 1.48 installed, which was unable to check anything. Apparently, Philips software engineers do not number these versions sequentially, such as 1.42, 1.43, etc., making it difficult for us to ascertain intermediate software version releases. Ultimately, it should be a matter of debugging those versions between 1.41 and 1.53, I guess.

I suppose that for this to work Philips must keep the newest versions on line at all times too. Also, there should be a warning at the player startup, informing the user that a new version is available. This is quite possible, because I have seen it in another brand's player. In the case of the Philips BDP8000 there is a snag though: the player does not go on line immediately after starting up, at least when it is wirelessly connected. In fact, it takes a little while, which is sufficient for one loading a disc and playing it, without noticing any warning message.
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 05-25-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

in the sub forum for the 5000 series it was discovered, that switching off all Easylink options (TV+BDP) "fixed" the freezing problem while playing videos. Maybe somebody could give it a try! Maybe only deactivation of the BDP Easylink settings is also enough...

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello,

The first installation of the BDP800 indeed defaults to HDMI-CEC, and although it seems to work correctly with my Samsung TV I had already made a decision not to use any HDMI-CEC at all in my system. Thus, as soon as I saw it working with the Philips, I disabled it in the player's setup.

So, as fas as I was concerned the previous DVD freezing glitch was not related to EasyLink or other HDMI-CEC devices in the system.

Tags for this Topic