Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

s-video on 47PFL7008k/12

Hi,

Before I begin please excuse my english as it isn't my native language, I'll try to explain as good as I can.
    I recently bought a new 47PFL7008k/12 television.
    I'm having issues hooking up one of my old gameconsoles (N64).
    The picture looks terrible over composite which is kind of to be expected with such a large screen.
    Dot crawl and fuzz all over the place. Other then that the picture appears somehow schrunk in size and towards the bottom of my display no matter which zoom setting I try it's always messed up somehow.

In order to improve the situation I bought an S-Video cable for my console with an s-video to scart adapter so I can hook it up to the scart input.
    Display quality is even worse like this, dot crawl is gone but colors appear washed out and there's a lot of flicker and some sort af chromatic abaration going on.
    The image still looks shrunk as well.
    Considering that I still get colors and not black and white I assume this Television does indeed support s-video over scart (luminance and chrominace).

I tested this exact same setup on my 32PFL5606H in my bedroom and the picture is sharp with bright colors and fullscreen.

Below are 2 example pictures. Pictures might be a little fuzzy because they are taken with my cellphone.
    (just noticed I took them on the lowest quality setting)
    In real life the difference in quality is quite dramatic.
    Can anyone please explain what's going on and if there is a possible fix.

Picture on 32PFL5606H looks fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32PFL.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	2184
    Picture on 47PFL7008k is rubbish.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47PFL.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	2183
    Last edited by Flexis; 08-21-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Very usefull forum this where no one at Philips bothers to reply.
    This television is starting to frustrate me.

I even have to unplug the damn thing once a day or it refuses to boot up.
    Ambilight lounge mode almost never works and if you can get it to work you can't turn it off, you have to turn on and off the tv several times whith the display showing al random colors untill it eventually turns off completely. I'm waiting for some serious bugfixing update here!
    Last edited by Flexis; 08-21-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexis View Post
    Very usefull forum this where no one at Philips bothers to reply.
    This television is starting to frustrate me.

I even have to unplug the damn thing once a day or it refuses to boot up.
    Ambilight lounge mode almost never works and if you can get it to work you can't turn it off, you have to turn on and off the tv several times whith the display showing al random colors untill it eventually turns off completely. I'm waiting for some serious bugfixing update here!

Hi Flexis,

This is mainly a user to user support forum and due to this, expecting a reply from the moderators within 24 hours is unfortunately not realistic.

I have however been looking into your issue and have some suggestions and questions regarding the N64 connection:

Have you tried connecting another SCART device such as a DVD player? Do you get the same result?

Is the picture also fussy if you set the picture format to Unscaled?

What is the max. resolution of you N64? Which resolution is it currently set to?

Full HD LCD screens are unfortunately not designed with SD in mind, and this can create compatibillity issues, especially when many converters / adapters are used in a single connection.

In regards to the other issues you are experiencing, please ensure you have the latest software version installed.

Best regards,
    Ina

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Ina and thanks for your reply.

I looked into updating my TV.
    Even though it's only 2 weeks old it was still on the very first firmware version.
    When selecting to update from the internet in the update menu it would state that is was on the last version. Apparently this was not correct so I updated manually through usb.
    On first sight I can't tell much difference. The loungelight feature still does not work properly however I guess it is off topic in this forum section, will have to wait a few day's to see if any startup issues persist.

Regarding the N64 gameconsole. Output format is either 240p or 480i depending on the game, this can not be changed. I tried both possibilities with identical result.

On my 32inch 32PFL5606H (which is also Full HD) picture quality looks as expected over s-video, very close to what you would expect from RGB with no fuzz or flickering or any other weird artifacts and fullscreen. It almost looks like a digital signal although a low res one.

On my new 47inch 47PFL7008k the aspect ratio is messed up, colors are washed out, I get some kind if flickering chromatic abaration (only way I can describe it) and other artefacts.
    It's basically far from same quality picture I get on the 32inch even when taking the larger screen into consideration.
    A lot worse then what I get from analog cable for example.

Some other weird thing has happened after the software update as well, the unscaled image is now larger and offset to the right.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47inch update.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	2188

Regarding other equipment, my DVD/VCR combo player which outputs in RGB over scart is displaying just fine.
    However this is RGB and not s-video or composite.

I've never had any issues like this on any other television set with this particular game console.
    I think the tv is not interpreting the signal right somehow.
    Last edited by Flexis; 08-21-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Flexis,

I have been looking into the matter a little deeper and have had our technical expert on the case as well.

S-Video to SCART conversion is not supported on your TV per se, as S-Video is not part of the SCART standard.

Because S-Video is becoming an obsolete connection type this type of SCART support is no longer being implemented in modern HD TVs, which is the reason why you are experiencing a washed out colour representation. This is due to the signal levels being reduced when reaching the TV via SCART.

You said you tried to connect via composite but experienced dot crawl. Unfortunately that cannot be avoided when using composite, but may be the best type of connection in this case. Of course that is up to you.

So unfortunately your N64 simply isn't compatible with the 7008 TV if you chose to use the S-Video connection.

Best regards,
    Ina

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Image is still shrunken and off to the bottom right corner even with composite!

Also strange that s-video is not supported as I would expect black and white image then instead.

Why does my cheap 32inch model suppport it perfectly and the expensive model don't?