Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Stereo vs Multichannel

Stereo vs Multichannel
    There is a strange policy with my 40pfl8007 regarding the sound output mode, stereo or Multichannel.
    Sound output means in general that a receiver is connected. You let the receiver decide what format the output will be. Now, below the result of choosing multichannel output mode in the sound settings.
    Sound from normal tv channels:
    My provider broadcasts stereo (2.0) – So the output to my receiver is 2.0 (even in multichannel outmode in set ON). This is good. I can let my receiver decide if I want to encode it to 5.1 Dolby PLII or just leave in 2.0
    Sound from Network Browsing:
    The source is a movie original multichannel sound (5.1 dolby) – Output is 5.1. Fine no problem.

Now the problem; when playing music from network mode:
    Music is almost always stereo (2.0). Here it goes wrong. Philips will encode this into a 5.1 (Dolby PLxx) format! . As said before, this does not occur in TV mode. Basically I want my receiver to encode it! This results into a horrible sound, with very low volume.
    NB. The sound is fine when choosing “stereo” from the tv settings.
    Now I have to choose stereo in settings to play Music and switch again when I want to play a 5.1 original Movie.
    In short Philips: please do not encode 2.0 sound into 5.1 sound when multichannel output is on.

BTW: NOT supporting DTS just shows me at what level we are dealing with here, when it comes to sound support from philips. A simple 50 euro media player supports it all, without above issues.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroenski View Post
    Stereo vs Multichannel
    There is a strange policy with my 40pfl8007 regarding the sound output mode, stereo or Multichannel.
    Sound output means in general that a receiver is connected. You let the receiver decide what format the output will be. Now, below the result of choosing multichannel output mode in the sound settings.
    Sound from normal tv channels:
    My provider broadcasts stereo (2.0) – So the output to my receiver is 2.0 (even in multichannel outmode in set ON). This is good. I can let my receiver decide if I want to encode it to 5.1 Dolby PLII or just leave in 2.0
    Sound from Network Browsing:
    The source is a movie original multichannel sound (5.1 dolby) – Output is 5.1. Fine no problem.

Now the problem; when playing music from network mode:
    Music is almost always stereo (2.0). Here it goes wrong. Philips will encode this into a 5.1 (Dolby PLxx) format! . As said before, this does not occur in TV mode. Basically I want my receiver to encode it! This results into a horrible sound, with very low volume.
    NB. The sound is fine when choosing “stereo” from the tv settings.
    Now I have to choose stereo in settings to play Music and switch again when I want to play a 5.1 original Movie.
    In short Philips: please do not encode 2.0 sound into 5.1 sound when multichannel output is on.

BTW: NOT supporting DTS just shows me at what level we are dealing with here, when it comes to sound support from philips. A simple 50 euro media player supports it all, without above issues.

Hi Jeroenski,

Does this only happen with audio files in 2.0 stereo or also with video files in 2.0 stereo?

When you are playing the audio track is this over network as well? If yes, do you experience the same thing when played from a USB stick?

How is your receiver connected to the TV? What is the model of your receiver?

Would you be able to send us one of the audio tracks? You can use Dropbox and send the link to me in a PM.

Best regards,
    Ina

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Philips - Ina For This Useful Post:

jeroenski (07-26-2013)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Dear Ina,
    Based on your response, I did some more investigation with several file formats via USB stick. It displays the same behavior as via network play. As said before, in Tv watching mode there is no difference between stereo and multichannel mode.

I have to alter my original message a little bit. When playing 2.0 sources (music mp3 and video), I do not think it is transformed to a 5.1 format; I am not sure because the sound comes out form L/ R speaker only. What I do know, is that it transcoded into a Dolby format. My receiver (Pioneer vsx-500/ Denon-AVR 1911) both tell me this via input signal information. This Dolby format transforms the sound into a bad quality and very LOW volume.
    For Dolby 5.1 sound sources it is fine. Volume and quality remain the same.

The receiver is not the problem, they are set to “auto” modes.

On the TV: when choosing stereo (instead of multichannel) in sound output settings, the sound is not transcoded into a dolby format. This is preferred, in my opinion. Basically, the whole option multichannel/ stereo makes no sence and has no added value. Normally you let the receiver decide what to do with the sound source.

All 2.0 sound sources show the same behavior, mp3/ wma/ divx etc.

Like I said before, I do not understand why the TV transforms sound sources into a dolby format, in multichannel mode/ usb network play. Do whatever you want for the internal speakers (incredible 3D or whatever), but for audio OUTPUT, do not touch it, just pass through.

Connection is HDMI (arc)
    Last edited by jeroenski; 07-26-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    conversion will be done by your meidashare program in your computer and not by the tv.

which share program do you use?
    is this Twonky?
    check settings for conversion of files.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    It's not due to twonky, but by the tv itself as it only occurs when audio output settings is set to multichannel.

Btw, it also does this through USB play.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroenski View Post
    It's not due to twonky, but by the tv itself as it only occurs when audio output settings is set to multichannel.

Btw, it also does this through USB play.

Hi Jeroenski,

I have forwarded this on to development and am awaiting further information from them regarding this. I will get back to you as soon as I have any additional information or questions.

Best regards,
    Ina