Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks
    I'm glad to see these confirmations and I really hope it will all work out very well, for us loyal customers (I've never owned a tv other than Philips), as well as for you Philips guys! Keep up the good work and... make things better!...

Silver Member
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Dear Philips,
    Thank you for your explanation.. Consumer rights or brand may stay as you say.

Apearances, when an electronic giant to hand over %70 of their share to some other company instantly leaving the right to receive another %30 of the share in a few years time tells me things didn't work out too well for them.

I think there is some problem with the message of the Reuters. I do not perceived the way you have said.
    Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by Philips View Post
    We fully understand your questions about the coming Philips-TPV joint-venture.

Maybe we can answer already some of them:

Q: What did Philips announce and when?
    A: Philips announced that it plans to enter a joint venture partnership for its Television business with TPV Technology. TPV is one of the largest manufacturers of Televisions in the world. Together they plan to become a major player in Television globally. They announced this news on Monday, April 18 2011.

Q: Why is Philips doing this?
    A: Philips is doing this to create a stronger Television business. This partnership places Philips Television business at the core of an industry ecosystem, which has television and its components as its strategic focus. The joint venture will leverage the strength of the Philips brand, innovation power and trade relationships, with the additional scale and manufacturing strengths of TPV.

Q: Does it mean Philips is leaving the Television business?
    A: No. It means Philips wants to make it stronger.

Q: Will Philips Television continue to be made? Will Philips continue to bring new ranges to the market?
    A: Yes. Philips Televisions will continue to be made. Philips already launched a new range of Televisions in March and will have a new range in September.

Q: I own a Philips television does anything change for me?
    A: No, nothing changes. The warranty, guarantee and support stay the same.

Q: I want to buy a Philips Television, does anything change for me?
    A: No, nothing changes. Philips’ commitments in terms of warranties and guarantees will remain unchanged. Philips Television will continue with great innovation in picture quality, SmartTV (incl. Net TV) and Cinema proportion Televisions (like Cinema 21:9).
    Last edited by Philips; 04-22-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,271
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosfm View Post
    Dear Philips, Thank you for the clarification and for allowing us to share service manuals in your forum.
    Unfortunately we cannot support the (unofficial) spread of Service Manuals via this channel. Therefore we will remove the hyperlinks.
    Last edited by Philips; 04-22-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips
    Unfortunately we cannot support the (unofficial) spread of Service Manuals via this channel. Therefore we will remove the hyperlinks.
    But Philips can spread the official free open opensource existing codecs in 'my' tv and their forums ;-)
    Let me handle other documentation less important.

Franck

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

you can download the open source package for your TV...

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by tolgaakcan View Post
    Dear Philips,
    I think there is some problem with the message of the Reuters. I do not perceived the way you have said.
    Thanks..
    No, you are right
    30% for Philips et 70% for TPV
    TPV is going to decide everything !

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Honestly I am not fully convinced. A possible scenario is that after the due diligence the agreement does not happen, so we are stuck...

Moreover there are a number of issues which have been highlighted in the forum which have never materialised... will these be fixed before the aquisition or after? My feeling is that once the takeover occurs the support for the existant models will simply be not existant.

It is very simple for philips to give re-assurance that support will be there, but the new owners will surely have a different opinion on the matter.... If one is to buy a new TV right now it would be best to stay away from Philips. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years time Philips will be a good company but right now it would be ideal to wait for the transition period to pass and then re-evaluate.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I see there are concerns about what to do with our TV's. TPV will be a big share holder with %70 having the right of buying rest of the %30 that clearly suggests me that Philips hands over TV section.
    I do not think we as customers will be effected as much...
    After all TPV is unknown brand..
    At least I don't know them...
    So they are going to have to use Philips brand using same service centers.
    So no need to panic..

I still don't understand how is a company like Philips taking such a sharp decision. They make great TV's.
    Last edited by tolgaakcan; 04-25-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tolgaakcan View Post
    I still don't understand how is a company like Philips taking such a sharp decision. They make great TV's.
    Hi,

only good financial numbers count at the end... and since the TV devision wasn't profitable it was the only logical step for Philips...

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips View Post
    Philips Television will continue with great innovation in picture quality, SmartTV (incl. Net TV) and Cinema proportion Televisions (like Cinema 21:9).
    Now "SmartTV" seems to be the new promotion bubble of content business to confuse customers. But the hope in getting the full integration of HbbTV-standards as claimed last year will never come
    Please first have a look in better implementing the basics of provider independent DVB-Standards and customer friendly organisation of larger channel lists.
    Last edited by ahasver; 04-28-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosfm View Post
    I'm worried.
    AOC, based in Hong Kong...
    So am I. I fear the quality of the TVs will go down big time from using cheap chinese parts.

Back in 2006-2008 or so Samsung used cheap chinese capacitors (Samwha) for their TVs which significantly lowered the quality of their TVs. Many of them died and had to be repaired after only a year or two. Since then Samsung fortunately got smarter and now use high quality japanese capacitors in their TVs. But I would hate to see the same happening to Philips.

But having a TV breaking down after a year or two is unacceptable. Most people (non-tech geeks who don't get the latest and greatest all the time) expect their TV to last for at least a decade. Heck, my parents still have a 35 year old TV that still works (which also happens to be a Philips).
    Last edited by Freddo; 05-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    as Iranian fan of Philips i feel very bad about this news,
    i cant understand why Europe peoples don't support they industry and this happen to their brands
    why we must buy garbage from china and Koreans , bad quality, bad materials ,bad for health , they just using of plastic because they don't have iron mine in their country
    its very bad , no more TV Production in Europe , and bad harmony and bad fashion designed from china and Korea i buy many Philips products from here Iran without any support and service center, because i believe in originality and quality of Philips, but in Europa peoples buy Samsung and LG because of their products is cheap
    i hate Korean design and quality , i guess they will eat world very soon and they will attack to other brands like a Siemens
    with all respect i fear for losing our choice to select our favorites brands ...
    Sorry for my bad English

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    My opinion about this is simple: we have lost respect for our jobs in Europe.
    The issues in the past were a bad firmware update was distributed in Friday, and nobody cared enough to fix this until the weekend was over, is a sad indication of this...

The fact that they have never corrected even the spelling mistakes in the firmwares for a year now, is a second sad observation...

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,271
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
    as Iranian fan of Philips i feel very bad about this news,
    i cant understand why Europe peoples don't support they industry and this happen to their brands
    why we must buy garbage from china and Koreans , bad quality, bad materials ,bad for health , they just using of plastic because they don't have iron mine in their country
    its very bad , no more TV Production in Europe , and bad harmony and bad fashion designed from china and Korea i buy many Philips products from here Iran without any support and service center, because i believe in originality and quality of Philips, but in Europa peoples buy Samsung and LG because of their products is cheap
    i hate Korean design and quality , i guess they will eat world very soon and they will attack to other brands like a Siemens
    with all respect i fear for losing our choice to select our favorites brands ...
    Sorry for my bad English

Hi Kamran,

Thanks for your post. Great to hear that we also have fans/forum readers in Iran!

To elucidate a little on your remarks: Sad to see how our 'bad press release' has created such a distorted image.

Only the ownership changes, not the products or the people (in principle all current Philips TV employees will go over and will form the new company!).
    - We continue to produce in Europe,
    - We continue to design in Europe,
    - We remain a European brand (with HQ in Amsterdam, the Netherlands).

Compare it with Volvo who is also half Chinese owned. Few people will point at a Volvo and say Chinese car!

Regards,
    JuAn.
    Last edited by Philips; 06-20-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    Forum Mod

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Idon't think quality is entirely related to country or location. Philips made some of their goods in china. does it make it any worse. I think not..Investment always has a tendency towards high ROI rates. If china gives that it has to follow it. Brand is a name based on believes generated deliberately by communication program off course supported by quality of a good.
    China unfortunately does not tend to deliver good image and always reminds doggy stuff. However that doesn't justify every china made is like that. Sony is made in china, Not only that %90 percent of everything is made in china. But some of it is rubbish because market requires as such. Brand asks for lesser quality in raw material to reduce the cost so that they avoid to let go their employees. As conscious customers, we have to demand good merc with better customer service behind. Location shouldn't matter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast