• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Philips TV is not DMR certified... It is not high quality TV via DLNA

Although a bit late, I realized that my Philips TV is not a high quality TV via DLNA, because it is not DMR DLNA certified. Only it is certified DMP.
    DMR certified y W7 certified, are a logo stands more?. No, unfortunately for those who have recently paid a high-end Philips TV in very high cost.

In a nutshell:
    DMR (Digital Media Renderers) is the device's ability to do PUSH. It's smart. Understand the possibilities that the Media Server (DMS) offers and is able to intelligently select the best playback high definition suited to their own technical capabilities. Intelligently communicates with the Media Server, more intelligent as Media Server and DMR will get better results.
    DMP (Digital Media Player) is the device's ability to do PULL. Not smart. Only able to access files stored on the Media Server and play only those files whose multimedia codecs that are supported natively by the player from the TV.

Our Philips TV via DLNA is not smart because it is not DMR certified and it is not fully integrated with W7 did not meet the requirements to be W7-Play-To certified, or any other Media Server DLNA 1.5 certified with Play-To feature..

For more information, can consult the following simple and interesting article: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...tified-tv.aspx

Philips TV and Toshiba TV are DLNA 1.5 certified, but:
    Toshiba TV is a DMP and DMR certified.
    Philips TV only is a DMP.
    To check http://www.dlna.org/products can access and select "Play To" Receiver in features, and Philips in Manufacturer, shows no Philips TV with that feature. If we select only Manufacturer Philips and after we select top model 58PFL9955 TV, shows Product Type: Digital Media Player (DMP) and Certification Date: 4/27/2010. If we select any Toshiba TV model with "Play To" Receiver in features, shows Product Type: Digital Media Player (DMP) Digital Media Renderer (DMR).

Toshiba TV is better than Philips TV via DLNA.

That Philips TV is not DMR certified:
    Is the reason that problems occur FastForward / FastBackrward in certain cases?.
    Is the reason of occurrence of lack of synchronization between image and sound in certain cases?.
    Jumping on the playback speed in certain cases?.
    Any other possible problems that cause poor also via DLNA?
    I guess they owe more to the lack of codec support more correct, but I doubt whether it would require not resolve, in part, such problems obtaining certified DLNA DMR y W7 certified.
    What seems certain is that the problems of poor reproduction, when using a Media Server with the feature Play-To certified (eg W7) that performs transcoding when the codec is not supported natively by the Philips TV, must that Philips TV is not DMR certified.
    What is clear is that there are other devices on the market DMR cetified which there are no such problems.

However, for those who possess a Philips TV device, the most important question would be:
    Are Philips ready for DMR certified?.
    Are Philips doing something for DMR certified?.
    In the event that Philips obtain DMR certified in the future, will update the firmware of the current TV-DMP to be DMR also?.

@ Philips, can you give any official information on this matter, however slight?.
    Thanks in advance.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Jomsp,

From my personal experience: I never went to look for the DLNA certification of my TV, nevertheless, I use different PUSH applications with the TV. For instance, I can use:

* the "play to" feature of WMP12
    * TwonkyBeam with IE and Chrome
    * Philips Remote Control app for iTouch/iPhone/iPad
    * Philips Wifi Media Connect application

I think the most important thing is that the app that you use identifies the capabilities of the TV. Philips does say the device is DLNA 1.5 certified, don't specify DMP or DMR, maybe they didn't want to pay for DMR license? I don't care as long as it works!

Silver Member
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    FF/REW works with any DLNA 1.5 media server.

The problem is that most free media server software is UPnP AV compliant, which seems to be a more "open", free protocol.
    TVersity is not recommendable to use with our Philips TV sets, as it is only UPnP compliant, although Philips recommends it in the user manuals. (!)
    Also, TVersity has no support at all - their official forum is a joke.
    DLNA is licenced and most media servers that comply with DLNA 1.5 are not free, like Mezzmo.

I have no relation at all with Mezzmo, I've bought it after testing it for some days.
    What I can say is that it works (I only use it for video files) and Mezzmo has the best support I've seen, just take a look at their official forum (google for Mezzmo).
    I only dream that Philips had that kind of support, for their customers.
    Australians do it better?

I would suggest Philips to work with Mezzmo and perfect the DLNA on their TVs, while Mezzmo fine-tunes their support for Philips gear.
    The Mezzmo guys are really helpful.
    Last edited by carlosfm; 04-13-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Must agree with carlosfm here. Mezzmo also works great with my Philips TV. Tried all others and Mezzmo was easily the best. Their customer support guys are very helpful and are always improving support for devices.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sngbcn View Post
    Hi Jomsp,

From my personal experience: I never went to look for the DLNA certification of my TV, nevertheless, I use different PUSH applications with the TV. For instance, I can use:

* the "play to" feature of WMP12
    * TwonkyBeam with IE and Chrome
    * Philips Remote Control app for iTouch/iPhone/iPad
    * Philips Wifi Media Connect application

I think the most important thing is that the app that you use identifies the capabilities of the TV. Philips does say the device is DLNA 1.5 certified, don't specify DMP or DMR, maybe they didn't want to pay for DMR license? I don't care as long as it works!
    Yes, I agree in part of your approach.

Especially useful seems Philips Media Connect, a great exclusive application of Philips via DLNA, that replace, in part, the weakness of Philips TV for not be DMR certified or not support some codecs. On the other hand, allows projection in our Philips TV any content displayed on the screen of the monitor PC, and this extends far beyond the capabilities of the Philips TV via DLNA. Philips Media Connect is a Philips competitive advantage, in this respect, Philips TV is better than Toshiba TV and the other brands of TV.

Kudos to Philips for its application Media Connect via DLNA.

One thing does not remove the other.
    Last edited by Jomsp; 04-14-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    Must agree with carlosfm here. Mezzmo also works great with my Philips TV. Tried all others and Mezzmo was easily the best. Their customer support guys are very helpful and are always improving support for devices.
    And to prove what we are saying, version 2.3.0 is out today:

http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread...-available-now

Here's the relevant part:

"New: Device support for Philips 7000 series TVs.
    Improved: Support for MPEG-TS format on Philips TVs.
    "