• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Connecting 32PFL8605H to LG NB4530A Sound bar over HDMI ARC

I'm connecting my new LG NB4530A Sound bar to my Philips 32PFL8605H TV via the HDMI ARC port. I've turned on EasyLink, EasyLink Remote, Auto Start speakers and HDMI ARC. On start up the TV says it's found an external amplifier, however it then switches the sound bar input to Optical instead of ARC. If I change input on the sound bar to ARC, the TV speakers switch back on, and the sound bar gets muted. Only way around this is by going into the Easylink settings menu and switching the TV Speakers to off and then back to "Easylink" or "Easylink Auto Start". Then there is only sound from the sound bar, the TV remote and sound bar remote both control the volume and everything seems to play nice.
    As soon as I switch off the TV (fully off or just standby) and back on again, I have to go through the same rigmarole.

I've tried eliminating options (such as the Cable box/DVD player also connected to other HDMI ports on the TV), getting new 1.4 HDMI cables, playing around with various Easylink settings but I still have this problem. My TV has the latest firmware, but that hasn't been updated in quite a while.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It may be the sound bar that's the problem, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen similar issues.
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Last edited by ptha; 11-13-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I've done a bit of research and it seems that this is a known issue with HDMI Protocol problems between my TV 32PFL8605H, and my digital HD receiver - a UPC Horizon box. It's documented on this support forum: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...eferrerid=8200
    I'm also having an intermittent problem whereby the audio and video both cut out for a second and then both return to normal which is annoying. This has also been implicated as being a HDMI protocol problem between these 2 pieces of hardware.

There seems to be a difference of opinion of whose problem this is, with UPC blaming Philips and vice versa.

My question to Philips is, are there any plans to release some new firmware for the 32PFL8605H to resolve all of the HDMI protocol incompatibility issues?
    Last edited by ptha; 12-18-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Some further info, this issue actually has been addressed by a firmware update for the 47PFL4307K/12 TV see: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/o...global&slg=aen

From the release notes:
    Q554E_0.97.0.0 (Date published: 2013-04-08)
    Intermittently losing picture and sound.
    Audio, picture and/or signal dropouts when watching TV via a Freebox set-top box connected via HDMI.
    Video and audio loss via HDMI connection with UPC Horizon set-top box.

The bolded text above is exactly the issue that I'm suffering from. Can any Philips representatives let me know if this fix will be backported to older TVs? Specifically the 32PFL8605H, or am I simply expected to buy a new television?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I have not heard anything from Philips on this so I doubt we will ever see the firmware fix that has been made for newer models.

However I have found a slightly less irritating work-around to having to go into the EasyLink menu in TV Settings every time the Sound bar is switched on.
    If when switching on the Sound bar, it then switches from ARC to Optical (muted) - using the Sound bar remote change back to ARC and unmute (you should now hear sound coming from TV and the Soundbar, then switch the Sound Bar off and back on again. The TV should then detect the External Amplifier and switch off the TV Speakers. I've found this method is slightly quicker than going into the Philips TV Settings (since you've already used the Sound bar remote to turn it on in the first place, and there are no menus to navigate). It's still a pain that the technology just doesn't "work" out of the box.

Note: as far as I know this information only applies to 32PFL8605H and LG NB4530A Sound bar over HDMI ARC. You mileage may vary with other TVs/Soundbars...