Silver Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Unhappy over and out!

After having woken up the neighbours for the so manieth time tonight; the sound button that stopped working completely; the problems with the internet radio; and the poor WiFi reception I have had it. I will take my loss (no way I want to sell this thing to anyone) and put the AW2000 with the junk. 250 euros down the drain, but at least a lot less stress and most importantly a happy partner and neighbors.
    Later this week we will purchase a Sonos and hopefully leave this chapter behind us.
    Had Philips kept up with the pace of improving the software, which I expected, it might have had a chance. Now it is a frustrating story without an end.
    Thanks to the people at this forum that tried to help.

Marc

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I see that you live in The Netherlands, so do I, in Nijmegen to be exact. I am anything but a great electronics expert but I do have a certain amount of experience (more in the field of digital satellite equipment I admit) with malfunctioning software and network connections.

Throwing something in the trash sounds to me like a very radical thing to do. If you would like to send it to me just in case I might be able to get it right for you please send me a PM. Just remember, I can't make any promises and it might take some time but I am quite willing to try and help you free of any charge.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    hi marc hi paulvr

regrettably i m not in The Netherlands
    but marc (if you dont opt to send to paulvr), why not you go service centre? i m sure it's in warranty

n you mentioned the 'woken up the neighbors' issue... i'd like to understand further as someone mentioned that before also but without much details. do you mean when you turn on the set, the volume just tuned itself extremely loud? or you mean during playback, the volume suddenly go up?

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Why not a service center? Because except for the power button it is all software!!!!!
    Everything worked fine during one firmware version or another (I forgot what worked OK during what firmware version)
    I should mention that we have the machine in our bedroom and use it primarily at night and early morning.

1) On the last version I commented the following: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post57138. This was acknowledged and could even be reproduced in many cases. But? Nothing happened and the system became more and more unstable

2) The neighbors issue is also in this thread: last night when I started the machine the sound was on max (and yes, our neighbors have little children!) and I am certain I did not leave it at that level. This is a huge problem(!!!!!) and nothing is done about it. The fact that the sound button stopped working (also mentioned before: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post56946) did not help to resolve the situation.

3) Hick-ups: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post57073. Obviously nothing happened here as well. The hick-ups are related to the poor wifi reception imo. By the way, spotify and direct streaming fron the intranet also started to show these hick-ups. I monitored this and it is really the aw2000 that drops the connection because the signal is stable at these moments.

4) Internet connection: I even bought a new access point to provide the best signal possible: I am sending 17dBi (i.e. ~100mW) from a access point that is about 3 meters away. I measure with my tablet laying on the Aw2000 a signal of 50dB, which is extremely good. Also I see that it is by far the strongest signal around. What does the AW2000 say: I have a below average signal and the signal of the neighbors is stronger (????????).

5) internet radio: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...noying)-tricks

6) standby button in the app: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...y-doesn-t-work

Well and so I can go on and on. Buying this machine was a fail. My partner does not want to use it because of the crappy app. I do no longer dare to use it (nor am I allowed to) because of the sound levels and I do not want to use it because of the hick ups and stupid internet radio issues.

This whole endeavor started for me because my favorite radio channel decided to go internet only. I bought a squeezebox touch that works perfectly ok and that I have connected to my own amp downstairs. I wanted to buy a second squeezebox, but regrettably these are no longer sold. The aw2000 seemed the perfect solution as it integrated a amp and a internet streaming apparatus. The sound is really good, but the issues with the software are simply too big for function correctly. I don't want to spend my time on fiddling around with a app that does not work, I want to sit or lay down, relax, listen to my favorite music. And that is exactly what I expect Philips to deliver, nothing more, nothing less. They failed miserably. Now I go for a product that may be more expensive, but has a proven track record and good reviews: a Sonos connect:amp.
    Last edited by mmk; 07-24-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I feel your pain! I am just throwing in the towel on Philips Customer Service AND products that just die after a few years of use. I have given them more than 6 months to solve my problem OR offer a reasonable solution that would keep me as a customer, but as you put it, trusting them to do this has been a massive FAIL.

I will be posting my experience on the HTS8100 thread that I started months ago. Additionally, I work in a pretty public position helping early stage firms to grow in Europe. So my website gets a fair amount of traffic from people who will probably read the story and maybe it will influence these people to look elsewhere.

Sorry, Philips... I really gave you a chance to fix things. And I really liked the product. But when a company can't get its act together, then I might as well go to the competition and if anyone asks me why, I will tell them...

Quote Originally Posted by mmk View Post
    Why not a service center? Because except for the power button it is all software!!!!!
    Everything worked fine during one firmware version or another (I forgot what worked OK during what firmware version)
    I should mention that we have the machine in our bedroom and use it primarily at night and early morning.

1) On the last version I commented the following: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post57138. This was acknowledged and could even be reproduced in many cases. But? Nothing happened and the system became more and more stable

2) The neighbors issue is also in this thread: last night when I started the machine the sound was on max (and yes, our neighbors have little children!) and I am certain I did not leave it at that level. This is a huge problem(!!!!!) and nothing is done about it. The fact that the sound button stopped working (also mentioned before: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post56946) did not help to resolve the situation.

3) Hick-ups: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post57073. Obviously nothing happened here as well. The hick-ups are related to the poor wifi reception imo. By the way, spotify and direct streaming fron the intranet also started to show these hick-ups. I monitored this and it is really the aw2000 that drops the connection because the signal is stable at these moments.

4) Internet connection: I even bought a new access point to provide the best signal possible: I am sending 17dBi (i.e. ~100mW) from a access point that is about 3 meters away. I measure with my tablet laying on the Aw2000 a signal of 50dB, which is extremely good. Also I see that it is by far the strongest signal around. What does the AW2000 say: I have a below average signal and the signal of the neighbors is stronger (????????).

5) internet radio: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...noying)-tricks

6) standby button in the app: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...y-doesn-t-work

Well and so I can go on and on. Buying this machine was a fail. My partner does not want to use it because of the crappy app. I do no longer dare to use it (nor am I allowed to) because of the sound levels and I do not want to use it because of the hick ups and stupid internet radio issues.

This whole endeavor started for me because my favorite radio channel decided to go internet only. I bought a squeezebox touch that works perfectly ok and that I have connected to my own amp downstairs. I wanted to buy a second squeezebox, but regrettably these are no longer sold. The aw2000 seemed the perfect solution as it integrated a amp and a internet streaming apparatus. The sound is really good, but the issues with the software are simply too big for function correctly. I don't want to spend my time on fiddling around with a app that does not work, I want to sit or lay down, relax, listen to my favorite music. And that is exactly what I expect Philips to deliver, nothing more, nothing less. They failed miserably. Now I go for a product that may be more expensive, but has a proven track record and good reviews: a Sonos connect:amp.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear both,

Please see our remark below in orange:

1) On the last version I commented the following: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post57138. This was acknowledged and could even be reproduced in many cases. But? Nothing happened and the system became more and more stable => We can’t reproduce the problem with Standby button on the App, did you try to use standby button on the AW2000 ? Your input is very valuable because we really would like to have more info to fix it. We have a newer firmware version to improve the sound control, which will be properly released in next week.

2) The neighbors issue is also in this thread: last night when I started the machine the sound was on max (and yes, our neighbors have little children!) and I am certain I did not leave it at that level. This is a huge problem(!!!!!) and nothing is done about it. The fact that the sound button stopped working (also mentioned before: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post56946) did not help to resolve the situation. => Same as above

3) Hick-ups: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post57073. Obviously nothing happened here as well. The hick-ups are related to the poor wifi reception imo. By the way, spotify and direct streaming fron the intranet also started to show these hick-ups. I monitored this and it is really the aw2000 that drops the connection because the signal is stable at these moments. => It will be improved in next release

4) Internet connection: I even bought a new access point to provide the best signal possible: I am sending 17dBi (i.e. ~100mW) from a access point that is about 3 meters away. I measure with my tablet laying on the Aw2000 a signal of 50dB, which is extremely good. Also I see that it is by far the strongest signal around. What does the AW2000 say: I have a below average signal and the signal of the neighbors is stronger (????????). => It will be improved in next release

5) internet radio: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...noying)-tricks => We are working on this issue with TuneIn.

6) standby button in the app: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...y-doesn-t-work => There are some improvement in the new firmware release.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team
    Last edited by Philips - QK; 07-25-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Corrected comment for point 6.
    Forum Mod

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear Marc,

The firmware has been released.
    Details please see: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...w&goto=newpost

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team
    Forum Mod

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I have seen the new release and uploaded it this morning. I will have a closer look later today.

concerning the standby button in the app: what happpens is the following: if I touch the standby button in the app (using a nexus 7 tablet with android 4.2.2.) a few things might happen:
    1) nothing: about 60% of the cases
    2) music playback stops, but turns on again immediatlely (at a much higher sound level)
    3) music playback stops and does not turn on again. However, the aw2000 does not go into sleep mode.
    4) (very rarely) the thing really goes into standby/sleep mode, the lights go out (except the green led), the button in the app turns red,)

Using the button on the machine always gives the expected behavior.

Marc
    Last edited by mmk; 07-25-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear fduvall,

Understood that your case is on HTS8100 and has been taken offline as Spain CC has directly contacted you on this. Your case shall be close in the forum.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team
    Forum Mod

Silver Member
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Marc,

Are your testing with the new firmware or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by mmk View Post
    I have seen the new release and uploaded it this morning. I will have a closer look later today.

concerning the standby button in the app: what happpens is the following: if I touch the standby button in the app (using a nexus 7 tablet with android 4.2.2.) a few things might happen:
    1) nothing: about 60% of the cases
    2) music playback stops, but turns on again immediatlely (at a much higher sound level)
    3) music playback stops and does not turn on again. However, the aw2000 does not go into sleep mode.
    4) (very rarely) the thing really goes into standby/sleep mode, the lights go out (except the green led), the button in the app turns red,)

Using the button on the machine always gives the expected behavior.

Marc

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Since yesterday yes. Again major improvements. Let's see how this will go in the near future. The only reason I am testing is that I haven't stopped with this is that I haven't found the time to buy a sonos yet. We decided to postpone that idea for the time being. But we remain sceptical.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Perhaps a rather simple question: if the internet connection point is only 3 meteres away, why do you insist on using wireless??? You would undoubtedly get better results using a wired connection to the internet modem. I am speaking of my so far excellent experiences with the AW9000, of course I can't judge possible deviations when using the AW2000 but if I were in your situation I'd first use an Ethernet wire if it only needs to cover 3 metres.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Cause there is a wall in between :-) . The reception with the new firmware is a million times better and stable, by the way

Silver Member
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - QK View Post
    1) On the last version I commented the following: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post57138. This was acknowledged and could even be reproduced in many cases. But? Nothing happened and the system became more and more stable => We can’t reproduce the problem with Standby button on the App, did you try to use standby button on the AW2000 ? Your input is very valuable because we really would like to have more info to fix it. We have a newer firmware version to improve the sound control, which will be properly released in next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - QK View Post
    2) The neighbors issue is also in this thread: last night when I started the machine the sound was on max (and yes, our neighbors have little children!) and I am certain I did not leave it at that level. This is a huge problem(!!!!!) and nothing is done about it. The fact that the sound button stopped working (also mentioned before: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ll=1#post56946) did not help to resolve the situation. => Same as above
    Why didn't you write that you haven't been able to reproduce these issues in the threads where they were raised? As stated in Feedback it's rather annoying not to get such feedback. It could be we were able to provide more detailed info to help you reproduce the error. In this way we just feel ignored and that our efforts in reporting back doesn't really matter. Especially the issue concerning sound volume is a big problem for me and apparently for Marc as well.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I think I have made a few steps in figuring out what goes wrong, this includes the standby butten issue.

I have my WAN configured to to work with 802.11b/g/n at 2.4GHz and 802.11a/n for 5 GHz. only the first is of concern to the AW2000 (according to the specs).
    The AW2000 should also be able to work with these three standards. However, as soon as the AW2 is using the WAN, the whole systems becomes unstable. When (on the access point) I disable the 802.11n transmittance, all is perfectly stable again. This includes the stanby button-issue, the hick-ups and everything.
    I am not yet a 100% sure who is the culprit here. Is it the aw2 that brings the network down? Or another client (unlikely), or is it the access point (not so sure, since I can reproduce it more than one access point, of different brands).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast