• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Angry 46PFL7007T12 will not start. Again.

Further to my earlier (now closed) post concerning my 46PFL7007T12 and it refusing to turn on.
    In May it developed a fault whereby it would not start, the standby led flashing blinking three times continually.
    The set went away for repair and engineer reported no fault found as it had turned on the moment the put it on a test bench.
    The set failed again in September with the same fault. It took ten days for an engineer to become available. During that time theses was unplugged but I checked it daily and tried to restart it without success, until 10 minutes before the engineer arrived and for no reason it stated. Obviously the engineer said there was no point in taking it away as it was working.
    It worked ok until tonight, when we returned from holiday. I switched the set on and it worked for about 10 minutes
    before switching off. It is now displaying the blinking three times LED and will not turn on.
    This tv really is the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. The retailer is now trying to tell me that they gave spoken to Philiips and say there is nothing wrong with my set and that it is in protect mode due to static build up and I should leave it unplugged for a couple of hours and it will be ok.
    Leaving it unplugged hasn't helped before, why should it now? And why hasn't this protect mode been mentioned before.?
    What does the LED blinking three times signify? Can someone give me a definitive answer?

Silver Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowboy63 View Post
    Further to my earlier (now closed) post concerning my 46PFL7007T12 and it refusing to turn on.
    In May it developed a fault whereby it would not start, the standby led flashing blinking three times continually.
    The set went away for repair and engineer reported no fault found as it had turned on the moment the put it on a test bench.
    The set failed again in September with the same fault. It took ten days for an engineer to become available. During that time theses was unplugged but I checked it daily and tried to restart it without success, until 10 minutes before the engineer arrived and for no reason it stated. Obviously the engineer said there was no point in taking it away as it was working.
    It worked ok until tonight, when we returned from holiday. I switched the set on and it worked for about 10 minutes
    before switching off. It is now displaying the blinking three times LED and will not turn on.
    This tv really is the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. The retailer is now trying to tell me that they gave spoken to Philiips and say there is nothing wrong with my set and that it is in protect mode due to static build up and I should leave it unplugged for a couple of hours and it will be ok.
    Leaving it unplugged hasn't helped before, why should it now? And why hasn't this protect mode been mentioned before.?
    What does the LED blinking three times signify? Can someone give me a definitive answer?
    The three times blinking LED indicates that the TV is in protection mode because the power supply voltage was outside its normal range. Most likely cause is a defective power supply, but it can also be a short circuit in another board. The failure can be intermittent so it may come and go randomly.
    Since you have now experienced the failure multiple times, normal repair procedure (in my opnion) would be to replace the power supply board, even if the failure is not visible during testing.

Anyhow, in case you manage to power-up the set again, you can check in the CSM if the fault is registered in the error log. That would help your discussions with service.

Try following:
    - Disconnect everything from the TV (including the antenna cable)
    - Disconnect from the mains for about an hour.
    - Reconnect to mains and try to power up.
    Last edited by L1Zeeman; 11-17-2013 at 02:28 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to L1Zeeman For This Useful Post:

Barrowboy63 (11-17-2013)

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. That's the first time anyone has been able to explain what the blinking indicates. The set has been unplugged from everything overnight. Still not working. When you say power supply fault, do you mean internally, or the supply from the mains? I ask as the set it connected via a surge protected socket and I've had no similar issues with sets lent to me while this one has been away for repair. I've also tried connecting it to different power sockets but it still won't turn on.
    I'm now getting to the point where I have no confidence in either the set or the Philips brand.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Barrowboy63;63039] When you say power supply fault, do you mean internally, or the supply from the mains? [QUOTE]

The internal power supply board, so it is the TV that needs to be repaired.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to L1Zeeman For This Useful Post:

Barrowboy63 (11-17-2013)

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Well, folks. It's good bye from me. My retailer has agreed that it is unacceptable for a TV to fail three times with the same fault in less than 10 months, and has agreed to refund me my money. After 14 years a Philips customer, my recent experiences have forced me to pastures new. Not sure if I'm going the Korean or Japanese way yet. I'm sorry that Philips, once a respected brand, seems to have fallen so far from its once high standards. Good luck, those who stick with Philips. I hope they improve.